Noise problem on Solstice cabins 6240 and 6242 and more?

swansnz

We have just returned from the Solstice and we had cabin 6242 while my in-laws had 6240 (both on the back end of the hump).

There is a noise problem with these cabins - a sort of engine humming sound, which is constant, 24hrs a day, regardless of the sea conditions or even if the ship was at sea or in port. It was so bad, that we had to be moved, as we had 2 pretty sleepless nights, including Christmas Eve :(

The Housekeeping maintenance manager (I think it was), came with an engineer, who confirmed it was a known issue, and there was nothing they could do to resolve the problem. It's to do with the piping taking the exhaust from the engines to the funnels on the top, which are inside the walls across the hallway - not sure if the noise is the engine, or fans within the pipes, but I know it was heard from within 6240 and 6242. From walking the hallways, it would possibly affect 6244 and 6246 too, maybe even as far as 6248, 6250 (and similar on the port side 6241, 6243,6245,6247,6249,6251). From walking in the hallways, the nose/vibration, then was ok, then reoccurred further down the ship (the rear most funnel piping), but I did not record the cabin numbers located here, but again it would possibly have affected 4-6 rooms on both sides of the ship.

I'm surprised that more has not been mentioned on this topic here, but maybe I just did not search right, while researching the cabins. Also, it will affect people who have more sensitive hearing, as while we could clearly hear it from within my in-laws cabin (6240), they were ok with it - I guess there are some advantages to having some hearing loss in later life :)

The initial report was handled well by the Celebrity housekeeping maintenance and guest relations, however, the Housekeeping maintenance manager told us he would sort it with guest relations to have us moved if possible. After a few hours of not hearing back, we visited guest relations, and were not so well treated. The guest relations staff member just appeared to want us to go away, and kept telling us that it was being looked into and as the ship was full, there were no available cabins anyway. When we kept on and insisted we see the guest relations supervisor, she eventually went to the office around the back and when she came back, we did in fact get another cabin (8301) - funny how this had only just then became available, as we were at sea that day. This did spoil our Christmas day, but at least it ended well, and 8301 was a great cabin, but with a smaller balcony – and although it had vibration within the cabin, I think this is felt thought the ship.

Noise can be a serious health issue weather in your cabin or in your backyard.

Glad you were able to be relocated.

No problems so far on the S class but will be certain not to book towards the back part of any ship.

On the connie last time had a significant noise pollution issue with balcony use compromised by noise from a fan below the 7 deck cabins mid ship. We could not hear it in the cabin but it really destroyed use of balcony.

Celebrity did a great job of fixing it with the housekeeping and chief mechanical engineer (!) Being in our cabin. Ultimately they turned off the fan but I suspect that the noise was back for the next guest.

I appreciate ships are mechanical entites, so silence is not possible

Regards

ABoatNerd

Sorry to hear about your noise issue and the way it was handled. We were under the treadmills on Eclipse and it was not so good.

Could you please post to the S class sticky so others can be advised.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36567266&postcount=1779

Edited by librarylady19

We have stayed in 6240 on the Eclipse and there was no noise.

It was, however, on its first season so it would be interesting to here from any one else who has sailed in this cabin or ones close recently, Our other cabins where 6238, 6250 and 6252. These cabins were also quiet and close to the Lifts so in an excellent position and we wouldn't have hesitated to recommend them.

The first two were originally 1a due to the hump balconies but were then classified as 2c as they had lifeboats beneath them. Up until this post we thought them very good value for money however due to cruise critic we have since tried Aqua and its hard to give Blu up.

Sorry to hear about your noise issue and the way it was handled. We were under the treadmills on Eclipse and it was not so good.

Could you please post to the S class sticky so others can be advised.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36567266&postcount=1779

Thanks - I have now posted this in the sticky.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just saw this --

We had a similar noise on Silhouette Cabin 6184 - a constant humming noise which was difficult to get used to and affected our ability to sleep properly..:(

We were told the ship was full also - so suck it up . Thank heavens for the Martini Bar.

