St Thomas accomodations

Archipelago

I was looking at Bolongo Bay and the Wyndham which have all-inclusive plans . Has anyone experienced either of these properties ? Is the all-inclusive worth the price ? I may stay at the Holiday Inn pre-cruise and one of these post cruise for 2 nights . I have a Wyndham By Request number which makes that one a little more attractive .

I stayed at the Holiday Inn and it wasn't too bad. The room was clean and the view really made it. They have a nice pool area and bar. They also have a restaurant which was average in my opinion. Just a short walk down the street is the main shopping area with restaurants, Hard Rock, etc. If you need more info just let me know.

John III:

Last April I spent one night pre-cruise at Bolongo Bay. I was in an older section, with a balcony overlooking the pool & restaurant. It was okay, like an "older" Holiday Inn room. (johnnycruise may chime in with his thoughts, as well...his earlier experience there wasn't as comfortable as mine.) I didn't book it as all-inclusive. I had dinner at the beach bar nearby, and breakfast the morning I left. It's a bit of a cab ride away from town, but the ocean beach/scenary was very nice, and the people were nice.

For March '07, I've decided to stay "in town" for a couple of days pre-cruise, and found the Mafolie Hotel on TripAdvisor. (http://www.mafolie.com/) I've also reserved a Jeep for those days, to attempt to do a little exploring on my own...that should be an experience, having never driven on the "left"!! :eek:

Just my thoughts...

Paul :)

John III:

Last April I spent one night pre-cruise at Bolongo Bay. I was in an older section, with a balcony overlooking the pool & restaurant. It was okay, like an "older" Holiday Inn room. (johnnycruise may chime in with his thoughts, as well...his earlier experience there wasn't as comfortable as mine.) Paul :)

Paul,

Happy Thanksgiving!:p

johnny

Still hoping you are able to provide a good review of the Coral Mist for those of us who won't get to Barbados until mid-December!

Paul,

Happy Thanksgiving!:p

johnny

Still hoping you are able to provide a good review of the Coral Mist for those of us who won't get to Barbados until mid-December!

And the same to you, johnny! :D And I, too, hope to give a good review to you! ;)

Paul

who finds it hard to believe that next week, this time, will be en route to Barbados...!!

Thanks for the replies !!! I will probably stay at the Holiday Inn pre-cruise as I have a priority club card and they allow a late check out . The menu at the Mafolie looks good but they may not have a vacancy and this is also fewer than 3 nights .The Bolongo is 414.00 / night for all-inclusive and Wyndham 341.00 per night all inclusive . I would prefer the all inclusive but in reality I would not even spend close to that much per diem on food and drink . I hope everyone is having a nice holiday :)

Got a reply from the Mafolie and she can give me a run of the house room which would be o.k. It could be anything that is not leased since I am not there the minimum required nights . I like the menu and want to try the coconut fried shrimp in lime jalapeno dipping sauce;) and I like the view as well . I am not too keen on going into town late at night so I may try that post cruise . If there is an interest maybe the cc'ers can get together for a pre-cruise dinner somewhere the night before!:) Matt the trip advisor said that roosters were crowing at the Holiday Inn at 3 am:eek: is that what you experienced ?

John III

I can't imagine any room at the Mafolie being a bad choice...and the views should be wonderful! Meet me at the pool, and we'll have that pre-cruise dinner if no one else joins us! :)

I decided against the HI just because the Mafolie was a smaller, unique hotel. Of course, there's always a possibility of roosters in town(!); hopefully, up the hill, they'd get tired....!

Paul

John III

I can't imagine any room at the Mafolie being a bad choice...and the views should be wonderful! Meet me at the pool, and we'll have that pre-cruise dinner if no one else joins us! :)

I decided against the HI just because the Mafolie was a smaller, unique hotel. Of course, there's always a possibility of roosters in town(!); hopefully, up the hill, they'd get tired....!

Paul

I'm up for a pre-cruise dinner and I think I can convince Neil he'd want to go too. We'll have had one night and a day for him to get over jet-lag so should be on semi-local time by Saturday evening. And one has to eat. The menu at the Mafolie does look good.

John, join our roll-call, I think it's dropped to page two.

Jackie

Got my reservations at the Mafolie both pre and post cruise and I also made reservations for dinner . The chef said that they could be changed to accomodate what guests that we have that night . No roosters come up to the Mafolie because they end up in the kitchen !!!:p

JohnIII,

It looks like a good choice. I have stayed at both the Wyndham and Bolongo and, from the Mafolie Web site, the Mafolie looks superior to either one. I hope you will post comments on your stay when you get home as I have not had luck in the past with St. Thomas accommodations. The restaurant menu looks especially appetizing!

johnny

Got my reservations at the Mafolie both pre and post cruise and I also made reservations for dinner . The chef said that they could be changed to accomodate what guests that we have that night . No roosters come up to the Mafolie because they end up in the kitchen !!!:p

Room AND dinner reserved already? Bravo! Thank goodness we're assured of no rooster calls! :eek: :D

Wish I could stay post-cruise, but must return for work (I hate it when that happens!). Will look forward to a possible pre-cruise dinner with you, if I don't scare you by the pool! ;)

Happy weekend to you!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning to stay at the Bellavista B&B in March a few days before our cruise. All of my dealings with the owner have been fantastic. She has been friendly and helpful while professional. The price is great to include breakfast. We love staying at B&B's to meet different people and enjoy the personalized service they offer. Good luck on your search!

I'd also like to throw this one into the ring -- it's the nicest on the island (though to my humble mind it's not as nice as Caneel Bay on St. John). That's where I'm hoping to stay when I come down for a Seabourn cruise in March.

I wouldn't stay in town (fyi, used to live there so know the island very well!). Go for the day, go shopping, have lunch (fab restaurants) but then come back to the other end of the island....

Ritz Carlton is pretty convenient to Red Hook and the ferry to St. John.

I used to stay in a lovely, lovely b&b called Boynton's (?) back in 2000; it was in an historic old house and right above the 99 steps. But it's out of business. Also tried Hotel 1829, was not impressed. Holiday Inn has a terrible location, right on the main drag, not a beach in site -- I like the Marriott for its location -- its pool is a lot of fun and has a great view of ships going in and out of the harbor.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

CruiseCritic

I'd also like to throw this one into the ring -- it's the nicest on the island (though to my humble mind it's not as nice as Caneel Bay on St. John). That's where I'm hoping to stay when I come down for a Seabourn cruise in March.

I wouldn't stay in town (fyi, used to live there so know the island very well!). Go for the day, go shopping, have lunch (fab restaurants) but then come back to the other end of the island....

Ritz Carlton is pretty convenient to Red Hook and the ferry to St. John.

I used to stay in a lovely, lovely b&b called Boynton's (?) back in 2000; it was in an historic old house and right above the 99 steps. But it's out of business. Also tried Hotel 1829, was not impressed. Holiday Inn has a terrible location, right on the main drag, not a beach in site -- I like the Marriott for its location -- its pool is a lot of fun and has a great view of ships going in and out of the harbor.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

CruiseCritic

Which cruise in March??

Host Dan

• 3 weeks later...
Some years ago -- 2000, 2001 -- I was on the island and stayed at Blackbeard's (not Bluebeards, this is above the 99 steps). Loved it at the time but had heard it had been sold. Has anyone stayed there lately? Any reports?

Thanks!

Carolyn

Stayed there several times in the past--it was great--on our trip last Spring, we drove up to Blackbeards on the way to the ship--it looked pretty good--the people I saw around the place looked good. It appeared that the new owners were doing a good job. It's still a great location!!

Archived