3days around Sydney

JanDom

Hi,

we will be in Sydney for a pacific cruise with P&O in May.

We will have 2,5 days before our cruise to see some spots of Sydney.

After our cruise we will have the day we will leave the ship, 1 full day and one day we have to go back to the airport (our plane leaves at 9:00 pm).

We are now thinking of renting a car and see something of the coast.

Can anyone help me with interesting stops ?

We thought of going down to Canbarra at the coast line and then back to Sydney airport ?

Thank you for your help and many greets from very snowy Germany (it is sooo cold -19°C :eek:)

Janine

Yep sounds. Lie a good choice but do stay overnight before you pick up the car to drive south.

I would, go down the coast then up the middle.

From the city do the grand alcohol drive in throught the National park. Make the detours into either Garie or Wattamolla.

Get off the motorway bit (northern distributor) an stop for a snack at north beach. Beware of seagulls stealing food at anywhere along this route.

For there you can either head as far south as Batemans but my choice is to head up via jamberro and into Fitzroy falls. Make sure you take time to see some of the rainforest in the area.

Canberra can take as much time as you want depending on your interests. For eating look in and around Kingston (Manuka is a bit overpriced IMHO)

When heading back to Sydney allow 4 hours for traffic depending on the day and time leaving. If you wanted you could go back via the Blue mountains

If you dont have 3 nights I wouldn't really suggest an overnight and don't attempt to drive after arrival unless you come form NZ so I would just stay in the city and do an overnight to the blue mountains

Yep sounds. Lie a good choice but do stay overnight before you pick up the car to drive south.

I would, go down the coast then up the middle.

From the city do the grand alcohol drive in throught the National park. Make the detours into either Garie or Wattamolla.

Get off the motorway bit (northern distributor) an stop for a snack at north beach. Beware of seagulls stealing food at anywhere along this route.

For there you can either head as far south as Batemans but my choice is to head up via jamberro and into Fitzroy falls. Make sure you take time to see some of the rainforest in the area.

Canberra can take as much time as you want depending on your interests. For eating look in and around Kingston (Manuka is a bit overpriced IMHO)

When heading back to Sydney allow 4 hours for traffic depending on the day and time leaving. If you wanted you could go back via the Blue mountains

If you dont have 3 nights I wouldn't really suggest an overnight and don't attempt to drive after arrival unless you come form NZ so I would just stay in the city and do an overnight to the blue mountains

Here are the dates of our journey :

6.5. arrive in Sydney

7.5. Sydney

8.5. Sydney

9.5. Sydney - go on board the cruise ship around noon

9-19.5. cruise

19.5. arrive in Sydney at 7:00 am - so we can pick up the car around 9.00

20.5. tour with car

21.5. tour with car - give the car back around 4-5 pm - plane will leave at 9:00 pm

Here are the dates of our journey :

6.5. arrive in Sydney

7.5. Sydney

8.5. Sydney

9.5. Sydney - go on board the cruise ship around noon

9-19.5. cruise

19.5. arrive in Sydney at 7:00 am - so we can pick up the car around 9.00

20.5. tour with car

21.5. tour with car - give the car back around 4-5 pm - plane will leave at 9:00 pm

If you hire a car you basically have one day to drive somewhere and then an overnighter and a day to drive back. It seems like a lot of trouble to go to.

If you haven't already seen it, why not just look around Sydney for a couple of days? There is a nice harbour, a bridge, an opera house and some decent museums.

If you do want a drive, you could try Katoomba in the Blue Mountains or the wineries of the Hunter Valley near Newcastle. May is almost the start of winter, in one day's drive you won't be able to get far enough north to get to warmer weather.

As for Canberra, all I can say is think of the most boring city in Germany, then multiply that by 2, then you have Canberra.

I'm going to agree with Sinbad on some points and disagree on others:

Agree--I agree that with only one day for driving after your cruise, you don't really have enough time to go far from Sydney. Even with sightseeing in Sydney for 3 days before your cruise, there will be lots more to see, so it makes sense to just stay in Sydney after the cruise as well. If you really want to drive someplace, the Blue Mountains is a good suggestion. But, you can also visit the Blue Mountains via train as a day trip from Sydney or there are organized tours that go to Featherdale Wildlife Park and Katoomba (Blue Mountains) as a day trip.

Disagree--I disagree that Canberra is a boring city. Many Australians like Sinbad think Canberra is a boring place. It's similar to what many Germans feel about Bonn. I spent a lot of time in Bonn when it was the capital of Germany and I also lived in Canberra for several years and I don't think either place is "boring". In fact, Canberra is the favorite city I have lived in around the world (and that includes places such as Berlin, Bangkok, and an American favorite, Austin, Texas.) But, unfortunately, you don't really have time for a driving trip to Canberra.

I spent a week being a tourist there and the highlights for me were the tour of the Opera House (it is a fascinating building and the guide showed us everywhere)...

Canberra - loved going on the Parliament Building tour and the war museum however it was a big drive to get here and you then have no time to spend exploring. If I was to do this again it would definitely be an overnight trip.

If you love the natural attractions then the blue mountains is the place to see. Was really lovely and a good trip.

I loved how accessible everything was by train. Apart from the organised tours to Canberra / Blue mountains I did everything by train and walking.

Another option with much less driving is to head down the coast to the area of Jervis Bay and stay overnight (or even 2 nights) there. Take the old coast road down to Wollongong stopping at some of the beaches along the way and have lunch there, then stop at Kiama for the blowhole and the old row of cottages selling artisan stuff).

It's only about 3 hours to Jervis Bay, so you have heaps of time to stop on the way, explore the area, and there are loads of little bays and beaches in the area.

Some places to stop are Huskisson, Sanctuary Point, Greenpatch, and there are lots of bush walks and a few ruined lighthouses to explore.

On the way back you could head in to Minamurra Falls

It's a very pretty part of NSW, and will give you a taste of something other than the city, and it's easy to get to.

Thank you :)

We are now thinking of :

7 may - Sydney

8 may - Sydney

19 may - going to Manly or Bondi or some other nice beach

20 may - going to the blue mountains by train

21 may - going shopping

We found the Hop on Hop off for Sydney, for Katoomba and for the "waters" in Sydney. Each day pass will be 40$ per person ... is it worse the price or is it easy to walk ar use ferries and busses in Sydney and busses at Katoomba ?

Which beach will be the best for a day trip or may it be nice to go to Manly and to another spot afterwards ?

Is there a good shopping spot ?

So we don't have to rent a car, I don't have to buy an internation driver licence and at the train be both can relax (because you also drive on the wrong side for us ;))

Thank you very much.

Greets from Germany

janine

Many of the organized tours to the Blue Mountains make a stop at Featherdale Wildlife Park on the way. This would be a place where you could have a "close encounter" with a kangaroo because you can walk amongst the kangaroos and wallabies and hand-feed them for only $2. (You can also stand next to a koala and take your own photos for no additional charge.)

See: http://www.featherdale.com.au/park-information/

That's a bit like asking where can you see wild deer in Germany.

The answer is, almost anywhere outside of the cities and major towns, but mostly at night.

I know :D

But you won't find deer all over Germany and I did not know if the kangeroo is living over the whole Continent Or only in a Part of it.

😳

Thank you 🙋🏼