We are in 6195 next trip and the cabin compilation sticky has one post which says this is a quiet cabin so fingers crossed. If anyone has stayed in 6191, 6193 or 6195 can you let me know how they were please?:D

Did the cabin have a constant noise? I have been in aft cabins that get noise from the engines. It drives me crazy until I learn to ignore it. I have not been on the Solstice. I have sailed on other S class ships on deck 6. On the hump, I could hear noise from the Grand Foyer. Fortunately, it stopped before bedtime. I also had cabin 6268 slightly aft. Great location. Some noise from the lounge below at night. It didn't bother me. However, we met people in nearby cabins who complained a lot. It was minimal and also stopped before my bedtime. On a ship, you may get motor noise in some locations. Often a dining room is way aft. On my last cruise, there was some noise and vibration in the dining room. Our table was near the aft windows. We were still able to have conversations. Before booking a cabin, check the the list of cabin reviews on the S spreadsheet. People are honest. Everyone is different. What bothers one person may not be a problem for somebody else. On my last cruise on the Summit, I booked very late. I had a choice of 3 cabins. The reviews on the available cabins were mixed. I chose a deck 8 cabin just after the forward hump. There were some reviews that said it had noise. It was opposite a crew doorway. It was quiet.

• 11 months later...

We were on Celebrity Solstice a month ago - inside cabin 8292 - and there was a constant humming background noise which really affected my wellbeing. I felt headachey if I spent time in our cabin, with that humming going on whether we were docked or at sea.

The lovely dark peaceful nights' sleep I get on a cruise are something I always look forward to, but it didn't happen on this cruise.

Smart travelers always carry earplugs. There are so many possible causes for noise, there is no way to guarantee a quiet cabin, so it's best to be prepared. We always sleep well.

After asking my question way back when, I decided to keep room 6240 on the Solstice. I know exactly the noise that the OP mentioned. It was a fan noise and constant, really super loud in the bathroom. You could also hear it out in the hallway but wasn't horrible inside the cabin itself, but noticeable.

With that being said, we kind of liked it ... seemed to help us sleep creating a white noise blocking out any other noise that might be disruptive (eg: people in the hallways). I would book the same room in a heartbeat. To each his own I guess.

Was assigned 6242 on the Equinox for a med cruise in Aug. As far as 2C cabins go it seems to be one of the better ones based on location and obstruction (not to mention one of the few 2C's with an angled balcony). That being said, curious to hear any current reports on noise on the Equinox.

Edited by RickT

Swansnz, was the noise a constant, steady thing? I do not know what you are used to, but where we live I sleep with the bedroom window (by my head) open, year round, and there is a constant freeway noise, a steady hum. So I am used to some noise.

We are booked in 6240 next February and I will be sure to bring my earplugs, just in case.

Swansnz, was the noise a constant, steady thing? I do not know what you are used to, but where we live I sleep with the bedroom window (by my head) open, year round, and there is a constant freeway noise, a steady hum. So I am used to some noise.

We are booked in 6240 next February and I will be sure to bring my earplugs, just in case.

I see you asked Swansnz, but in case they don't reply as he started this thread back in 2013, I think I can speak to it as we were recently in this room on the Solstice.

The noise was constant and quite loud like a large fan blowing...but more so in the bathroom, hallway and entry way than in the sleeping area. It really didn't bother us enough to make us not book that room again. The location was awesome and it had an extra huge balcony with so little obstruction. The only drawback was if you were in the bathroom and someone was trying to talk to you from the bedroom area, you would not be able to hear them. Not really a drawback though in my opinion. If you are used to freeway noise, I don't think this would bother you at all because it is constant.

One of our travel mates came into our room and stated they wouldn't be able to stand it ... to me, it was like having a white noise machine, so not bad at all. Nothing sudden or of different decibels so we didn't need earplugs to sleep.

Searching the forum I saw another thread where LoisR said she was booked into one of these cabins on the Equinox, hopefully she'll see this and comment.

• 7 months later...

emilygrace, so would love to know what you found? We are in 6240 on Solstice leaving Sydney April 9 2016 to Hawaii. CC is a fascinating source of information and I'm thinking 6240 seems just fine. But now an element of worry has crept in.