bumped cabin

pittybeck

Hi has anyone advice on what to do when you have chosen and booked your cabin to find out when you receive you tickets you are on a deck two lower than booked, other side of ship, bang outside a lift and no longer midships.

Have contacted agent but they think I will have to accept it. Anyone had this problem. Thanks

We book thru the cruise line and have never had problems changing cabins. Last cruise, a B2B, we had to book inside on deck we wanted, no outsides we available. We kept checking and discovered an out side became available. We called the cruise line and for $40 we had no problem changing cabins. Same thing happened the next week. We changed cabins for 2ndweek to outside. Cabins were next door to each other but ship contacted the other passengers and we were able to switch cabins so we stayed in the same cabin.

Find an available cabin you'd like and just call the cruise line or demand your TA do it. Explain the cabin is not what you booked and you wan this new one.

Edited by Bonnie J.

Hi has anyone advice on what to do when you have chosen and booked your cabin to find out when you receive you tickets you are on a deck two lower than booked, other side of ship, bang outside a lift and no longer midships.

Have contacted agent but they think I will have to accept it. Anyone had this problem. Thanks

Chances are you were actually upgraded and not "bumped". Check the cabin category of the original one against the new one. The new one is probably a higher category. Though you've been moved to a lower deck the cabin category still might be higher than originally booked. Cabin category defines an upgrade not the cabin deck.,

Most cruise lines allow you to set up an on-line profile, If you do not want your cabin upgraded than you have to check that option on your profile.

Might be helpful to understand what cruise line and who it was booked through. That might have some impact on what happened. For example, perhaps there was "fine print" restrictions regarding your booking through your TA if they were offering special pricing or block room booking assignments, etc.

But to your question, in 22 years of cruising that has never happened to us. We have always been able to specify and confirm our stateroom with our original booking. The only time we've had any changes to that has been with a stateroom category upgrade, for which we were notified - and agreed - in advance.

We need more info before we can comment.

Did your TA check 'no upgrades accepted'? Sometimes a ship will move you to what is technically a higher, more costly category and call it an upgrade though not everyone would agree it is a 'better' cabin in terms of location etc Perhaps, as suggested, that is what happened to you. If your TA neglected to check 'do not upgrade' there isn't much she can do but you can certainly speak with her about her failure to explain this to you.

You can ask your TA work hard to find a cabin in which you will be happier but if the ship is full, it isn't likely she can do much. Call it a learning experience, ask your TA for a small 'oops, sorry' token and don't let it ruin your cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

Happened to us as we were checking in at the pier once.

We were pissed and will probably not sail that cruise line ever again.

It was technically an "upgrade" though we did not feel that way. New room was terrible, we never would've selected it.

If you are not happy with your new cabin, contact your TA asap. If nothing can be done, I'd suggest canceling, re-booking on your own, and not using that TA again.

Edited by Lerin

Happened to us as we were checking in at the pier once.

We were pissed and will probably not sail that cruise line ever again.

It was technically an "upgrade" though we did not feel that way. New room was terrible, we never would've selected it.

If you are not happy with your new cabin, contact your TA asap. If nothing can be done, I'd suggest canceling, re-booking on your own, and not using that TA again.

Problem is that since the OP is from Bradford they probably booked in the UK, where a deposit is forfeit from the moment it's handed over. So cancelling & re-booking isn't financially viable.

But consumer law is stronger in the UK so they may have a case for breach of contract. Well worth a try, via Trading Standards if time permits(and those wheels move veeerrrryyyy slowly) or by a mix of pleading & veiled threats.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Some cruise lines 'upgrade' as a matter of course (Princess) and others never do (Carnival).

The few times we've been upgraded by the cruise line we've been notified.

Your TA will have received this notice if you booked that way.

Edited by SadieN

OP did not state cruise line or category booked & changed to , so best guess is this was a free upgrade ( in the eyes of the CL anyway).

Some CL's allow you to decline upgrades , some don't have that option.

Doesn't really matter as any CL can upgrade you , change your cabin , for any reason.

As long as it is not a category downgrade from what you booked & paid for , CL can do it .

Never heard a free upgrade called a bump before :-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When are you leaving? Are you past the cancellation period? Can you fire your TA, cancel the reservation, and rebook it? Have you demanded to talk to your TA's boss? Just contacting your TA is insufficient; you need to make a real big fuss.

DON

Some cruise lines 'upgrade' as a matter of course (Princess) and others never do (Carnival).

The few times we've been upgraded by the cruise line we've been notified.

Your TA will have received this notice if you booked that way.

Carnival does upgrade. In the summer of 2013, our TA called and told us that we were upgraded on the Carnival Liberty. It was a quite nice upgrade, several decks. He advised that we take it, and we did. We ended up very happy with the location of the cabin.

