Not new to Photography, but new to photographing on a cruise...

Hi...The cruise that I booked for my husband of 10 years will be next month. It will be our first experience in going for a cruise vacation, just to be different. This means I have some genre experience in shoots but this will be my first cruise where I will be bringing my camera (full frame, no grip).

I will certainly refuse to bring my unusually heavy bird/wildlife lens as I want to put more in my luggage (before and certainly after our cruise is over) as I am only a small lady (5' tall).

I have allocated zoom lenses for my need: a 12-24 mm; 24-135; and a 70- 300 mm and a fixed 105mm. I also want to bring my Benro travel angel tripod.

Any suggestion as to what I have forgotten in my soon-to-be-packing or what should I leave out?

I will appreciate any response/s I might receive.

Thanks.

Aussie Trekker.

Where does the cruise go? Some cruises I bring more, and some I find I don't need as much.

Our last cruise was to Bermuda and I bought a 18-55, a 55-300, and a 200-500 along with the tripod and monopod. The tripod was used twice the whole trip.:eek::confused:

I usually leave the tripod home, unless I have a certain objective, and take my monopod instead for ease of packing.

I think you have a very large range covered. I might leave the 105 home to lighten the load.

Good Luck

Leave the tripod at home. Almost useless on the ship & most land excursions.

Agree you do not need the fixed 105 lens. Adjust your camera speed or ISO to avoid camera shake, as the ship is always moving. Focus on the trip & points of interest, then take occasional photos to enhance your vacation. Also I carry a P&S camera as back up or for quick photos while dinning.I leave the DSLR in the cabin during late afternoon & evening events on the ship.

Sure you will have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Happy Travels, John

I agree with previous posts' suggestions. I too have hauled my tripod and never used it, bought a gorillapod, also never used that. Now I just up the ISO.

I do always bring a waterproof camera, like the Olympus TG4 (the latest model, I have the TG2). I never have to worry about it at the beach, you can snorkel with it, it's a great rainy back-up, and it actually takes good food pictures at dinner on one of the scene modes.

Where does the cruise go? Some cruises I bring more, and some I find I don't need as much.

I had arranged for Half Moon Cay/Amber Cove and Grand Turk/Caicos

Our last cruise was to Bermuda and I bought a 18-55, a 55-300, and a 200-500 along with the tripod and monopod. The tripod was used twice the whole trip.:eek::confused:

I usually leave the tripod home, unless I have a certain objective, and take my monopod instead for ease of packing.

I think you have a very large range covered. I might leave the 105 home to lighten the load.

Good Luck

Thanks for your advice and tip. My tripod is convertible to be a monopod too so I want to bring it on this cruise, something like if I don't use it for a tripod, I can disassemble it to just use the monopod as my "walking stick" when I go down port. Then I can have both if I want to. Is this wise? I do not use a walking stick, per se, but it is a good excuse.

Leave the tripod at home. Almost useless on the ship & most land excursions.

Agree you do not need the fixed 105 lens. Adjust your camera speed or ISO to avoid camera shake, as the ship is always moving. Focus on the trip & points of interest, then take occasional photos to enhance your vacation. Also I carry a P&S camera as back up or for quick photos while dinning.I leave the DSLR in the cabin during late afternoon & evening events on the ship.

Sure you will have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Happy Travels, John

'Appreciate your tip, John...I also plan to take my P&S although I am not keen on it. Whenever I use my P&S and submit my photos for C&C in my photography group, I sometimes get a digital slap at the back of my head for not using my yuuuuge! DSLR. :o :D

Hi...The cruise that I booked for my husband of 10 years will be next month. It will be our first experience in going for a cruise vacation, just to be different. This means I have some genre experience in shoots but this will be my first cruise where I will be bringing my camera (full frame, no grip).

I will certainly refuse to bring my unusually heavy bird/wildlife lens as I want to put more in my luggage (before and certainly after our cruise is over) as I am only a small lady (5' tall).

I have allocated zoom lenses for my need: a 12-24 mm; 24-135; and a 70- 300 mm and a fixed 105mm. I also want to bring my Benro travel angel tripod.

Any suggestion as to what I have forgotten in my soon-to-be-packing or what should I leave out?

I will appreciate any response/s I might receive.

Thanks.

Aussie Trekker.

Flash and a good old nifty 50.

I agree with previous posts' suggestions. I too have hauled my tripod and never used it, bought a gorillapod, also never used that. Now I just up the ISO.

I do always bring a waterproof camera, like the Olympus TG4 (the latest model, I have the TG2). I never have to worry about it at the beach, you can snorkel with it, it's a great rainy back-up, and it actually takes good food pictures at dinner on one of the scene modes.

I am not really a beach kind of person. Don't misunderstand me. I like the beach but not to sunbake or anything. I still have my house in front of Port Philip Bay in Oz. And I was almost born on the beach. Or maybe not, but my parents' backyard was the Pacific Ocean or something like that...I am so used to seeing the beach and the ocean almost all of my life...if you know what I mean. I truly appreciate living inland. A different kind of change.

Anyway...maybe I can use my tripod when we go out to port? then just handhold while on the ship? What kind of speed are we talking about to get a decent shot? -- 1/2000 + ? ...Or how high an ISO can I go up during normal daylight hours in the ship? At night, also what speed and ISO are we talking about?

Too many questions, I am sorry but I really need answers...

Thanks again...

I am not really a beach kind of person. Don't misunderstand me. I like the beach but not to sunbake or anything. I still have my house in front of Port Philip Bay in Oz. And I was almost born on the beach. Or maybe not, but my parents' backyard was the Pacific Ocean or something like that...I am so used to seeing the beach and the ocean almost all of my life...if you know what I mean. I truly appreciate living inland. A different kind of change.

Anyway...maybe I can use my tripod when we go out to port? then just handhold while on the ship? What kind of speed are we talking about to get a decent shot? -- 1/2000 + ? ...Or how high an ISO can I go up during normal daylight hours in the ship? At night, also what speed and ISO are we talking about?

Too many questions, I am sorry but I really need answers...

Thanks again...

The shutter speed really is a function of the motion or vibration of the ship when onboard. I have had no problem with pictures onboard 1/2 hour before sunrise.

Keep in mind, that while onboard using a tripod, the vibration from the engines can cause camera shake on its own. With cameras today, I don't worry about pushing the ISO like I used to, thanks to the advice of many on here.

Ken

Another vote for a small flash. Leave the tripod at home, it is cumbersome and takes up space you need for other stuff. My bag for our upcoming Spain/Portugal trip will have a 5D MkIII, 16-35mm, 24-105mm (great walk around lens) and 70-200mm just in case and a 580EX II flash. Oh, chargers, extra battery and extra SD/CF cards. For Alaska I added the grip to get more FPS on our whale watch and a 1.4 TC for wildlife but no need for those on this trip

Another vote for a small flash. Leave the tripod at home, it is cumbersome and takes up space you need for other stuff. My bag for our upcoming Spain/Portugal trip will have a 5D MkIII, 16-35mm, 24-105mm (great walk around lens) and 70-200mm just in case and a 580EX II flash. Oh, chargers, extra battery and extra SD/CF cards. For Alaska I added the grip to get more FPS on our whale watch and a 1.4 TC for wildlife but no need for those on this trip

I am a Nikon user and bring my D810 everywhere using my Pacsafe accessories to keep it safe but I think my grip has to stay home. Too big for my little hands. Thanks for the reminders. I have seen this message and have packed the extras.

The shutter speed really is a function of the motion or vibration of the ship when onboard. I have had no problem with pictures onboard 1/2 hour before sunrise.

Keep in mind, that while onboard using a tripod, the vibration from the engines can cause camera shake on its own. With cameras today, I don't worry about pushing the ISO like I used to, thanks to the advice of many on here.

Ken

Ken, how long do you wait before you can use your camera to take pictures? Do you have to wait for a while or is the ship's motion the same throughout when it leaves port and is out to sea? As for ISO on daytime I follow the F16 rule more or less though not always and it is not always the F8 and be be there sort of thing...as the saying goes...

'Hope to take some movies too. I just bought a new motorized time lapse pan head and been practicing on using it in preparation for this trip...

Thanks for the continued tips..

Aussie Trekker

Nikon/Canon 5D III/D810 are pretty similar and I believe Nikon makes the same lenses give or take a millimeter. I used Nikon for my first 25 years and then switched when my F3s wore out and the F4 was a dud of a camera... Right now, today it is more a matter of what we are comfortable with, both are making some pretty great gear.

Nikon/Canon 5D III/D810 are pretty similar and I believe Nikon makes the same lenses give or take a millimeter. I used Nikon for my first 25 years and then switched when my F3s wore out and the F4 was a dud of a camera... Right now, today it is more a matter of what we are comfortable with, both are making some pretty great gear.

I heard recently that Nikon service is very bad and some even refuse to service your camera if you keep having disasters within months of their repairs. I am thinking of buying a Canon system, FF of course, as I had heard how good Canon service is. I have been a Nikon user ever since film days and wouldn't imagine I will be thinking like I'd go via Canon next time but I am seriously contemplating on it.

In all my decades of using Nikon I have never have to send my camera to a Nikon repair store but a few weeks ago I was doing some focus stacking using my live view when my mirror went belly up. I didn't have time to waste asking my photo group's help as hubby and I am going on a trip (flying) so I ended up using my crop camera while awaiting for my Nikon. weeks and $250 later, I got my camera back...now I am a happy camper but this incident made me think...crash and burn? who knows? but I will make sure I have a new Canon FF for Christmas even if nobody gets a Chrissie gift from me at that time of year. I will be selfish. :D

I heard recently that Nikon service is very bad and some even refuse to service your camera if you keep having disasters within months of their repairs. I am thinking of buying a Canon system, FF of course, as I had heard how good Canon service is. I have been a Nikon user ever since film days and wouldn't imagine I will be thinking like I'd go via Canon next time but I am seriously contemplating on it.

In all my decades of using Nikon I have never have to send my camera to a Nikon repair store but a few weeks ago I was doing some focus stacking using my live view when my mirror went belly up. I didn't have time to waste asking my photo group's help as hubby and I am going on a trip (flying) so I ended up using my crop camera while awaiting for my Nikon. weeks and $250 later, I got my camera back...now I am a happy camper but this incident made me think...crash and burn? who knows? but I will make sure I have a new Canon FF for Christmas even if nobody gets a Chrissie gift from me at that time of year. I will be selfish. :D

If you are going to switch systems, you may want to consider the full-frame Sony A7 series. The A7rII is the only camera listed above the D810 on DxOMark's sensor rating. The short flange-to-sensor distance would also allow you to use your Nikon lenses with autofocus on a Commlite adapter. The list of available native lenses has good coverage of all the"pro" ranges and the new G-Master series offer some best-in class options.

Sadly, your photo group may ostracize you for straying from the path. ;)

I personally went with APS-C for travel. the A6XXX cameras have served me very well and the size makes travelling with a couple of bodies and an assortment of lenses incidental rather than onerous.

Another 2¢ spent... :)

Dave

It is hard to compare my experience with Nikon/Canon repairs because I only used Nikon in my film days, from 1968 to 1986 when I left for Canon and better technology. Canon spoiled me with service because I live 15 minutes from their Jamesburg NJ service center and I can walk in and say " It needs cleaning" or " it is acting weird" or "I dropped it" and have it back in a few days. Being part of the professional program helps but I was also a NPS member before I switched. Bottom line for me now is they are both very very good but I am invested in Canon glass and my hands know their bodies. When I retired last year I did was pierces suggests and looked at the Sony gear and it was lighter but my hands and my mind could not adapt to it so I stuck with what I knew.

When I retired last year I did was pierces suggests and looked at the Sony gear and it was lighter but my hands and my mind could not adapt to it so I stuck with what I knew.

Funny you mention this today. I used to shake my head when I would read how "un-intuitive" Sony menus were in the maistream publication reviews. I never had an issue with them and once buttons were customized, all was as it should be for me (the exception was the original NEX menu format which has since passed on to hell where it belongs). Over the weekend, A relative wanted help with her Canon 6d and I felt like I was reading ancient Minoan looking for menu items and playing Tomb Raider with all the fiddly buttons. I came into the digital world via Minolta and then Sony and their menus make sense through familiarity. I'm sure my Sony>Canon experience was similar to your attempted Canon >Sony move with the logic being just enough different to trick your mind into thinking it knows where it's going only to run into a dead end.

It will be so much easier when they can just replace an eye and pre-load the brain with the menu. :)

I wonder if you get a red iris if it's an "L" eye?

Dave

Edited by pierces

If you are going to switch systems, you may want to consider the full-frame Sony A7 series. The A7rII is the only camera listed above the D810 on DxOMark's sensor rating. The short flange-to-sensor distance would also allow you to use your Nikon lenses with autofocus on a Commlite adapter. The list of available native lenses has good coverage of all the"pro" ranges and the new G-Master series offer some best-in class options.

Sadly, your photo group may ostracize you for straying from the path. ;)

I personally went with APS-C for travel. the A6XXX cameras have served me very well and the size makes travelling with a couple of bodies and an assortment of lenses incidental rather than onerous.

Another 2¢ spent... :)

Dave

I do not intend to switch systems. I intend to keep both. I can always buy an adapter or purchase new Canon lenses. I am only old once though I had retired twice. I think I deserve this. Hubby doesn't mind -- I am not spending his money. He spend his for his hobby and I spend mine in mine.

No, my photo group will not ostracize me for my choices. It was just that this year I bought my UWA lens and my mentors there wanted me to practice more on it until I learn how to look at my mistakes. I am involved in mentoring and teaching others too to give back what they taught me. So far I have 5 students around the world teaching them via Skype on a need to need basis. This is my first cruise so I intend to learn and experiment, what is good and what is not, what is acceptable and what is not. I can pass on this knowledge to my group and my students.

My group uses anything that they have. There is no limitation. It is not the camera, it is the result that matters. It is the person operating the camera. Sony is a good one, I believe, but it is not for me...yet. And I used to have a 4/3rd system once, an Olympus. That was great too but I switched back to Nikon after two tries. My Olympus ended up with a dog rescue group in San Diego to help their cause. Owner/operator of the Maltese Rescue Organization is an ex-Navy photographer and his wife was a former nurse. He is a member also of our photography group too.

Thank you for your recommendation. I really appreciate it very much.

It is hard to compare my experience with Nikon/Canon repairs because I only used Nikon in my film days, from 1968 to 1986 when I left for Canon and better technology. Canon spoiled me with service because I live 15 minutes from their Jamesburg NJ service center and I can walk in and say " It needs cleaning" or " it is acting weird" or "I dropped it" and have it back in a few days. Being part of the professional program helps but I was also a NPS member before I switched. Bottom line for me now is they are both very very good but I am invested in Canon glass and my hands know their bodies. When I retired last year I did was pierces suggests and looked at the Sony gear and it was lighter but my hands and my mind could not adapt to it so I stuck with what I knew.

Same sentiments here for the Nikon. But with the Nikon lenses, I decided this time around to have only a few of the original glass as I did with my DX. Touch wood, I am lucky so far with my choices.

Funny you mention this today. I used to shake my head when I would read how "un-intuitive" Sony menus were in the maistream publication reviews. I never had an issue with them and once buttons were customized, all was as it should be for me (the exception was the original NEX menu format which has since passed on to hell where it belongs). Over the weekend, A relative wanted help with her Canon 6d and I felt like I was reading ancient Minoan looking for menu items and playing Tomb Raider with all the fiddly buttons. I came into the digital world via Minolta and then Sony and their menus make sense through familiarity. I'm sure my Sony>Canon experience was similar to your attempted Canon >Sony move with the logic being just enough different to trick your mind into thinking it knows where it's going only to run into a dead end.

It will be so much easier when they can just replace an eye and pre-load the brain with the menu. :)

I wonder if you get a red iris if it's an "L" eye?

Dave

Your funny story reminded me of my DIL whom I was talking at Skype two Saturdays ago. I gave her one of my D300s because I thought she was really interested in photography. Hubby and I stayed two weeks with them last February. She gave me 30 minutes to teach her the camera. I have never been sorry in all my life. I had been miserable then before we left because I was disappointed in her. Mind you, she is a lovely girl, doesn't have a mean bone in her body...

Anyway to cut a long story short, she Skyped us so we can talk to them. She related this story of when she and my granddaughter went to her friend's house and she complained of her pictures being not sharp at all. The husband of her friend who is a Canon user tried to help her, but he is a Canon user. It took him two and a half hours to go through the menu system and find out why...I can just imagine how nice the guy was and not tell her it is her fault -- she doesn't know how to use a proper camera. Or perhaps because I configured that DX to use the same menu as close as I can to my D810. I will leave that excuse to my imagination.:D

I own a Nikon D300S. Yes, it can be complicated BUT. It is the easiest camera to make on the fly adjustments without going into a menu. Read an easy book, and you are going to take great photographs, not just snapshots. Jerry

I seldom do snapshots, Jerry, if you are answering my post. Though I am a published photographer, like others, I cannot be an expert on every genre and this is my first cruise. I am now aware that this kind of photography is very different from other genres like tabletop, product, street, food photography, etc. -- all done on land not on a constantly moving seas. I admire those that can do it.

My very simple camera is a Nikon point and shoot -- my husband point and I shoot. :D ...j/k...:) I used to have two D300s because I love that camera to bits and at the time it came out, I wasn't ready for a full frame camera. Last February on my last visit back home to Oz, I gave one to my DIL because I already have a D810 for my main body bought two Christmases ago. The point and shoot we got from our rewards program through our visa card last Christmas.

I always learn my camera from top to bottom before I take a proper shot with it good enough to share with my photo group for them to comment and critique. I learn from that interaction with them. I even took a course on my D810 at Creative Live, learned more about it. The D300s serves as my second body during my photoshoots.

I pack photo gear not only according to the cruise itself, but also to the ports and time of day you are in ports.

If I take the "basic" Caribbean cruise out of Florida, I always bring along UV Haze filter as well as ND filter. I often find a haze in the Caribbean and enjoy taking photos of "smooth" water and waterfalls.

As to tripod, if I am in an interesting city before or after the cruise or stay in port after dark, I always bring along a travel tripod.

With my Sony a6000 I can easily have it all in a handy and secure Packsafe shoulder bag.