May 3, 2012 - Jewel of the Seas/Transatlantic

fun1too

Out of curiosity, any friends of dorothy cruising Transatlantic May 3,2012 on RCCL - Jewel? Solo cruiser here. Would love to meet up for drinks, fun & laughters, share stories, dance the night away etc etc etc.

Yes there are a few of us on this cruise, myself and a friend (Jerry) will be on this cruise. We are from Houston. We are flying in from Hawaii and will just be getting off the Rhapsody of the Seas from Sydney to Hawaii. Looking forward to chating more and meeting you.

This is wonderful. I look forward to meeting you as well. We have a lot of fun and laughters ahead of us. My name is Larry. I am a young looking 57 yo pacific islander from Palm Springs, Ca. Cruising, ballroom/latin dancing, meeting new people is what keeps me going. A little shy but once I get to know you, I'll ease up and can be a lot of fun.

Nice to meet you Larry. My partner and I have been to Palm Springs a lot in fact we spent Christmas and New Year there this last year. I am 69 partner is 50 but he will not be going with me on this trip, as i said a friend (Jerry) will be travel with me, we are just friends. We live in Houston Tx and do a lot of cruise.

I as of yet I have not got my confermation letter for this cruise but I am sure I will be there. Right now I am getting ready to fly to Sydney to take the Rhapsody of the Seas from Sydney to Hawaii with stops at many of the pacific island. Which one are Island is your family from? Are you traveling alone?

Looking to meeting you, it sounds like it could be fun.:D

Robert (or Dale)

I posted a thread for this cruise and got no responses. Glad at least a few of us will be on board in addition to my partner and me. In case you folks are not aware, RCL does not put notices for private group get-togethers in the daily paper. Look for the bulletin board near Reception. Put up or look for a passenger posted notice for a GBLT meeting place and time. If one of you puts up the notice, keep in mind dining times. Meeting at about 7 or 7:30 will allow both early, late and anytime diners to make it. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Jeff in San Francisco. I will be on this cruise. I have noticed that fewer and fewer cruise lines are posting F.O.D. events/locations. When they have and I went, no-one showed up, but I still encountered lots of LGBT folks around the ship. Thankfully I think we have come to a stage in our collective history, where "discrete" labels like F.O.D. are unnecessary, or just annoy us, and perhaps reminds us of times when many of us were in either in the closet, or if not, hugely ostracized for our "choice". If they were going to do anything, I would say call it what it is, a place for the gay folks to meet. If I thought I had to hide my sexualty, I'd just go on a "gay Cruise". Did that (boring). I'm traveling with my Sister. We have side by side cabins on Deck 8. About once a year or so, we choose a trip that no-one else in the family would want to take, because we love the one on one time we get to have. She is my best travel buddy, and I will be mostly hanging out w/ her, but I look forward to running into any or all of you, but probably not at the FOD location. I'm happy to say I think we don't need that any more....

Of the 10 cruise lines we have sailed during 52 cruises, only those lines owned by RCI refuse to place FOD or GLBT notices in the ship's daily paper, though they have a bulletin board where such a notice is posted (Celebrity though small and hard to find) or can be posted RCL. The Martini Bar on Celebrity is so well known as Gay Central that a notice would probably be superfluous. Just walking by this bar at cocktail hour is equivalent to a neon sign saying "gay bar here."

Many of the other lines now use the term GLBT (Princess and Cunard, for example). We have also been to GLBT meetings on ships were few, if any others showed up, even though we noticed a number of obviously gay people. Sadly, we noticed that rather than being so out they didn't care, they were very closeted and somehow thought being with other gays would "out" them. It is hard to believe that some people think that they are fooling others if they don't associate with other gays.While we have never actually told our table mates that we were gay, within a short time it was a given and never has there been a problem. With full knowledge of seeming chauvinistic, if one looks at the tables in the dining room seeming to have the most fun, often those tables have one or more gay guys.

I posted a thread for this cruise and got no responses. Glad at least a few of us will be on board in addition to my partner and me. In case you folks are not aware, RCL does not put notices for private group get-togethers in the daily paper. Look for the bulletin board near Reception. Put up or look for a passenger posted notice for a GBLT meeting place and time. If one of you puts up the notice, keep in mind dining times. Meeting at about 7 or 7:30 will allow both early, late and anytime diners to make it. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Michael

Michael, my partner Daryl and I are on the TA and looking forward to it, my first transatlantic. We live in Ft. Lauderdale so just driving down and getting on the ship. I'm sure we'll find all of our "family" members on board. Brad

Michael, my partner Daryl and I are on the TA and looking forward to it, my first transatlantic. We live in Ft. Lauderdale so just driving down and getting on the ship. I'm sure we'll find all of our "family" members on board. Brad

We will be in cabin 8012. If we don't bump into each other in one of the bars, give a call to our cabin.

We booked rather late and are wait-listed for "anytime" dining, which we prefer; otherwise, we will be at late seating. The champagne bar tends to be the most common meeting place, so check it out at different times as you wander around. The most common meeting times are about 7:30 and after the shows, usually about 9:00 and 11:00.

Archived