Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone

kazu

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone.

(Later we might be building a snowman in honour of Cinco de Mayo..... yes, snow!)

OMG - are you having a storm there??:eek:

OMG - are you having a storm there??:eek:

Not exactly a "storm" -- more like "springtime in the mountains" :eek: The snow has stopped for now, will see how the rest of the day goes :rolleyes:

They keep promising that "tomorrow" will be better. Yeah, well, tomorrow never comes :)

edited to add: I need a CRUISE!

Not exactly a "storm" -- more like "springtime in the mountains" :eek: The snow has stopped for now, will see how the rest of the day goes :rolleyes:

They keep promising that "tomorrow" will be better. Yeah, well, tomorrow never comes :)

edited to add: I need a CRUISE!

Hope it clears up for you. I still remember our Victoria day storm in Moncton many years ago - I was scrambling to bring my plants in:eek:

I can't I'm French/American:(but have a good day.:)

Don't let that stop you! Lots of us aren't Mexican! It's just a good excuse to celebrate. Sort of like not being Irish on St. Patty's Day! :D

I can't I'm French/American:(but have a good day.:)

Understandably, but I'm sure your generous good wishes are much appreciated.:)

http://www.history.com/topics/cinco-de-mayo

Partial quote from that site:

Cinco de Mayo—or the fifth of May—commemorates the Mexican army's 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War (1861-1867).

As Cinco de Mayo passes and lots of people are going to wake up with hangovers, I can't help but wonder...

See, Cinco de Mayo "celebrates" the Battle of Puebla in which the Mexican Army defeated the French army. Nowhere in Mexico is it even observed, (other than in the small town of Puebla of course).

Yet, the U.S. Corona Beer marketing team invented this day to boost alcohol sales.

Got to give a high five to all of those Corona Beer marketing employees for being such geniuses. Love it!

As Cinco de Mayo passes and lots of people are going to wake up with hangovers, I can't help but wonder...

See, Cinco de Mayo "celebrates" the Battle of Puebla in which the Mexican Army defeated the French army. Nowhere in Mexico is it even observed, (other than in the small town of Puebla of course).

Yet, the U.S. Corona Beer marketing team invented this day to boost alcohol sales.

Got to give a high five to all of those Corona Beer marketing employees for being such geniuses. Love it!

My dh might disagree with you;) Cinco de Mayo is holiday of observance in Mexico (he didn't come from Puebla) and very important to my dh;)

My dh might disagree with you;) Cinco de Mayo is holiday of observance in Mexico (he didn't come from Puebla) and very important to my dh;)

Well, maybe it finally arrived at other parts of Mexico. However, as the CNN article indicates:

"Los Angeles (CNN) -- Cinco de Mayo -- the unofficial U.S. holiday long believed to have been imported, with celebratory beer, from Mexico -- isn't a Mexican holiday at all but rather an American one created by Latinos in the West during the Civil War...":cool:

Well, maybe it finally arrived at other parts of Mexico. However, as the CNN article indicates:

"Los Angeles (CNN) -- Cinco de Mayo -- the unofficial U.S. holiday long believed to have been imported, with celebratory beer, from Mexico -- isn't a Mexican holiday at all but rather an American one created by Latinos in the West during the Civil War...":cool:

I'm not going to argue over semantics - but every year I listen to dh recount what this day is (and a couple of others). I don't consider CNN the expert on Mexican traditions - but what do I know:confused: I just go by my dh who comes from there. And if it was brought into the US by Mexicans even better;) I think it's marvelous that some have an interest in it:):)

anyways, the day is over - on to bigger and better things.

From my dh (Jose) and myself - to all our friends who are celebrating this great day - HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO:D:D:D

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO kazu: In Mexico, it is a Mexican holiday, it is a very minor holiday. The only place where it is a big deal is here in the U.S.A. because people that drink to excess like to celebrate. In Mexico it really is a very minor thing. By the way, do you know what May 5 commemorates in Mexico?

Archived