This past summer when checking my cruise personalizer, I discovered we had been upgraded from an inside to an OV on the Ocean Princess. I called our TA, (same one). He had not been informed, though Princess claims to have sent him an e-mail. He checked and it was just below a bar. We decided it would be too noisy, and did not want it. He tried to get us a different OV, but they claimed there were none available. They also said our original cabin had been taken out of the inventory, but this turned out to be not true as the cabin was occupied during our cruise. After much going back and forth with Princess, we ended up with a cabin only a few cabins away from our original booked cabin, Technically, it was a downgrade because it was not as central, and our fare went down a very few dollars.

If I had not checked our personalizer, I too would have been surprised at the pier.

Once friends and I booked 3 cabins side by side...we were all "upgraded" and spread out. Called Princess to complain that their idea of upgrading was not ours. Princess get everyone together again and those cabins were "an upgrade"

I have to tell this story. Once on a 33 day TA on Princess we sat next to a couple in the theatre and they started to complain that the couple who were traveling with them received an "upgrade" to a mini suite from the balcony. They were really p---ed. It seemed that they didn't really like that couple but were overheard talking about the upcoming cruise. The couple also booked that cruise...it was their first time sailing with Princess...and they got this great upgrade...and the couple that originally booked were ELITE . I have to laugh every time I think how that actually ruined the cruise for them....saw them toward the end of the cruise and they were still p---ed and not talking to the "friends":rolleyes:

Did the TA book you into a Guarantee Cabin without you being aware of what you were getting. If so you may be moved again.

If the cabin is a guarantee you are not assigned a stateroom until after final payment-around 2 and half months, often even closer to sailing. Plus, you get a guarantee of a certain category-so it is that category or higher, though as some have mentioned the higher category can be next to an elevator under a lounge,etc.

We have been "upgraded" a few times on Carnival. One, on my first cruise ever, was a bad move from an inside to an inside, but right under the dining room (with the vacuuming going on late at night). A couple of others were fine, including one to an OV. On our last few cruises, I booked directly with Princess and insisted on "no upgrade" as we wanted a specific location (and absolutely not far forward on a typically rough seas itinerary).

Just wondering, as others are, if the OP's booking was marked "no upgrade" (and if not, was made aware of that option). If a guaranteed booking or if not marked "no upgrade" (some cruise lines, like Princess, have the okay on upgrades as the default), then the OP can only make a plead and see if he can get original cabin back.

If the cabin is a guarantee you are not assigned a stateroom until after final payment-around 2 and half months, often even closer to sailing. Plus, you get a guarantee of a certain category-so it is that category or higher, though as some have mentioned the higher category can be next to an elevator under a lounge,etc.

We have booked GTY cabins twice on RCCL and have had our cabin assigned within a few weeks of booking and 6-8 months before final payment. Our first cabin was great, the second time we were given a deck six cabin near the promenade café elevators, we called our TA to see if we could change to another E2 balcony that my wife found was still open and they moved us to deck 9 on the hump. happy cruising

We have booked GTY cabins twice on RCCL and have had our cabin assigned within a few weeks of booking and 6-8 months before final payment. Our first cabin was great, the second time we were given a deck six cabin near the promenade café elevators, we called our TA to see if we could change to another E2 balcony that my wife found was still open and they moved us to deck 9 on the hump. happy cruising

There is always an exception. I have never booked a guarantee on RCI. We have always went with assigned cabins when we booked them. I have on NCL, Disney, and HAL because those times booking a guarantee was considerably less. If all we save is $35 a person, nope a guarantee is not worth the crap shoot for that little bit of savings. (the savings on our last cruise on Princess),I guess I have booked guarantees 5 times, in 23 cruise bookings and each of these times were cruises booked under 4 months before the ship sailed. We would get our assigned cabin until 2 or 3 weeks before sailing. Once was about 8 days out. Of the 5 times, only twice did we really like our stateroom, although none were as terrible as some horror stories I have read on this forum. We stay away from guarantees unless it is a good savings to do so.

My guess is RCI must have sold much better earlier? because if they have a lot of cabins unsold they wait until later. Which, as I said in our case, we had always booked close to sail date when we have booked guarantees.

However, a moot point to me, because if the OP booked a guarantee how do they have room to complain?

There is always an exception. I have never booked a guarantee on RCI. We have always went with assigned cabins when we booked them. I have on NCL, Disney, and HAL because those times booking a guarantee was considerably less. If all we save is $35 a person, nope a guarantee is not worth the crap shoot for that little bit of savings. (the savings on our last cruise on Princess),I guess I have booked guarantees 5 times, in 23 cruise bookings and each of these times were cruises booked under 4 months before the ship sailed. We would get our assigned cabin until 2 or 3 weeks before sailing. Once was about 8 days out. Of the 5 times, only twice did we really like our stateroom, although none were as terrible as some horror stories I have read on this forum. We stay away from guarantees unless it is a good savings to do so.

My guess is RCI must have sold much better earlier? because if they have a lot of cabins unsold they wait until later. Which, as I said in our case, we had always booked close to sail date when we have booked guarantees.

However, a moot point to me, because if the OP booked a guarantee how do they have room to complain?

Ditto on your reply, we also only booked the GTY because of a several hundred dollar price difference. We felt very lucky they let us move and probably will not book GTY in the future..happy cruising