Mobility issues and beach

JEANMR1

Hi everyone.

I'm taking my mom on a cruise to Bermuda for her 80th birthday. I really want to take her to a beach there since they are supposed to be wonderful. My problem is that she walks fairly slow and is a little unsteady. She doesn't need a cane or walker but I think walking through sand would be too difficult. Does anyone have suggestions on how she could be at the beach and enjoy it but without walking through sand? Realistically this will probably be the last big trip I take her on and I want her to enjoy it.

Thanks

Hi everyone.

I'm taking my mom on a cruise to Bermuda for her 80th birthday. I really want to take her to a beach there since they are supposed to be wonderful. My problem is that she walks fairly slow and is a little unsteady. She doesn't need a cane or walker but I think walking through sand would be too difficult. Does anyone have suggestions on how she could be at the beach and enjoy it but without walking through sand? Realistically this will probably be the last big trip I take her on and I want her to enjoy it.

Thanks

At Tobacco Bay you can sit on the patio. You can see it in this picture. It overlooks the beach. No need to walk in sand. Also some asked about taxis at Tobacco. They can be seen waiting at the right.

6808343823109583c2611c7f689bdf0b.jpg

Yes, Tobacco Bay would be an option as well as St. Catherine's beach.

Thanks to Mitsugirly for this picture.:)

1233557376_St.catherinesbeach2.jpg.95f315ac37fa60516fd0a7955406dbc3.jpg

Jeanmr1, a full size picture can be found here, post #21.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2241520&page=2

Snorkel Park is also a possibility although not a good one, beach is not the kind of beach Bermuda is known for. As I recall, the sand is hard.

Charles, great picture of TB. It looks like the new owners have definitely made some improvements. Most of the grassy area has been leveled and sand put in to make more useable beach

I have seen pics of balloon tire wheel chairs @ Horseshoe beach.

Yes, they do have them there but the question is, would one be available when the OP needs it?

On a side note, I read, (but don't remember where), someone took a person in one of those IN THE WATER at Horseshoe!:eek:

I have seen pics of balloon tire wheel chairs @ Horseshoe beach.

I have not only seen the pictures but I have seen the ballon wheelchair in the past on the beach. But when I google on Horseshoe all the sites say it is not accessable and don't mention them. So I would hesitate to say they have them currently.

Edited by Charles4515

On a side note, I read, (but don't remember where), someone took a person in one of those IN THE WATER at Horseshoe!:eek:

They ones I have seen are basically PVC pipe big rubber tires and a mesh like seat and back so they appear to be able go in the water.

53276354_beachwheelchair.jpeg.cceabb8c8c9bc1327fbd6fde2c170db0.jpeg

They ones I have seen are basically PVC pipe big rubber tires and a mesh like seat and back so they appear to be able go in the water.

Well yes, to roll along at the edge of the water but not to bounce around in the waves and need help so the person doesn't drown.

Thank you all so much for your replies. That is why I Love this community! I think I will take her to tobacco bay. I'll look on other threads to see what my best options are to get there. I'm thinking a taxi should be fine. I don't think I want to deal with bus stuff with her. As a bonus, it looks like I can drink as much as I want while she is sitting on the patio. [emoji6]

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I have to say I don't have a great answer for you. I ended up not taking her on any excursions so really all she saw was the dock area and the shops. She enjoyed the trip because we have balcony and she spent most of her time on the balcony and buoyed the view. If anything, I would recommend a taxi tour of the island which is expensive. She didn't want me to spend the money on that so I didn't. Bermuda is beautiful and I really want to go back there again but I would not take my eighty-year-old mother there again. I should have done the taxi tour and sucked it up. That would be my recommendation.

HI Jean,

I was wondering what Bermuda excursion you went with and how your mom did. I ask because my mom is turning 80 in December and we are taking her on a cruise to Bermuda for her birthday.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have,

Thanks!!

We are using this vendor for a tour for our upcoming Bermuda cruise. We have a group, but he also has individual tour prices. I haven't used them yet, but the company came highly recommended.

http://winsometransport.com/