tokens or cash

cruisenuts4life

Yes, it's usually worth it to stand in line as $.50 multiplied by the number of rides each person in your party is taking adds up quickly. It's also a lot easier to carry one token per ride than twenty quarters or even five dollar coins per ride. Bills are not accepted...it's coins only.

Yes, it's usually worth it to stand in line as $.50 multiplied by the number of rides each person in your party is taking adds up quickly. It's also a lot easier to carry one token per ride than twenty quarters or even five dollar coins per ride. Bills are not accepted...it's coins only.

thanks, I didn't think about that.

Is cash (coins) accepted on the ferries? Only a 15 minute (if that) window between disembarkation and the departure time for the ferry to St. Georges. Worried about having to stand in line to buy tokens and miss the ferry.

Thanks!

The ferry schedule has the $5 cash fare on its list of fare options, so I have to assume they will accept it...although I can't recall seeing anyone paying by cash.

You say that that your disembarkation is 15 minutes before the ferry departs. If you're equating disembarkation time with the ship's scheduled docking time you're going to miss the ferry. Typically it takes about 30 minutes from the time the ship docks until the first passengers can disembark.

Edited by njhorseman

The ferry schedule has the $5 cash fare on its list of fare options, so I have to assume they will accept it...although I can't recall seeing anyone paying by cash.

You say that that your disembarkation is 15 minutes before the ferry departs. If you're equating disembarkation time with the ship's scheduled docking time you're going to miss the ferry. Typically it takes about 30 minutes from the time the ship docks until the first passengers can disembark.

Thanks! I see the cash price on the ferry schedule but there have been mixed comments about it in these forums. Hopefully it's the case.

The listed arrival time of Liberty of the Seas is 9:00. I've been watching the arrivals on the Dockyard webcam for a while and the first passengers generally seem to exit the ship by 9:15 or shortly thereafter. If this is the case in September, I hope to make a beeline the 9:30 St. George's ferry. If not, it's wait 2 hours for the next departure or come up with an alternative plan.

It's an hour later in Bermuda, which is in the Atlantic time zone, than it is on the east coast of the U.S., in the Eastern time zone. So you've been seeing the pax depart the ship after 10 a.m., U.S. time.

It's an hour later in Bermuda, which is in the Atlantic time zone, than it is on the east coast of the U.S., in the Eastern time zone. So you've been seeing the pax depart the ship after 10 a.m., U.S. time.

No, I've been watching them disembark at 8:15 Eastern time, 9:15 Bermuda Time.

It's also a lot easier to carry one token per ride than twenty quarters or even five dollar coins per ride. Bills are not accepted...it's coins only.
I read this a lot in preparation for our trip, but when we were there we saw plenty of people paying cash fares with paper money. This was on the bus, I didn't notice on the ferries. What is the rationale for not accepting bills? :confused:

I read this a lot in preparation for our trip, but when we were there we saw plenty of people paying cash fares with paper money. This was on the bus, I didn't notice on the ferries. What is the rationale for not accepting bills? :confused:

I have no idea why they don't accept bills...and any drivers that are doing it are presumably just being nice to tourists, but they are violating the rules. I can tell you that one poster who came back from Bermuda a couple of weeks ago complained about not being able to use bills on the bus...she said she didn't realize (despite the fact that it gets posted here on almost a daily basis) that exact change also means coins only.

We're not making it up the "coins only" rule out of the thin air. Here's what the bus schedule says: "Exact change only. Dollar bills not accepted." It's also clearly stated on the Department of Public Transportation's website: http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=959&&PageID=235554&mode=2&in_hi_userid=2&cached=true

Edited by njhorseman

Here's what the bus schedule says: "Exact change only. Dollar bills not accepted."
Could it be that they just mean US $1 bills? Because all the people I saw were paying with larger bills. I can almost understand not wanting a bunch of crumpled $1 bills clogging up the fare box, but now that they have raised the cash fare to $5 I do hope they stop turning people away who want to pay with a $5 bill!

Could it be that they just mean US $1 bills? Because all the people I saw were paying with larger bills. I can almost understand not wanting a bunch of crumpled $1 bills clogging up the fare box, but now that they have raised the cash fare to $5 I do hope they stop turning people away who want to pay with a $5 bill!

No it does not just mean US $1 bills. This is from the web page to which I provided the link in my last post:

Cash (Exact change only/ coins only)

If you do take the ferry into Hamilton, take a minute and go into the transportation center there where you can buy the 14-zone ticket booklets containing 15 tickets. The cost is $37.50 for adult tickets and $9.50 for children tickets. Any future ride on buses or ferries will then cost $2.50 per adult and $.63 per child. Children under 5 ride for free. Much cheaper than the tokens or cash. Only problem is that you can't buy ticket booklets at the Dockyard (Bermuda can make much more money off of cruise passengers that way).

• 2 weeks later...
Is cash (coins) accepted on the ferries? Only a 15 minute (if that) window between disembarkation and the departure time for the ferry to St. Georges. Worried about having to stand in line to buy tokens and miss the ferry.

Thanks!

To answer your question, YES the ferry takes your cash (coins) so if you are pressed for time and don't want to stand in line to buy a token, no worries. We just did it in June. :)

To answer your question, YES the ferry takes your cash (coins) so if you are pressed for time and don't want to stand in line to buy a token, no worries. We just did it in June. :)

I'm bringing quarters. I figure I can use them in the slot machines if I don't need them for the ferry.

Thanks! Good information. Seems like the ferries would prefer paper money, but I'll bring along a couple rolls of quarters.

Hi, I am in a group of 4, is it worth it to use tokens from the dockyard to get around or buy 4 tokens and get a ticket book to share for the group to use on both ferry/bus?
Tokens are $4.50 each, tickets are $2.50 each. With 4 people you can probably use up one sheet of 15 tickets quite easily, and it may even be worthwhile buying two sheets depending on your sightseeing plans. You can save leftover tickets for your next visit (or find someone else on your cruise who can use them).

• 2 weeks later...

Can you purchase a booklet of transportation tickets in St George's? I know they are available in Hamilton but not at Dockyard. We have a few leftover from last trip to Bermuda and will be using them for the ferry to St George's on the first day in port. I was hoping I could buy more in St George's.

Can you purchase a booklet of transportation tickets in St George's? I know they are available in Hamilton but not at Dockyard. We have a few leftover from last trip to Bermuda and will be using them for the ferry to St George's on the first day in port. I was hoping I could buy more in St George's.

They may sell them at the Visitor's Center but did not when we were there. We had to buy them at the Post Office, which is a short walk from the square on Water and it was cash only.