Fort Lauderdale airport to Miami pier?

I am starting to check out flights, in preparation for booking a cruise that sails from Miami. Some airlines fly into Miami and some into Fort Lauderdale.

How far are we talking from the Fort Lauderdale airport to the hotels etc near the pier in Miami? Are there shuttles that provide this service and can I get that through RCCL?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA

mom2two2

MIA will be easier, faster and cheaper, as far as transportation to the port goes...

If you fly into Ft. Laud, you can take the RCI shuttle, if you want, or book something on your own. It takes about 40 mins.. to 1 hr. from Ft Laud.

there is a no reservation shuttle right outside of the baggage claim area in Ft Lauderdale for 18$ a person. On the way back though the shuttle is not allowed in the port area so you can take a taxi for 65$. I like this way because we can grab any cab and are not trying to "find" anyone.

We have done it many times and it works out great.

I am starting to check out flights, in preparation for booking a cruise that sails from Miami. Some airlines fly into Miami and some into Fort Lauderdale.

How far are we talking from the Fort Lauderdale airport to the hotels etc near the pier in Miami? Are there shuttles that provide this service and can I get that through RCCL?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA

mom2two2

Shuttle or TriRail to Miami but you can purchase RCI transportation on the ship for the return.

We flew into FLL, took a free hotel shuttle to the SpringHill Suites ($95 per night) in Ft. Lauderdale (by the airport) and then used SAS Transportation from SpringHill to POM. On the return we used them from POM to FLL. $14 each way pp, very reliable, and much cheaper than the RCI shuttle. There are lots of answers and contact information on your question in the Florida Departure Boards found under Ports of Call.

By the way, I clocked the time and it was 35 minutes from hotel in FLL to POM. I don't think our driver was speeding, either! :D Have a great cruise!

My wife took a short "girls only" cruise from Miami in December and the best flight arrangements were through Ft Lauderdale. When we did the TA in April from Ft Lauderdale, the best [maybe only since we were using points] flight arrangements were through Miami. DW tool the shuttle from FLL to Miami, no problem. WE took Tri Rail from Miami to FLL in April. No real problems but you do have to make sure you have enough time to allow for their schedule. You have to take a shuttle [free] from the airport to the Tri Rail station and then the train from the FLL station to the Miami airport station [$4 last April] then a shuttle or cab to where you want to end up, Airport, port, hotel, whatever. We mainly did Tri Rail to see if we could. Franklly, if there is a shuttle available for $18, I'd do that.

A trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami is, as previous poster said, about 40 mins. to an hour, on a good day. You'll be dealing with I-95, and there's quite a bit of construction going on, and it could take longer. Also, depending on what time you come in, you may have to deal with rush hour traffic - not a joy.....

M.

• 4 weeks later...

We have taken many cruises out of Florida and have flown into Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Our preference is Ft. Lauderdale. The airport doesn't have the traffic that Miami has and our fairs from the midwest were cheaper. We always fly in a day early and stay at a hotel. We use the cruise lines transportation both to the pier and back to the airport. On the morning the ship leaves, we just take the free hotel shuttle from the hotel back to the airport and contact the cruise people there.

The ride to the pier is not a bad trip at all, kind of like a mini sight seeing tour. We actually had more traffic issues when we flew into Miami then Ft. Lauderdale.

• 3 weeks later...
So can someone explain to me how this situation would work. If we buy the rccl transfer form fll airport to the miami pier, will i not be able to fly in the day before the cruise like i normally do?

We have done this before. You'll have to stay at a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. Find a hotel with a free airport shuttle. The shuttle can pick you up at the airport when you arrive. Then the next day, they bring you back to the airport and you hop on the RCI shuttle. It won't work if you want to stay in Miami.

I wouldn't worry about finding transportation - what you do have to be careful is to not book your flight too early on your return. After noon is ok - after 1:00 is even better. Depending on what time your ship docks and what day of the week it is. My flight is at 2:15 and we'll have to wait at the airport, but I'd rather do that than get stressed out.

