Duoro River 2015

1westover

There are several of us considering Ama Waterways or Viking for an early October Duoro River Cruise. Both ships a new.

Has anyone had any experience with itinerary or ships? Would really appreciate any input you may have. Thank you.

There are several of us considering Ama Waterways or Viking for an early October Duoro River Cruise. Both ships a new.

Has anyone had any experience with itinerary or ships? Would really appreciate any input you may have. Thank you.

We have recently done the itinerary, but with Uniworld and absolutely loved it. Portugal is beautiful and you get to see so much of the landscape since cruising is only allowed during the day. Here is a link to my review.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=254100

Cole

Hi Cole,

I had read your report before posting. We had sailed Uniworld on the Danube, River Beatrice and enjoyed it very much. We had the "french balcony" also, but it was the Christmas Market Cruise and that did not matter. Now, we want a full balcony. The cabin was too small.

Glad to hear it was a beautiful area to cruise. I love the Duoro wines from that area.

Thank you for your response.

Susan

I LOVED that area and cruise.Took Uniworld,but if you have to chose,go with AMA.Just top of the line,no comparison. We had the full balcony on AMAcerto and it was great.,but on another cruise.

Wonderful scenery along the river and ea.port is so interesting.

That s one I d do again in a heartbeat.

Am currently looking at the 9/3/15 Uniworld 13 day cruise from Madrid to Lisbon. My primary concern was that I have heard earlier reports that water levels can become a concern in October. The chances of low water increases significantly from late Sept on. One never knows what water levels will be, but I don't believe in pushing the odds. Something to consider.

Since I haven't given Uniworld the credit card number yet, but near it, I will check out the Ama schedule. Never been on their boats.

We have read there is more rain in October than in September. Who knows?

We sailed the Danube and had to make a few adjustments as we went along. Guess that is part of sailing on the European Rivers.

Hi Cole,

I had read your report before posting. We had sailed Uniworld on the Danube, River Beatrice and enjoyed it very much. We had the "french balcony" also, but it was the Christmas Market Cruise and that did not matter. Now, we want a full balcony. The cabin was too small.

Glad to hear it was a beautiful area to cruise. I love the Duoro wines from that area.

Thank you for your response.

Susan

I understand your concern about the small cabin, but remember - the small locks determine just how wide the ships can be, so any cabin with a full balcony will probably be a large suite ($$$) or the space will lessen the amount of room you have in the cabin. We would love to do the Uniworld Rhine/Moselle cruise, but the particular ship on that itinerary has large windows, but they do not open. I think it would feel claustrophobic with no way to open them. Whatever ship you choose for the Douro though, you will love it. Word of caution - do not go during summer months. The people said it can get extremely hot in Portugal during the summer.

Cole

Cole,

We are trying to decide between the middle of September or first of October. The daylight hours are the same, but according to records, it rains more in October. Want to move forward.

Cole,

I do not know your budget, but Tauck Tours has a great cruise/tour down the Rhine and Viking longboats also. Just make sure you are on a longboat.

Edited by 1westover

You may want to read a good review of the Viking Hemming by emileg. I am sorry that I don't know how to provide a link here. It is under Member Reviews in Viking section.

You will find good information about the Hemming and the Douro in general. We are on the Viking Hemming in October this year. Let's hope for rain for the river levels in October.

Cole,

We are trying to decide between the middle of September or first of October. The daylight hours are the same, but according to records, it rains more in October. Want to move forward.

Our cruise director said that September was beautiful with the vineyards changing to fall colors, plus - I believe they will be harvesting the grapes at that time, so there should be a lot of activity along the river.

Cole

Cole,

I do not know your budget, but Tauck Tours has a great cruise/tour down the Rhine and Viking longboats also. Just make sure you are on a longboat.

We are trying to stay with Avalon and/or Uniworld because we are past passengers with both companies. You know - perks ;)

Cole

We have a hard time staying with the same companies. We loved Azamara and have sailed with them a few times. Just got off Oceania Marina and it was excellent. The Uniworld Cruise was great, but I feel there ay be something better. Ama has larger cabins. September is obviously the time to sail the Duoro and enjoy our verandas.

