Upcoming Strikes

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:01 PM.
214 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Glad for the discussion. Any reliable way to check on upcoming strikes in France? We'll have internet but not phone. Good luck to all and read the fine print on tickets and insurance. Not all cover strikes.
SC
331 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by TravelerThom
I don't understand all this concern over mere strikes (okay I got caught up in a Lufthansa rolling work stoppage 11 Nov, and hence would have missed my connection in FRA to South Africa, but after hours on the phone was able to re-route through Sao Paulo - Europe, South America, whatever; it got us to Africa on-time).

Lyn & I did the Devil's Nose train in Ecuador a few years ago, and purchasing a ticket requires ALL of your passport info. I somehow "forgot" to tell Lyn this information was required for the INCLUDED Life Insurance. The train sopped twice to clear rocks from the tracks, and three time to shovel mud off the tracks, but I'm happy to report that neither we nor anyone else collected on the Life Insurance. It was an "interesting" ride.

Thom
Thom

Now that sounds like a interesting ride for sure. Sounds like something out of a movie! Glad y'all didn't have to collect on the life insurance!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Shannon

April 2018-NCL Epic-Senior trip with friends

Past Cruises:
*December 2016-Disney Wonder-Western Caribbean
*July 2016-RCCL Oasis of the Seas
*June 2016-Seaborun Odyssey-Mediterranean Cruise (Venice, Italy-Athens, Greece)
*June 2016-Emerald Sun-Danube Delights-First River Cruise (Budapest-Nuremberg)
*March 2016: NCL Getaway-2016 Spring Break last minute cruise thanks to Empress of the Seas cancellation.(Western Caribbean)
*December 2015: NCL Sky-Orange Bowl Bound Cruise (Bahamas)
*April 2015: NCL Getaway-2015 Spring Break Cruise (Eastern Caribbean)
*Feb. 2015: RCCL Adventure of the Seas-20th anniversary cruise (Southern Caribbean)
*June 2014: NCL Epic-Mediterranean Cruise (Barcelona-Barcelona)
*June 2013: NCL Sun (Alaska Cruise)
*March 2013: NCL Pearl- 2013 Spring Break (Western Caribbean)
*Oct 2011: Carvinal Fascination-(Bahamas)
VA, MD & FL
6,068 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by ShannonSC2
Now that sounds like a interesting ride for sure. Sounds like something out of a movie! Glad y'all didn't have to collect on the life insurance!
We had seats in the second row, behind a Japanese film crew, producing a Japanese "Great Train Rides of the World" series show. My Japanese is pretty limited, but at the third stop to clear the tracks, I caught the eye of one of the camera men and said "Shenkansen" (literally "new trunk line", the word for Bullet trains). He looked shocked and then laughed. I don't consider myself a real rail buff, but somehow over the years I've done the night sleeper from Nairobi to Mombasa, the no-longer-running train in Costa Rica that made 52 stops in the 100 miles from Puerto Limon to San Jose, the no-longer-running train (actually a 1938 Ford bus with rail wheels) from Bolivia to the coast at Arica Chile (half of the 11 hour ride was above 14,00 feet), the Blue Train in the Congo (not to be confused with the Blue Train in South Africa) that habitually runs hours if not days late, the southern most train in the world to an old Argentine penal colony on Tierra del Fuego, etc. Lots of stuff the see in the world.

Thom
Long Island, New York
4,359 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by TravelerThom
We had seats in the second row, behind a Japanese film crew, producing a Japanese "Great Train Rides of the World" series show. My Japanese is pretty limited, but at the third stop to clear the tracks, I caught the eye of one of the camera men and said "Shenkansen" (literally "new trunk line", the word for Bullet trains). He looked shocked and then laughed. I don't consider myself a real rail buff, but somehow over the years I've done the night sleeper from Nairobi to Mombasa, the no-longer-running train in Costa Rica that made 52 stops in the 100 miles from Puerto Limon to San Jose, the no-longer-running train (actually a 1938 Ford bus with rail wheels) from Bolivia to the coast at Arica Chile (half of the 11 hour ride was above 14,00 feet), the Blue Train in the Congo (not to be confused with the Blue Train in South Africa) that habitually runs hours if not days late, the southern most train in the world to an old Argentine penal colony on Tierra del Fuego, etc. Lots of stuff the see in the world.

Thom
WOW!!!! I would not have survived any of those train rides
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Greek Islands and Turkey, Louis Perla, October, 2006
Castles on Rhine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2008
Egypt and Jordan, Vantage, Jan/Feb. 2009
Holland and Belgium, Vantage, April/May 2010
Alaska, HAL Statendam, June, 2011
Costa Rica, Star Flyer,Vantage, Feb. 2011
Russia and Ukraine, Vantage, Aug/Sept. 2012
Panama Canal, Celebrity Infinity, April/May 2013
Columbia & Snake Rivers, ACL , June, 2013
Gateway to the Black Sea, Vantage, June/July 2014
Trans Canada Rail Odyssey ,Vantage, June 2015
Switzerland Rhine & Mozelle, Vantage, August 2015
Southern Caribbean, Celebrity Eclipse, March 2016
Canada-New England, Celebrity Summit, Oct 2016
Caribbean, RCI Grandeur of the Seas, Jan, 2017

Other:
England
Bermuda
Italy
France
Monaco
Greece
Turkey
Iceland

Not yet Sailed:
Scandinavia-Russia, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017
Norway Fjords, Celebrity Eclipse, Aug, 2017
South America & Antarctica, Infinity, Feb. 2018
British Isles, Celebrity, August, 2018
214 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by CPT Trips
And demonstrations too. Short notice is better than none.

http://france.usembassy.gov/mobile//service.html
Thanks, CPT Trips. That's a very helpful site and I'll note it before we leave, too. I can check with wi-fi along the way. It hadn't occurred to me that they would have up to date info. My bad. We keep learning.