Tampa early

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Florida Departures

Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami & Port Canaveral & Tampa
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:50 PM.
KY
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
It's been 10 years since we have cruised. On a 5 day aboard the Paradise soon.

We have a early morning flight arriving in Tampa at 7:30 the day of our cruise. What can we do so early in Tampa with no car toting suitcases? Planning to Uber from airport to publix near the port for soft drinks. How soon can we get IN the port? Traveling in a suite so we have VIP check in.

Any thoughts are appreciated
NCC-1701
3,121 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
We open the doors to Terminal-3 around 9:15, Check-In at 9:30, and boarding generally starts around 11:30ish.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Captain Carnival

CRUISE REVIEWS THAT YOU CAN USE!!

Carnival Legend: May, 2013 MEDITERRANEAN REVIEW --->Sea Trek I: Where No Man & Bride Have Gone Before

Carnival Miracle: September, 2014 ALASKA REVIEW --->Sea Trek II: The Wrath of Alaska

Carnival Vista: May, 2016 INAUGURAL VOYAGE ---> Sea Trek III: The Search For Pasta

Find Me At YOUR Captains Club FB Group
Tampa area
14,949 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
There are some nice stores in the airport, one is a great book store.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1964 Queen Elizabeth
1966 SS Florida
1980 Tropical
1982 Mardi Gras
1985 Jubilee
1998 Holiday
2002 Pride
2003 Grand Princess
2004 Mariner of the Seas
2006 Miracle Aug. 20
2008 Inspiration
Dec. '08 Glory
Aug. 2009 Inspiration
Feb. '10 Inspiration
2010 Legend
Sept. '10 Inspiration
2010 Inspiration
Sept. '11 Legend
November '11 Inspiration
Sept. '12 Legend
November '12 Legend
March '13 Legend
June '13 Miracle Alaska!
October '13 Legend Halloween Cruise
January '14 Paradise
April '14 Legend
Nov. 16, 2014 Pride
March 1, 2015 Pride
August 31, 2015 Paradise
November 28, 2015 Westerdam
April 2016 Sunshine
September 3, 2016 Paradise
October 22, 2016 Magic
November 18, 2016 Oosterdam
January 15, 2017 Pride
April 1, 2017 Magic

Paradise September 11, 2017
Paradise September 16, 2017
November 11, 2017 Magic

April 29, 2018 Magic

UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL DR RUTH FOR WHALE TAIL and UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL GUARANTEED PRICE DROPS DROPPER

185 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by mcftlf
It's been 10 years since we have cruised. On a 5 day aboard the Paradise soon.

We have a early morning flight arriving in Tampa at 7:30 the day of our cruise. What can we do so early in Tampa with no car toting suitcases? Planning to Uber from airport to publix near the port for soft drinks. How soon can we get IN the port? Traveling in a suite so we have VIP check in.

