Juneau and Skagway Questions

MilliesMom

When you dock or tender in at Juneau and Skagway are the towns right there or do you have to take a cab into town or just a short walk into town?

We have cruised into Ketchikan before and know that the town is right there and that with Victoria it is a 5 minute cab ride away. But would like to know what the location of the town is in respect to the dock/tender area.

Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

Has anyone done the Klondike Bike Tour? We are taking our first trip to Alaska with our 19 and 22 yr old offspring. ( They don't like to be called kids )

I am somewhat interested in the White Pass and Yukon Railroad, but the bike tour sounds like a lot of fun. The tour operators will take us up to the summit on highway that parallels the railway and the we will get on bikes and coast down.( We did this down a volcano in Hawaii years ago and they loved it) Will I regret not doing the train? There are lots of photo stops on the bike tour. Supposedly we will see the train, just not be on it.

There is an option to take the train up and then bike down, but it is $169 instead of $72. We are going 6 days before the cruise to see the Kenai Peninsula so this trip is getting very expensive. I want to do everything but I need to watch the $$

From what I have read, the train ride costs $90+ on its own. So paying an extra $97 for the train and bike is not that much. Narrow guage trains are hard to come by, so it will be interesting to ride, especially for a train enthusiast like myself.

Hubby and I are looking forward to doing the train and bike when we cruise in May.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived