Cruisetour vs. DIY - am I crazy to think that cruisetour is the better option?

Travelalot2

We are in our 50's and have cruised many, many times on RCCL and Celebrity - and will be sailing with one of them to Alaska in 2013. We have always been the Do It Yourself type folks due to options and cost. However, this is our first time to Alaska and looking at the pricing for the hotels, trains, tours, etc. it seems like the cruisetour 3-day extensions (either pre or post-cruise) that includes Denali and Talkeenta is not much more than doing it on your own - with the convenience of not having to worry about the arrangements and luggage. I've always avoided the cruisetours - am I losing my mind?

Look at the placeds you are going and figure out how much time you are spening in travel and how much in the locations. We did a 4 day tour after our NB cruise. We left Seward by motor coach at 8:30am, drove up Turnagain Arm (stopping at the Wildlife Refuge Center), having 1.5 hr in Anchorage for lunch, and then 5 more hours to Denali.

The views were good. I somewhat enjoyed the ride. Our guide was not very informed and that may have negatively impacted our enjoyment. (He told us Mt McKinley was named after one of the first guys to climb it. LOL I know I am a history buff-but, if you are taking tourists on a tour that views Mt Mckinley you should at least know he was a President!!!:eek:)

Then we had 2 nights at the McKinley Chalet. We upgrade the Natural History tour (4-5 hrs) to a Tundra Wilderness tour (8is hrs).If you have less than 2 nights in Denali you will likely not have time for this tour. The NHT only goes 17 miles into the park. You can go 15 miles into the park on a NPS shuttle for free. So the NHT is not worth the cost.

Then we took the train back to Anchorage. It leaves at 12:30 and gets to Anchorage at 8pm.

So you say the cruise tour you are lookig at is 3 days. So you would need to delete one of these days. You mention Talkeetna. Do you stop there the first night?

Which cruise line tour makes a difference, too.Pricess lets you cancel the NHT for a refund and the others do not. (so I have read)

I know this was a long answer. But, I wanted you to see you really need to read between the lines on the cruise tours to see what the specifics are. The cruise lines all add their trains to the Alaska RR. So, look at the tour details and then the Alaska RR to see when you arrive and leave the locations.

Buses get you from point A to B faster, but are not much fun. The trains are GREAT, but, slower. (great way to see Alaska)

PS you can arrange anything your self.However, the other couple that traveled with us felt not having to deal with luggage was a huge benefit.

Lots of posters on this board advocate independent travel in Alaska. If you are only talking 3 days, I might agree with them, since you say you are the DIY type folks anyway. You might want to look at renting a car and doing Denali on your own, either before or after your cruise. Most on this board say you save money DIY instead of the short cruisetours.

If you were looking at a week or more on land in addition to the cruise, then I prefer the cruisetour. The logistics of getting around the Yukon and interior Alaska was just more than I wanted to tackle for our party of 4. Our cruisetour covered 1800 miles. While I love coach travel, not everyone does.

Just do your research and do what is best for you. Have a great trip. Alaska is awesome no matter which way you do it.

We are in our 50's and have cruised many, many times on RCCL and Celebrity - and will be sailing with one of them to Alaska in 2013. We have always been the Do It Yourself type folks due to options and cost. However, this is our first time to Alaska and looking at the pricing for the hotels, trains, tours, etc. it seems like the cruisetour 3-day extensions (either pre or post-cruise) that includes Denali and Talkeenta is not much more than doing it on your own - with the convenience of not having to worry about the arrangements and luggage. I've always avoided the cruisetours - am I losing my mind?

If you only have 3 days, DIY. You won't see much on a cruise tour. The majority of your time will be spent in transit.

Rent a car in Seward. Drive DIRECTLY (with stops) to Denali. Long drive-you will be tired.

BUT it will give you at least one full day and possibly 2 or at least a good day and 3/4 before you have to go back to Anchorage to fly home. 95% of the flights back to the lower 48 leave after 10PM, so you can leave pretty late from Denali on that third day and still make your plane. Beats sitting around the airport for hours.

On the cruise tour, I bet the first day you spend the night in Talkeetna (long way from Denali Park).

Then the second day you get up in Talkeetna, drive to Denali and only get the afternoon/early evening to seen anything of the park.

Day 3-back to Anchorage you go.

If you can handle the driving and Denali is the highlight of your tour, I sure wouldn't be spending my time on trains/buses, waiting for everyone to get their ducks in a row and being led around like children on tours.

I will always say, three days are not enough. Most all this time will be in transit on a cruisetour. Add, the wait and fixed schedules involved.

I do advocate for an informed choice. And know the precise details that most people do not know. The above poster, likely did NOT have any clue about Denali Park differences, until they were read about elsewhere, certainly no clue from the tour description. Their "changeing" and upgraded tour, would NOT have happened, with out knowing this.

I suggest you find out, about the areas. Do you WANT to viist Talkeetna? You already know, how you want to occupy your time there. Or does it "sound" good in the tour. What about Denali Park?? Do you know the details involved in visiting there. Is this of any interest to you? Are you just looking to say you've been to Alaska and don't care what you do? Are you looking for packing the most you can into a visit?

All questions to perhaps be considered. Then a planning direction can go forward. Just going in blind based on some vague descriptions and not knowing about areas, is a mistake for some.

You are on this board. Asked a question that at least tells me, you are willing to do some homework. Then do so, it will pay off many times over, in getting you the Alaska travel option that is right for your priority.

Which location supports YOUR interests?

Without a car, you're stuck at the hotel in both locations. At least in Talkeetna you can pay for a shuttle to take you into town.

I've stopped in Talkeetna for Denali flightseeing but we were weathered out both times. Many people enjoy Talkeetna and think it's cute and quirky. It didn't do anything for me.

Alyeska is in a wonderful area where there is lots to see and do IF you have a car. It's only about 30 minutes from Anchorage. Along the Turnagain Arm you can pan for gold, hike, visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, visit Portage Glacier, Potters Marsh, etc.... Check out the recommended stops on this link.

http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Thanks for the good advice. It looks like due to transit times, we should plan on at least 4 days. If you had to choose - either DIY or by cruisetour, would Talkeenta or an Alyseka stop be the preferred option?

If you have a car--stay in Alyeska. I loved the hotel. We drove down from anchorage to view the turnagain Arm and to ride the tram. It was a very good trip.

It is a pricey hotel. But, Anchorage hotels are pricey, too. Our not very nice Quality Suites (downtown location--which has better reviews than the airport location) was $230/night. (Just to give you an idea)

As to your original question, is a cruisetour a better option ? It depends on your budget, interests, priorities and physical abilities. For some it's a wonderful option. As others stated, it's very important to learn about the travel times with any tour. Get the arrival and departure times for each destination or you may find yourself with no time for planned activities when you arrive. The '2 days at Denali' is the most glaring example. People are thrilled to have 2 days at the Park but then are disappointed to learn that they only have time for the Natural History Tour, which goes to mile 17 of 100 available miles of park road. The train arrives late afternoon on Day 1 and leaves noon Day 2.

I've never taken an Alaska cruisetour. I've rented cars and an RV, tent camped and stayed in hotels. A tour wouldn't address my interests and priorities. I've been able to pull off the Parks Hwy to watch moose graze, or stop along the Turnagain Arm to watch mountain goats on the ridge, or belugas close to shore, or watch swans along Potters Marsh. As I enjoyed those lovely moments, the tour buses sped on by. And with a rental vehicle I can stop at unique little places like the Eklutna spirit houses only 30 minutes north of Anchorage, or watch combat fishing at Cooper Landing an hr from Seward, or watch salmon from the viewing platforms at Williwaw. I wouldn't experience those things on a tour. As an able-bodied 60 yr woman, I want to get as much as I can from a vacation and I want to get the most for my money. It's easy to get around in Alaska, and I'm comfortable travelling alone or with others. Plus I'm frugal and DIY is always cheaper. At this poiint in my life, having my luggage transferred isn't a priority so a cruisetour isn't even a consideration. But that's me. You need to determine which option works best for YOUR priorities. Don't put so much stock in what others say and do. Figure out what you want to see and do and the best way for YOU to do so. Enjoy your trip!

Perfect explanation, Mapleleaves! I've read others in the past trying to convey the difference between a cruisetour vs. DIY, and your explanation is probably the most concise, fair, and correct. Thanks so much for putting into words what not many others have been able to do, even though what you stated is what I'm sure they meant. And while I agree with you that a cruisetour would not be something DH and I would ever consider, there are many others out there that find them appealing for various (and often very relevant) reasons. As long as they really KNOW what they're getting w/a cruisetour, KNOW the travel time involved, KNOW the Denali options involved, KNOW the cost involved, and are okay with all of that, who am I to judge? Again, thanx Mapleleaves for your perspective on things - appreciate it.

I will always say, three days are not enough. Most all this time will be in transit on a cruisetour. Add, the wait and fixed schedules involved.

As always, Budget Queen is correct.

Trying to do Denali on a 3-day schedule, either with a cruisetour or on your own, will mean spending most of the time in transit. If I were to have a week, then the long drive to Denali and back is OK, but the hit-and-run type of tourism is unsatisfactory to me. To me it is similar to flying to Paris or Rome for a day.

There are better ways to spend 3 days in Alaska; I'd spend 1 day in Achorage, and 2 days around Kenai Peninsula.

We have opted to DIY before a cruise leaving out of Seward. We feel we can see more of what we want in that time. We plan to arrive in Anchorage, rent a car and spend the night there. We will then drive to a hotel near Denali and stay either 3 or 4 nights to see Denali. We do plan to do the long bus trip into Denali one day and will plan what else to see. We will then drive to Seward and spend 2 nights pre-cruise there. In Seward, we plan to do a day cruise into the Kenai Fjords. Depending on time, we might also see the Sealife Center in Seward. We found that Hertz will rent cars in Anchorage that you can return in Seward. I am not sure it will save much money, but we can do things on our own and see the scenery and wildlife on our own time.

Mary Anne

Again, thanx Mapleleaves for your perspective on things - appreciate it.

Well, thank you AIP. It took awhile to write that response. I didn't want to sound anti-tour, but wanted to express why a tour wouldn't work for me. It's those little experiences that really make a vacation special for me.

Well, thank you AIP. It took awhile to write that response. I didn't want to sound anti-tour, but wanted to express why a tour wouldn't work for me. It's those little experiences that really make a vacation special for me.

Same here. Actually, I do not think that I would do a cruisetour even if it were free, or included in the price of the cruise. Cruisetours or shore excursions through the cruise line are not for me or my family.

Same here. Actually, I do not think that I would do a cruisetour even if it were free, or included in the price of the cruise. Cruisetours or shore excursions through the cruise line are not for me or my family.

Wow that is saying a lot. Generally cruisetours are not for me, but if it were free, I would have to seriously consider it.

If you haven't seen this post, you might find it helpful in making your decision. This post is from someone who was happy with their short cruise tour. They do work for some people.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35595283#post35595283

You need to determine which option works best for YOUR priorities. Don't put so much stock in what others say and do. Figure out what you want to see and do and the best way for YOU to do so. Enjoy your trip!

Well said, mapleleaves!!!

Travelot2 - as to you being crazy for considering a cruisetour to be the better option is strictly up to you. As for loosing your mind perhaps :D

Right now I am putting together a DIY land tour for the end of a northbound cruise that ports in Whittier. So far it has been a daunting task. I am trying to do it using the AKRR for all transportation. Right now I am spending the first day off the ship on a tour of Prince William Sound - the 26 Glacier Tour or one of the others. From there to Anchorage the train leaves in the late PM. The next day would be spent touring around Anchorage. The following day the train leaves for Denali at 8:00 AM and arrives around 3:00 PM (whole day shot ;)) Might try to look around that afternoon/evening. The following day take a tour of the park - the long all day one to the end of the road :). The next day - sleep in - do some more touring - train to Fairbanks leaves at 4:00 and arrives around 8:00. Next day tour Fairbanks following day fly home. This is a seven day/six night tour Between the RR and flights the transport portion sits at around 1500.00 I est hotels to be another 1200- 1400.00 Food around 800.00 and tours around 1500.00 - these are all estimates until I start actually choosing lodging and tours - there may also be a couple of rental cars in Anchorage and Fairbanks. So I estimate that I will spend upwards of 5000.00 for just the land portion so maybe I will have to fly to Anchorage and forget the cruise. :eek:

Now- I am also looking at other options - such as all car from Anchorage on - perhaps renting an RV. When I am all done I will compare my tour to the cruise tours - and other packages offered by the AKRR/Graylines/Alaskatours and of course the cruise lines. I have also considered flying from Anchorage to Fairbanks and doing the Denali tour as part of a southbound trip.

The biggest problem I see with the 3 day add ons is that you really won't have much time except to travel - it takes about 4hrs to travel from Whittier/Seward to Anchorage another 8 hrs to travel from Anchorage to Denali, the next day you will take one of three tours - the longest one takes all day - approx 12 hrs and then you spend another 8 hrs the third day getting back to Anchorage for you flight home.

We have opted to DIY before a cruise leaving out of Seward. We feel we can see more of what we want in that time. We plan to arrive in Anchorage, rent a car and spend the night there. We will then drive to a hotel near Denali and stay either 3 or 4 nights to see Denali. We do plan to do the long bus trip into Denali one day and will plan what else to see. We will then drive to Seward and spend 2 nights pre-cruise there. In Seward, we plan to do a day cruise into the Kenai Fjords. Depending on time, we might also see the Sealife Center in Seward. We found that Hertz will rent cars in Anchorage that you can return in Seward. I am not sure it will save much money, but we can do things on our own and see the scenery and wildlife on our own time.

Mary Anne

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I'm sure you'll enjoy every moment.

The Denali Chamber has a list of lodging choices if you need some ideas: http://www.alaskaone.com/_dcc/accommodations/

A couple of hints about a rental car .... rates change frequently and since Hertz is the only vendor in Seward, grab the best price you can find now, then check back weekly for a price drop. Even up to the day before you leave, keep checking.

If you find the drop off fee is too high (often $250) keep in mind that you don't NEED a car in Seward, so price a RT car rental for 5 days, and the train to Seward. May work out cheaper. Plus I've read that train segment is supposed to be the most scenic. Seward has provided a shuttle bus around town for the last few yrs, and a taxi in town is $5-$7. If you want to visit Exit Glacier there's a shuttle for $10pp. And there's a waterfront trail that leads from the harbor to downtown (SeaLife Center) which is about 1 1/2 miles. During the walk you can watch otters playing off shore, bald eagles, lots of fishing boats, and wonderful views across the bay to the mountains and glaciers. Hope this helps. Have a great trip !

If you ever see one for FREE, PLEASE send the info my way (eleanor.acinelli @ngc.com). I would love to be able to take another one to Alaska. Our first trip we did just the 7 night cruise Southbound. Our 2nd trip we did an 11 day cruisetour Northbound. The cruisetour was absolutely awesome.

When you know you only have 10 or 11 days to complete the trip, you are still going to be on the move from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm if you want to cover the 1800 miles we covered. Can't beat having a bus driver and tour guide for when things go awry (which they usually do at some point on the journey). There is no time to dawdle for long at any stop.

I would not have wanted to be on the stretch of highway from Eagle Alaska to Tok Alaska in a vehicle by myself. Even the coaches traveled two together. it is very remote and we counted 17 vehicles (I think) during the whole day. Breaking down on that kind of road wouldn't be my idea of a fun vacation at all.

But thankfully there are lots of choices, that we can all choose and travel the way it suits us best.

If you ever see one for FREE, PLEASE send the info my way (eleanor.acinelli @ngc.com). I would love to be able to take another one to Alaska. Our first trip we did just the 7 night cruise Southbound. Our 2nd trip we did an 11 day cruisetour Northbound. The cruisetour was absolutely awesome.

When you know you only have 10 or 11 days to complete the trip, you are still going to be on the move from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm if you want to cover the 1800 miles we covered. Can't beat having a bus driver and tour guide for when things go awry (which they usually do at some point on the journey). There is no time to dawdle for long at any stop.

I would not have wanted to be on the stretch of highway from Eagle Alaska to Tok Alaska in a vehicle by myself. Even the coaches traveled two together. it is very remote and we counted 17 vehicles (I think) during the whole day. Breaking down on that kind of road wouldn't be my idea of a fun vacation at all.

But thankfully there are lots of choices, that we can all choose and travel the way it suits us best.

I always enjoy reading your input about cruise tours. It gives a nice balance to the discussions. Cruise tours are not for everyone, but neither are DIY tours for everyone. I know plenty of people who would NEVER have taken the DIY vacations I have planned and enjoyed over the years. (Friends/family tell me this all the time) What some people can't seem to get is that not everyone enjoys driving themselves. We all prefer a different style of travel. These forums can help people look at different points of views and then decide what form of travel fits them best. It is just important that we all recognize there is not only one way to travel and have a great vacation. Yes, no matter what we do, DIY or a planned tour, doing our homework is important. In both cases you can have a great or lousy experience if you don't plan well.

Archived