I am quite surprised to see most is full for 2015. It is getting difficult to plan travel these days.

a little off topic, but not too much! We're looking at the Douro River Cruise with Vantage (would be 8th trip..perks not to be sneezed at) here's my dilemma: I don't mind doing the Douro through Portugal in Sept., but I desperately want to be able to see the Alhambra, which I know is on the other side of Spain. Does anyone know of a river cruise that includes the Alhambra as either pre or post trip? I found one European cruise company that has a river cruise on the Guadalquivir and includes Alhambra but I've never heard of them or seen them mentioned on CC.

a little off topic, but not too much! We're looking at the Douro River Cruise with Vantage (would be 8th trip..perks not to be sneezed at) here's my dilemma: I don't mind doing the Douro through Portugal in Sept., but I desperately want to be able to see the Alhambra, which I know is on the other side of Spain. Does anyone know of a river cruise that includes the Alhambra as either pre or post trip? I found one European cruise company that has a river cruise on the Guadalquivir and includes Alhambra but I've never heard of them or seen them mentioned on CC.

Hydrokitty,

How have you been?

We want to do the Douro with Vantage, but already have 2015 booked. Perhaps in 2016. I will await your review.

We did a cruise (not river) that stopped in Malaga and had a full day excursion to Grenada and the Alhambra.

You could look for a flight from either Oporto or Lisbon to Malaga. There are really cheap flights within Europe now (however, they charge for baggage). Taking a train would be expensive and time consuming.

Better, take an ocean cruise that stops in Malaga.

Hydrokitty, CroisiEurope sails the Guadlehiver. They are now showing English speaking itineraries. It is one we hope to do next year. Is it your DH who is a Villanova grad? We are off to our 50th reunion next week. Pat

Hydrokitty, CroisiEurope sails the Guadlehiver. They are now showing English speaking itineraries. It is one we hope to do next year. Is it your DH who is a Villanova grad? We are off to our 50th reunion next week. Pat

Hi Pat: Yes my DH is a Villanova grad...school of engineering, 1960. Have fun.

Hi PApa: I'm doing pretty well, thank you, but I think I mislead you about Douro river. I haven't booked it with Vantage, but I've been looking at it. I did find Croisi but I've never seen anything about them. So I'll be watching for Pat's review. My next trip is in 3 weeks...Budapest to Black Sea with pre-trip to Prague and then it's Switzerland, Rhine and Moselle in 2015. I think that will probably be our last river cruise. We'll going to be doing ocean cruises more often I think, easier on the old body!!!

I pulled the trigger on the Uniworld Madrid to Lisbon cruise. We are going over early (length tbd) and visit Seville, Cordova, and Alhambra. We will be traveling by train and enjoying the countryside. Our Uniworld tour portions begins in Madrid on 9/3/15, so we'll be doing this early in August. It'll be hot, but manageable. Anyone interested in joining in, give us a yell.

I pulled the trigger on the Uniworld Madrid to Lisbon cruise. We are going over early (length tbd) and visit Seville, Cordova, and Alhambra. We will be traveling by train and enjoying the countryside. Our Uniworld tour portions begins in Madrid on 9/3/15, so we'll be doing this early in August. It'll be hot, but manageable. Anyone interested in joining in, give us a yell.

I don't know how long you will be in Madrid, but if you have time, don't miss a trip to Toledo.

In my opinion, if I had to visit two cities in Spain only, they would be Seville and Toledo.

The Uniworld portion of the trip has us in Madrid for three days. One of those days is an included trip to Toledo. We plan on going in early and taking the train down to Seville, and then over to Alhambra.

What I also liked about the Uniworld trip was that the Guimaraes tour is included in the tour and not an optional added expense like the Viking cruise.

It's three days in Madrid, three hour bus ride to Salamanca, then to Vega to catch the boat. Seven days on the river and then to for a couple of days Lisbon and Sintra with a stop over in Coimbra.

Ready to do it now, but will have to wait until 9/15!:( Southern France on Viking comes first! :)

The Uniworld portion of the trip has us in Madrid for three days. One of those days is an included trip to Toledo. We plan on going in early and taking the train down to Seville, and then over to Alhambra.

What I also liked about the Uniworld trip was that the Guimaraes tour is included in the tour and not an optional added expense like the Viking cruise.

It's three days in Madrid, three hour bus ride to Salamanca, then to Vega to catch the boat. Seven days on the river and then to for a couple of days Lisbon and Sintra with a stop over in Coimbra.

Ready to do it now, but will have to wait until 9/15!:( Southern France on Viking comes first! :)

You are going to love it. The tours are wonderful, even if you have to travel 3 hours to get there. Scenery is beautiful. Doesn't sound like you are going to miss a thing!

Cole

You may want to read a good review of the Viking Hemming by emileg. I am sorry that I don't know how to provide a link here. It is under Member Reviews in Viking section.

You will find good information about the Hemming and the Douro in general. We are on the Viking Hemming in October this year. Let's hope for rain for the river levels in October.

Here is the link to my review that Rami077 was referring to. Thanks, Rami

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=254232

Edited by emileg