Need to hear disembarkation experiences

shopnagain

This is our first cruise ever and I'm already a nervous wreck about the disembarkation process. We are sailing out of Galveston, TX. We are self carrying our own bags off the ship, which docks at 7am according to the itinerary. We have a 12:30pm flight out of Houston Hobby. I keep hearing such varied stories about how long it takes that I'm already dreading it and my cruise hasn't even started!

Stop worrying so! You should have ample time, even without schlepping your own bags off! Of course, Galveston is famous for fog...so that can delay docking, but assuming it's not foggy, you'll be fine!

Even I think that one is OK UNLESS SOMETHING GOES DRASTICALLY WRONG.

NORMALLY SELF DISEMBARK ARE ALLOCATED AMONG THE FIRST GROUPS, STRAIGHT OFF, GRAB A CAB TO THE AIRPORT. LOOKS FINE TO ME

I completely understand your apprehension.

Every person who was an adult felt the same way on their very first cruise.

I'm about to leave on my 13th cruise, but first time in the Med and I'm feeling the same apprehension.

I want a step by step description of what I'm going to see, feel, smell, and experience,,,, but that's an unrealistic expectation. Searching http://www.youtube.com videos has helped a lot.

Since you're self-disembarking, you should be fine. I'd say, worst case, you'll be getting in a cab by 8:30am. Hour drive to the airport. If you're really concerned, you may want to set up your own transportation to the airport to make things go even more smoothly.

Odds are you'll be sitting at the airport and bored for a couple of hours while you wait to get on your plane! :)

Edited by K.T.B.

I have driven friends to the airport after we have gotten off of a cruise for a flight around that time and we have had no problem getting there by then. We didn't arrive way early, but did arrive in time for them to check their bags and make their flights. Someone mentioned fog earlier. Let me assure you that fog is not an issue in warmer months. Fog issues arise in the winter time.

Royal Caribbean transfers are also an option.

This is our first cruise ever and I'm already a nervous wreck about the disembarkation process. We are sailing out of Galveston, TX. We are self carrying our own bags off the ship, which docks at 7am according to the itinerary. We have a 12:30pm flight out of Houston Hobby. I keep hearing such varied stories about how long it takes that I'm already dreading it and my cruise hasn't even started!

crap weather can delay departure and make it a PITA to get back to Houston. on our last cruise, we were in the first group called after Self Departure folks and we were not called until over an hour past our scheduled time and we were in line at Customs for at least an hour.

I just got off Liberty Sunday, those doing self disembarkation was off before 8:30, we were in suite so we get off right after and we were off at 8:40 and at Hobby airport at 9:30, you should be fine.

With docking scheduled for 7:00 and your flight @ 12:30, why are you doing carry off disembarkation?

DON

Edited by donaldsc

You will probably be at the airport by 7:30 AM.

You need to start worrying about a delayed flight and not getting in the air until about midnight.

Our April 8th Sunshine cruise was diverted to the Bahamas due to a medical emergency. We were there 2 hrs. That same nite we had storms & a very rough sea so the ship had to go extremely slow. We got into Port Canaveral at 9:45am & couldn't get off the ship till around 10:30. We had self-assist so we were first to get off. People were panicking that had noon or before noon flights. They knew they would miss them as it takes at least 45 minutes to Orlando airport. Chaos outside with people trying to get on pre-arranged shuttles. Personally I don't book flights till at least 1pm or so. This was a unique experience for us however, as that had never happened to us before. Use your own judgement as to what you're comfortable doing, but expect the unexpected. Good luck & have a great cruise!