RCCL quoted us $29 pp back to FFL. We're using SAS both ways at $13 pp. We're flying Southwest and arriving a day early and staying at the Holiday Inn downtown Miami and we'll take a cab to the port. SW was the only nonstop flights I could find and the price was right - worth the extra little hassle in my opinion.

Enjoy your cruise!

The tickets to FLL were half the price of flying into MIA. We flew in the morning of the cruise, rented a car and drove to the car rental drop off in MIA. The car rental place had a shuttle to the cruise terminal. It didn't take too long to drive there, and we didn't hit any traffic on a Sunday morning. It was cheaper for us to rent a car than to take any other type of transportation, and it was an easy drive. This way, if you wanted to stop at a store and pick up some water or liquor, you can. I would highly recommend doing it this way.

I'm flying down from Canada and it was $300 one way to Fort Lauderdale and $400 one way to Miami. So I of course picked Fort Lauderdale!

I've been in contact with a few shuttle and limo services to get me from Fort Lauderdale to the Port Of Miami..

Quality Limo Service offers a shuttle for $15 per person that leaves FLL at 10am, 12pm and 1pm.

South FL Limo's offers a Stretch Limo for $125.

Jewel Limo was around the same, about $120.

I figure why not take a limo for the 40-60 minute ride and ride in style? :)

Last year we flew into FLL, took the rental car shuttle to pick up a car. We got the car through a site we found on-line that has great deals in Florida. It was about $43. There were four of us so it was a good deal. We stayed overnight in Miami and had use of the car. The next day we dropped the car off at the Miami airport and took the rental car company shuttle to the Port.

When we returned we caught the rental car shuttle at the Port and took it to the Miami airport to get our car. We then drove to the FLL airport and dropped off the car and flew out of FLL. We were off of the ship by 9:00AM and had an afternoon flight so we were able to spend some time at the beach and have a nice lunch before we got to the airport.

We've used SAS Shuttle for transfers between FLL and Miami

SAS is excellent. We used them last week. Made reservations online. They met us at the airport and dropped us at the pier (about a 40 minute including stopping to pickup a couple at a hotel). They also met us at the pier on our return. Again no problem (35 minute ride back to Ft Lauderdale Airport). Cost was $15 per person each way (we also tipped the driver).

Highly recommend them and I will definitely use them again.

Whatever you decide do not use the RCI shuttle (you have no control over when your depart the airport or pier).

Cost of transfers from FLL airport to Miami Port by RCCL and return is 60.00 a person. We are flying with Southwest into FLL on Jan 31/10 and going to Miami hotel overnight with SAS Shuttle cost 15.00 per person one way. Taking cab to port in morning from hotel approx. 10.00. On return from cruise using SAS Shuttle again 15.00 per person to FLL airport.

Got this company from departure port information on this website. Many cruisers have used this company and have posted great reviews.

Addicted Cruiser

I'm flying down from Canada and it was $300 one way to Fort Lauderdale and $400 one way to Miami. So I of course picked Fort Lauderdale!

I've been in contact with a few shuttle and limo services to get me from Fort Lauderdale to the Port Of Miami..

Quality Limo Service offers a shuttle for $15 per person that leaves FLL at 10am, 12pm and 1pm.

South FL Limo's offers a Stretch Limo for $125.

Jewel Limo was around the same, about $120.

I figure why not take a limo for the 40-60 minute ride and ride in style? :)

I like that idea:):) We did that when we were travelling from Universal to WDW. As far as the POM goes we usually just do the RC transfers.

We used SAS and they were great no delays no problems. It only took us 30 minutes from Fort Lauderdale to Miami port and that was with a slight hold up. It cost us $15 per person each way.

We called them once we were ready to be picked up from the airport and they were there in less than 10 minutes, then coming home we called them once we cleared customs and they told us where to meet them, straight on the mini bus and off to the airport.

We will certainly use them again in the future.

Archived