Any thoughts are appreciated
Thanks for this question! I'm sailing on the Paradise on 4/15 ... any chance that's your date? I arrive around 9 a.m. that morning and was planning on a cab to the port but was told to try Uber. I've never done Uber so I'm a little hesitant.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2017 ~ Carnival Paradise ~ 5 days, Cayman & Cozumel, 5th Solo Cruise!!
2016 ~ Carnival Sensation ~ 6 days, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay & Nassau, 4th Solo Cruise!!
2015 ~ Carnival Ecstasy ~ 4 days, KW & Cozumel, 3rd Solo Cruise!
2014 ~ Carnival Valor ~ 7 days, Southern Caribbean, 2nd Solo Cruise!!
2011 ~ Carnival Imagination ~ 4 days, KW & Cozumel
2009 ~ Carnival Fantasy ~ 4 days, Western
2009 ~ Carnival Imagination ~ 4 days, 1st Solo Cruise!!!
2008 ~ Carnival Legend ~ 7 days, Exoctic Western
2006 ~ Carnival Triumph ~ 7 days, Western
2005 ~ Carnival Elation ~ 4 days, Cozumel
2004 ~ Carnival Imagination ~ 4 days, Western
2003 ~ Carnival Triumph ~ 7 days, Eastern
2002 ~ Carnival Paradise ~ 7 days, Western
1997 ~ Carnival Imagination ~ 7 days, Western
1994 ~ Carnival Sensation ~ 7 days, Eastern
Tampa, FL
302 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
The port is in Channelside which is basically downtown. You could get coffee somewhere down there (Starbucks, Ginger Beard, and Victory Coffee come to mind) or take the streetcar that runs through there to Ybor (the historic district). There are a lot of Cuban coffee/cigar places down there. You could also take a walk on the Riverwalk which is near the port, but you might want to give your bags to a porter first if possible.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Triumph - April 2006
Carnival Victory - March 2014
Carnival Victory - March 2015
Carnival Sunshine - April 2016
Carnival Liberty - April 2017
185 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Originally posted by hotsauce126
The port is in Channelside which is basically downtown. You could get coffee somewhere down there (Starbucks, Ginger Beard, and Victory Coffee come to mind) or take the streetcar that runs through there to Ybor (the historic district). There are a lot of Cuban coffee/cigar places down there. You could also take a walk on the Riverwalk which is near the port, but you might want to give your bags to a porter first if possible.
I went to Ybor in January ... what a cute town!!! If you go there, hit Tampa Brewing Company ... yum!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2017 ~ Carnival Paradise ~ 5 days, Cayman & Cozumel, 5th Solo Cruise!!
2016 ~ Carnival Sensation ~ 6 days, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay & Nassau, 4th Solo Cruise!!
2015 ~ Carnival Ecstasy ~ 4 days, KW & Cozumel, 3rd Solo Cruise!
2014 ~ Carnival Valor ~ 7 days, Southern Caribbean, 2nd Solo Cruise!!
2011 ~ Carnival Imagination ~ 4 days, KW & Cozumel
2009 ~ Carnival Fantasy ~ 4 days, Western
2009 ~ Carnival Imagination ~ 4 days, 1st Solo Cruise!!!
2008 ~ Carnival Legend ~ 7 days, Exoctic Western
2006 ~ Carnival Triumph ~ 7 days, Western
2005 ~ Carnival Elation ~ 4 days, Cozumel
2004 ~ Carnival Imagination ~ 4 days, Western
2003 ~ Carnival Triumph ~ 7 days, Eastern
2002 ~ Carnival Paradise ~ 7 days, Western
1997 ~ Carnival Imagination ~ 7 days, Western
1994 ~ Carnival Sensation ~ 7 days, Eastern
KY
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by Captain Carnival
We open the doors to Terminal-3 around 9:15, Check-In at 9:30, and boarding generally starts around 11:30ish.
Thanks! Exactly what I was needing.
KY
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by crusinpsychRN
There are some nice stores in the airport, one is a great book store.

Thank you. We were talking about eating at the airport before using UBER
KY
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by ethel813
Thanks for this question! I'm sailing on the Paradise on 4/15 ... any chance that's your date? I arrive around 9 a.m. that morning and was planning on a cab to the port but was told to try Uber. I've never done Uber so I'm a little hesitant.
We are actually sailing this weekend. As far as Uber...I was a little concerned also but- after using it multiple times in San Diego last year...I'm hooked.
Canada
194 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
As mentioned above, the Tampa Cruise Port is located very near the city center. There is a lovely pedestrian walkway that runs along the waterfront just west of the cruise port. Once you've checked in your bags at the cruise terminal, you could enjoy a walk to the Tampa Convention Centre and beyond (depending on how much time you have available).

http://cruiseports.ca/america/tampa.html
KY
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by hotsauce126

Thank you. That helps! The porters start working about the same time the terminal opens?
KY
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by ethel813
I went to Ybor in January ... what a cute town!!! If you go there, hit Tampa Brewing Company ... yum!!

Late flight out on the way home so, we are renting a car and heading to Ybor city. Got to have a 1905 salad since we are so close!
KY
10 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Originally posted by Grant2000
As mentioned above, the Tampa Cruise Port is located very near the city center. There is a lovely pedestrian walkway that runs along the waterfront just west of the cruise port. Once you've checked in your bags at the cruise terminal, you could enjoy a walk to the Tampa Convention Centre and beyond (depending on how much time you have available).

http://cruiseports.ca/america/tampa.html
Thanks for the info and the link!
Florida
497 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Ybor is nice. There is a Miller's Ale house, Cheesecake Factory, and La Terrisita(sp?) not far from the airport. As far as Uber or Left both are safe and there are many drivers parked in the cell phone parking lot. Also, ride share is now legal in Tampa.