Cape Town day tour questions

firstalaskatrip

We will have one full day in Cape Town in August. We would like to do a tour of Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope + the penguins at Boulder Beach. If we had time, we would be interested in combining this with a wine tour. My questions are:

1) What tour company do you recommend in Cape Town?

2) Do you think we would be too rushed if we tried to do the Cape and the winetour? It seems like the full day tours of the point do a boat trip to Seal Island and a stop at the gardens, which we would be ok skipping, but do they also offer a lot more time at each stop?

Any other suggestions of other things to do in our first afternoon there are welcome as well. Sadly, the table mountain tram is closed during the time of our stay.

Thanks so much!

You will not be able to do Cape Point AND the wine country in one day.

Cape Point is a good choice. The seals are nice to see..we always go see

them when there! The gardens are also lovely and you probably will not spend a lot of time in them but you will see things you have never seen before. The penguins are sweet..be sure to notice the little penguin "condos".

It seems as if the penguins were not building enough "homes" for nesting

and producing babies so they came up with the idea of little "condos" for them and you will see them scattered around as you walk to the beach!

The wine country is beautiful, our favorite place is LePetite Ferme for

lunch looking across the vineyards and the valley to the mountains.

Enjoy our favorite vacation spot!

Sherry & Kimber

You will not be able to do Cape Point AND the wine country in one day.

Cape Point is a good choice. The seals are nice to see..we always go see

them when there! The gardens are also lovely and you probably will not spend a lot of time in them but you will see things you have never seen before. The penguins are sweet..be sure to notice the little penguin "condos".

It seems as if the penguins were not building enough "homes" for nesting

and producing babies so they came up with the idea of little "condos" for them and you will see them scattered around as you walk to the beach!

The wine country is beautiful, our favorite place is LePetite Ferme for

lunch looking across the vineyards and the valley to the mountains.

Enjoy our favorite vacation spot!

Sherry & Kimber

Totally agree with Sherry and Kimber. It is either one or the other. Cape Point is a nice trip and a lot of things to see. If you go there, beware of the baboons. They will steal everything. Personally, if I had only one day, Cape Point would be my choice. It is a beautiful part of the world. Too bad the cable car up to Table Mountain is down. The scenery from up there is amazing. Enjoy your trip.

Bill

We will have one full day in Cape Town in August. We would like to do a tour of Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope + the penguins at Boulder Beach. If we had time, we would be interested in combining this with a wine tour. My questions are:

1) What tour company do you recommend in Cape Town?

2) Do you think we would be too rushed if we tried to do the Cape and the winetour? It seems like the full day tours of the point do a boat trip to Seal Island and a stop at the gardens, which we would be ok skipping, but do they also offer a lot more time at each stop?

Any other suggestions of other things to do in our first afternoon there are welcome as well. Sadly, the table mountain tram is closed during the time of our stay.

Thanks so much!

I was in Capetown last year for a few days and as everyone has said, you could not do both in one day as they are in opposite directions.

I would go with the Cape Tour. I used Mytours.co.za (http://www.mytours.co.za/index.html ) and they were fantastic. Roger is a great tour guide and I would highly recommend him and also his wife Rosetta is just as fantastic. They treat you like one of the family!

Chez

• 2 months later...

We just returned from South Africa. Our stay in Cape town was 6 days.

But I can tell you I would definitely do Cape of Good hope and seal rock.

You can put that into a 1/2 or 1 full day tour I believe. We also did wine country which is beautiful.

We used Hylton Ross and they were great. On time good guides, small vans and very knowledgable. Have a great time.

I also agree with the others that Cape Point is a must. But if you do have time, Mexfolkart's suggestion of Le Petite Ferme is spot on. The view is fabulous and the wine & food delicious:)

Also, a personal favorite restaurant right IN Cape Town is Five Flies!! Yes, that is the correct name..the food is wonderful and its almost always

locals there. It is also fairly close to Greenmarket Square which is fun!

Sherry

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to all of you for the suggestions. I think we are going to go with a tour of Cape Point. We were also thinking we might stop at a winery in Constantia (since it seems closer) if we have time. Does this sound doable? If so, any suggestions for which winery in Constantia? Really looking forward to it!

Thank you to all of you for the suggestions. I think we are going to go with a tour of Cape Point. We were also thinking we might stop at a winery in Constantia (since it seems closer) if we have time. Does this sound doable? If so, any suggestions for which winery in Constantia? Really looking forward to it!

Unfortunately, no. Constantia is too far from Cape Point. I would just do Cape Point and the stops to and fro. For Example, Simonstown for the peguins. There are hundreds of wineries in South Africa. I suggest going to a wine store and picking a bottle or two of Graham Beck Wines. They make an excellent pinotage, a local favorite. We love Cape Town and will be there again in May 2015. Can't wait.

Enjoy,

Bill

Yes it is definitely possible to stop in Constantia. Groot Constantia is wonderful. Plenty of history. Check out this webhttp://www.constantiavalley.com/home/vineyards/

Enjoy and buy some wine for the ship!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I live within in walking distance from Constantia and I can assure you that you defiantly can do both in one day.

Have a awesome time in the Mother City :D

Great! Thank you all for answering my questions! I'm really excited about our trip. Cruiser101101 - do you have a favorite winery in Constantia? I saw Houtbay recommended Groot Constantia. Is this the one you would recommend as well or do you have a different favorite we should also consider?

Archived