Is it windy on a cruise ship?

clcurry

Outside on the deck while the ship is not docked and it is sailing, will the ship be windy?

If size matters, I am referring to the Freedom class of ships of RCCI.

It can be windy at times and often is at different times of the year. Windy weather can also depend on what port you sail from.

Have been on cruises where it seemed to be very windy to slightly windy out on open decks most of the cruise while we were moving. Have been on other cruises - same itinerary - when it seemed like we rarely had wind except in the evenings when we were traveling faster.

Dianne

Yes, it very much depends on the itinerary and the time of year you're sailing. I just returned from a Princess cruise to the Southern Caribbean in early February, and the wind was so strong for the first few days that the door to our balcony was extremely hard to open due to the vacuum effect! This was unusual, though. I don't recall much of a wind factor on any of my other cruises (I've been on nine so far...RCCL, NCL, and Princess) :)

Happy sailing!

Yes, it very much depends on the itinerary and the time of year you're sailing. I just returned from a Princess cruise to the Southern Caribbean in early February, and the wind was so strong for the first few days that the door to our balcony was extremely hard to open due to the vacuum effect! This was unusual, though. I don't recall much of a wind factor on any of my other cruises (I've been on nine so far...RCCL, NCL, and Princess) :)

Happy sailing!

On our Miracle cruise that ended last month we had steady winds out of the NE during the entire 8-day cruise. We sailed the same itinerary out of the same port (Ft. Lauderdale) the same week last year on Carnival Legend and had little wind at all.

You just never know.

Dianne

On our last cruise (western caribbean ), it was so windy one afternoon I saw one fellow lose his cap AND sunglasses over the side ( it was a Cubs cap, so no loss there hehee )....I think the glasses must have been quite expensive by the way he was acting...funny part was his wife told him to pipe down and have another drink!! It was unusually windy that day, but the next day there wasnt a breeze...so you never know :)

When the ship is really moving, the winds can reach 40 knots---hard to keep a book open on the pool deck! BUT-- it can be hot as hell out there and the wind sure helps with keeping you a bit cool!

When the ship is in port, there may be little or no wind--depends on the weather!

It all depends! If you have a 20 mph wind coming at your back, and you are going 20 mph WITH the wind, you will feel no wind. If you are headed INTO a 20 mph wind and you are going 20 mph, it will feel like a 40 mph wind.

It all depends! If you have a 20 mph wind coming at your back, and you are going 20 mph WITH the wind, you will feel no wind. If you are headed INTO a 20 mph wind and you are going 20 mph, it will feel like a 40 mph wind.

Ditto! Plus several m.p.h. for the wind to speed up at the surface of the ship as it tries to keep up with the straight line wind off to the side.

It depends on where on the ship...it's traveling at 20+ knots, and if it's going into a headwind, it can be very breezy on exposed areas. Most of the passenger decks have some shielding from the wind. But if you go to the helecopter pad (on the bow), or on the upper decks above the pool, and forward, you can feel the full breeze...a very nice way to cool off.

Sheffie's post above is accurate and tells you all you need to know about that -- except that depending on the direction of the wind, it can be much more windy on one side of the ship than on the other. Also, you may be sailing into a ten knot breeze at twenty knots giving you a 30 knot headwind but back on your balcony it may be barely noticeable at all because the ship provides its own shield from the wind.

Outside on the deck while the ship is not docked and it is sailing, will the ship be windy?
That depends on

a) The speed of any 'local' wind

b) The direction of that wind

c) The speed of the ship

d) The direction of the ship

Sometimes they cancel each other out, sometimes they add together.

• 3 weeks later...
Let us do the math. ship is moving at 15-20 knots, wind is pushed aside. What do you think

If the wind is coming from the port side, and you are on the starboard side, you won't get any wind; if you are on the port side, it will be windy; if you are topside, it will be windy; if you are inside, you won't feel a thing!! :p

On our western caribbean cruise last week, the weather was beautiful, no rain at all, but the wind was awful and the seas were 15 to 18 foot high a couple nights. During one of those evenings, the wind was so bad that on the starboard side of the ship, you could hear it howling. Several young men (spring breakers) were determined to go out on deck and it took two young strapping guys, pushing with all their might to get the door open. On the port side it was windy but not nearly as much. So it really can vary from side to side.

Archived