Sail and Sign Card

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 6,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:23 AM.
Rhode Island
3 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Hello Everyone,
This site has been incredible with so much information about cruising. As a "Newbie" who has never cruised before a lot of my questions have been answered by viewing the different boards. However, I haven't found much information on Carnivals Sail and Sign on board account.

My understanding is that every cruise ship passenger gets a card to use on board. If I sign up for the on board account and use a charge card like a Mastercard or Visa, when and how do I pay for what I have purchased on board? Any information is very much appreciated!
Central Illinois
99,298 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Dawnn.Marie
Hello Everyone,
This site has been incredible with so much information about cruising. As a "Newbie" who has never cruised before a lot of my questions have been answered by viewing the different boards. However, I haven't found much information on Carnivals Sail and Sign on board account.

My understanding is that every cruise ship passenger gets a card to use on board. If I sign up for the on board account and use a charge card like a Mastercard or Visa, when and how do I pay for what I have purchased on board? Any information is very much appreciated!
You use your ship card while on the ship and all purchases accumulate in your onboard account. At the end of the cruise, the ship charges your credit card for any outstanding amount in your onboard account.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Central Ohio
1,640 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by Dawnn.Marie
Hello Everyone,

Your S&S card works just like charging items to your room in a hotel. You present the card for every purchase, and the charges accumulate on your folio. They will put a hold on your charge card at the beginning of the cruise, but the actual charges will be automatically processed to your card at the end (in one lump sum).

There is no other way to purchase anything on board, Carnival has a completely cashless system. All charges are made using the S&S card.

If you question is regarding using cash to pay for what you have charged on board, you can apply cash to your account at any point during the cruise (or even at check-in), in addition to your credit card. OBC and cash will be used before they apply any charges to your credit card.

Have fun!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2016 - Carnival Sunshine (CA/NE)
2015 - Carnival Paradise
2014 - Carnival Elation
2012 - Carnival Sensation
Romsey England
10,854 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
As others have posted, you use it as a charge card for all your purchases on-board, including ship's shore excursions, drinks, speciality dining, ship's shop purchases. You show your card & sign a receipt for everything, the server gives you a copy.
You get a statement at the end of the cruise (plus intermediate statements on a long cruise, and you can ask for a current printout at any time). Check the statement against your receipts to make sure there's been no mistakes - rare, but it happens. The statement will also credit any on-board credit you've received and debit the daily tips/service charge.
Each person gets their own sail-and-sign card, each person gets their own statement of their spend.
You will have registered a card when you board (there's a cash alternative, more detail if you ask), and that card will be charged with all of your party's purchases at the end of the cruise ....................
except..................... if you prefer, when on-board you can register another card or cards, and ask for the cards to be charged pretty-well any way you like. Your purchases on your card & your partner's on theirs, or the total spend split equally between the cards, or pay in some cash to reduce the total due, etc.

Do bear in mind that the ship will place a daily "hold" on funds in your debit/credit card, to protect them against unpaid charges if the card reaches its credit limit before cruise-end. It takes anything up to a couple of weeks after the cruise & after your card has been charged before those holds are released. This is important with a debit card if you run a low bank balance or with a credit card if it's fairly close to maxing-out.
Same applies with car rentals, many hotels & other outlets, in case of add-on charges that come to light after you've returned the car / checked-out of the hotel. The funds are only "held" (reserved), not withdrawn, so these holds don't appear on your card statements.

Your sign-and-sail card is also your boarding card, you need it with you when you go ashore. It's scanned when you leave the ship & again when you return, so they know whether you're on the ship or not.

It also doubles as your cabin key (other than on particularly old ships).

It has magnetic strip like other charge cards. Don't keep it close to your camera, phone etc.
But if it does fail, you can get a replacement from guest services.

JB
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)
Cincinnati
1,702 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
When you check in for the cruise you will have to set up an onboard account. You must set up an onboard account; not optional; it is the ONLY way to pay for anything on the ship, they won't take cash or credit cards. You can set it up with cash or a credit card. A hold will be put on your card of a few hundred.
They will also take your photo.

They will then give you your sign and sail card. This is your room hey, your id to get on and off the ship, and your payment method for all onboard charges. You can check the balance of your on board account as you go.

If you set your account up with cash, once you spend the cash your charging privileges will be shut off until you give them more cash. If you used a credit card then they will just keep upping the hold on the card as your balance goes up. If you don't want the full balance charges to your credit card you can also pay the balance down will cash during the cruise.

At the end of the cruise they will give you a final statement and charge your final balance to your credit card. My primary issue with doing a cash account is that I've heard stories of people balancing out their cash account on the last night; then on disembarkation day, someone putting an additional charge on the account (mini bar item, towel not returned fee, etc); and then they are held up from getting off the ship until they produce the cash to pay the fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Chicago
9,154 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by samantha1904
Does anyone know how much NCL will hold on your card?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Between $100- $300 this is why it is NEVER a good idea to use a debit card.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Sounds of the wind or sounds of the sea make me happy just to be. ~June Polis

Dude, don't you understand the first rule of holes? When you find yourself in a hole stop digging. Take it from a fellow Gopher.
~Planer's Edge

A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly.
~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:
M.V. Hobart Star 1974 (Blue Star Line)
T.S.S. Festivale 1993 (Carnival Cruise Line)
S.S. Norway 2003 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Queen Mary2 2006 (Cunard Line)
Carnival Imagination 2009 (Carnival Cruise Line)
M.V. Norwegian Sun 2010 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Destiny 2011 (Carnival Cruise Line)
Norwegian EPIC 2013 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Breeze 2014 (Carnival Cruise Line)

Tennessee
5 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
Question, what name do they put on the card? My hubby goes by his middle name rather than his first name, and while he'll live if it has his first name, I know he'd rather have his middle name on the card

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
southern NM desert
10,671 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by TNAndersons
Question, what name do they put on the card? My hubby goes by his middle name rather than his first name, and while he'll live if it has his first name, I know he'd rather have his middle name on the card. Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app
The name on your boarding document.
Whatever name he used in booking the cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NM Lady (Mary Kay) & my Joe
NCL PLatinum. [3 points away from Platinum-Plus. ]

HAL 2- Star Mariner

Recent cruises:
NCL Jade - Oct/Nov 2016; Transatlantic
NCL Jade - April/May 2016; Western Caribbean, Transatlantic
NCL Jewel - April 2015.: CAS Western Caribbean

1999-2014: 19 cruises
8 NCL, 2 HAL, 2 RCI, 2 Carnival, 2 Celebrity, 2 Oceania,
and 1 Radisson now Regent, around Italy (a sweepstakes prize!)
Chicago
9,154 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by NMLady
The name on your boarding document.
Whatever name he used in booking the cruise.
Which needs to match exactly the name on his Identification that he is using.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Sounds of the wind or sounds of the sea make me happy just to be. ~June Polis

Dude, don't you understand the first rule of holes? When you find yourself in a hole stop digging. Take it from a fellow Gopher.
~Planer's Edge

A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly.
~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:
M.V. Hobart Star 1974 (Blue Star Line)
T.S.S. Festivale 1993 (Carnival Cruise Line)
S.S. Norway 2003 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Queen Mary2 2006 (Cunard Line)
Carnival Imagination 2009 (Carnival Cruise Line)
M.V. Norwegian Sun 2010 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Destiny 2011 (Carnival Cruise Line)
Norwegian EPIC 2013 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Breeze 2014 (Carnival Cruise Line)