One Way to do Melbourne

Cunard's Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth both call at Melbourne, Australia as part of their 2016 World Cruises and so I decided to add a review to my blog to help those onboard, plus of course anyone else who may be cruising that way in different ships, see just what is available and, more importantly, what can be achieved in a day.Melbourne is a great cosmopolitan city with a real buzz about it and there is so much to see.

22917879160_d759e0311f_z.jpg

23187574286_d76c39c94f_z.jpg

22586597573_82c025a4df_z.jpg

23213616565_a07c95e73e_z.jpg

The full review, with more than 30 photographs and a route planner can be found here...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/01/04/one-way-to-do-melbourne-australia/

23114705116_45c5cb9cec_z.jpg

Thank you for the photos etc. can you please tell me what will be open on Good Friday 25 March 2016. I am on the Diamond Princess arriving that morning. Will there be any shops open? Will the buses and trams be operating? What will be open to see?

Blowed if I know why the lines arrange itineraries with Ports on days when so much is closed. Especially Goid Friday and Christmas Day, make them Sea days, can't be that hard surely.

Trams and busses will run, but less frequently, but still a pretty good service.

Pretty much all shops will be closed.

Check out the Princess shore tours, that will give you a good idea what's open.

Thank you. I too wish it was a sea day as we are arriving in Adelaide on Easter Sunday. On Easter Sunday there will be more open I think. The Diamond Princess is operating on USD as it is on it way to Asia I am Australian so it makes Princess tours very expensive with out exchange rate I will see what I can find when we get their otherwise I really enjoy the Diamond Princess for the day

Thank you. I too wish it was a sea day as we are arriving in Adelaide on Easter Sunday. On Easter Sunday there will be more open I think. The Diamond Princess is operating on USD as it is on it way to Asia I am Australian so it makes Princess tours very expensive with out exchange rate I will see what I can find when we get their otherwise I really enjoy the Diamond Princess for the day

I think you misunderstood me.

Look at the Princess shore tours to get a feel for what's open. (don't necessarily book them,) but if they're offering them the locals and similar locations will be open.

Thank you for the photos etc. can you please tell me what will be open on Good Friday 25 March 2016. I am on the Diamond Princess arriving that morning. Will there be any shops open? Will the buses and trams be operating? What will be open to see?

Hi Cruise Flotsam.

I'm not a native of Melbourne or even Australia so am not au fait with Australian religious holidays.

However, if you read my blog...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/01/04/one-way-to-do-melbourne-australia/

... then you will see that most of the visits I made are of the kind of places that remain open irrespective. Of particular note would be the Eureka Tower, The Botanic Gardens, Shrine of Remembrance to name a few.

I'd also put money on the cafes, bars and restaurants along the South Wharf Promenade being open for business with the added bonus of more atmosphere during the daytime.

Hope that helps.

Public transport will be operating although at a public holiday type schedule. Some places to eat at touristy areas will be open as will many fast food outlets. Expect many other shops & businesses to be closed. Some of the major tourist attractions might be open, eg the Zoo? Good Friday & Christmas Day & Anzac day see most Australian cities close down to some extent for at least part of the day. If there are any places you really wish to visit I would suggest sending them an email first confirming that they will be open or not.