Sunset Beach

mjrocky

What compels you to say it seems to be the best beach for snorkeling? Sunset Beach is located between Villa Blanca and the International Cruise Terminal about 1 mile from town. The beach is all rock unless they have brought in some small amount of sand. Lots of snorkel takes place there but it is mostly all Sand Dollar Sports doing Snuba. There should be NO admission to this area and I am sure Sand Dollar would welcome you if you rent gear or buy from their snack bar.

Shallow reef snorkel in Cozumel is not outstanding since the storms last year. You might consider joining a tour or taking a private snorkel tour from a boat. Generally speaking it is worth the cost.

Well, I said it seems to be in the same strech of beach. The cozumel insider has it listed as excellent along with Chankanaab, Dzul Ha, and Playa Bella Vista. As they are all in a line, one next to each other I figured it would be worthwhile. Or should I just go to Chankanaab or Dzul Ha with the majority crowds?

To be honest I have no report on the condition of the reef at Dzul-Ha. I know lots of extensive work was done at Chankanaab to the facilities as well as to the reefs. I have been told much of the sea life has returned to the Chankanaab Reef also further indicating the recovery of the reef is advancing well.

Chankanaab has an admission and the others you mention do not. If a long stay on the beach is not what you are after, then the Sunset option might work well for you. It is very close to town or other activities and the others you mention are further away.

I certainly did not mean to make it sound like a bad choice, but there are better for snorkel. It has obvious advantages however.

• 10 months later...

Is there a stretch of beach from which you can snorkel? Years ago, we snorkeled at a beach which was walking distance from a cruise terminal (yes, now there are more than one terminal). I can't remember a fee to get on the beach, but there might have been. There also might have been a small hotel at this beach.

We are coming in on NCL. Does anyone know which terminal we will dock at.

Many thanks. You may reply to komishe@sccoast.net

• 5 weeks later...

Archived