Tipping room service

Dave130710

Hi,

I am going on a cruise next Saturday 7 September on the Azura to the Black Sea. I have cruised before but have never used room service!

I have been put on medication that I have to take first thing in the morning. I have to take these with food! So I thought I would utilise the 'free' room service to bring a light breakfast to my room, I will be using this service every morning.

I am assuming it will not be the normal room Steward or Stewardess, that will bring it, I always tip the room Steward at either the end of the trip or just go along with the automatic tipping system.

So my question is do people normally tip the person who will bring the breakfast? If so how much?

Thanks for any advise.

Dave

We usually tip according to how much they bring but after getting to know salon workers, i realize the dont make much so usually leave $5 cash for rm service. They r very appreciative.

I have a ques. We will b onboard 6 wks and prefer to give tips to r rm steward at beginning of cruise in addition to tips entire ship shares. How much for 6 wks? Wow!!!! Thanks for any input.

Suzan

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi,

I am going on a cruise next Saturday 7 September on the Azura to the Black Sea. I have cruised before but have never used room service!

I have been put on medication that I have to take first thing in the morning. I have to take these with food! So I thought I would utilise the 'free' room service to bring a light breakfast to my room, I will be using this service every morning.

I am assuming it will not be the normal room Steward or Stewardess, that will bring it, I always tip the room Steward at either the end of the trip or just go along with the automatic tipping system.

So my question is do people normally tip the person who will bring the breakfast? If so how much?

Thanks for any advise.

Dave

There are 4 of us and we normally give £2. They seem happy with that>

Hi Dave,

We don't use room service everyday but quite a bit, I use it as an alarm call with a nice pot of coffee and a Danish or two if I'm in piggy mode. Its not usually the cabin steward (never with us) and so I give them a £1 or a €1 whatever I have at the time.

I don't think they get the auto tip and any poor bugger that has to see me at that time of day deserves every penny they get for mental anguish.

Cheers,

BR

Hi Dave, we are on this cruise also and will use breakfast room service sometimes. Like others I think £1 is about right, I will be taking a little bag of £1 coins for this purpose.

Have you looked at the roll call for this cruise a good few people are meeting up on the first sea day.

Anna

Thanks for all of the replies to my query,

As it seems that most of you give a £1:00 or € 1:00 per room service, I guess I better get a bag of £24 £ coins 😄

Gogirl13...can't help you with your query but hope you enjoy your six week cruise😄

Zib_zib I will have to check with reception if they do give part of the Auto gratuities to the room service staff.

Keesh.. Thanks for the reply

Mansb1990..gosh four of you in a cabin, my wife seems to fill the cabin up with all her clothes, hardly any room for me never mind two other people!

Blackrat..coffee and Danish sounds good, I really don't like the instant coffee they supply in the cabin.

Rosefan..nice to find another person going on the same cruise😄no I don't know about a 'Rollcall' I will see if I can find a link to it on this site or will it be on the Horizon paper when we get inboard ?

Southwinds.. Thanks for reply

We don't. No need to tip as it part of the gratuities charge. Room service is free and they bring you what ever you require. But breakfast I believe starts at 6:30.

It is definitely not part of the gratuities charge. That is made clear in several places, but if you look at the menu on all lines, it will say at the bottom 'gratuity not included' or words to that effect. This is a hint!

The auto gratuities are for the dining room and cabin stewards only.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you use room service every day, it is very likely you will see the same

Person . Working out of the galley. Service starts at 7am. They give you half hour segments to choose from. The first being 7to730.this is my choice.

I would tip the last day of the service. Day before the cruise end.

We found it was not always the same waiter who brought breakfast which is why we tip daily. I would hate to tip on the last day for the whole cruise to a waiter who had only brought it a couple of times unless of course it is shared out.

Sue

a fiver for a coffee is not bad :eek::eek: ............... :D

Ah another golfer like myself...fiver for a coffee, made round to go round, money that is. But then on P&O one can make one's own coffee from in cabin facilities. Way to go.

Archived