Dream Room Cleaning Trial

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:20 AM.
#2
New Jersey
629 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
It appears that the once a day comprehensive cabin cleaning is fleet wide now with Carnival.
Ice replenishment and fresh towels are still done twice daily if you ask your steward to do so.
Turndown service is not affected.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Nov. 2016 CCL Vista
Sept. 2016 Pride
June 2016 CCL Pride
Mar. 2016 CCL Pride
Oct. 2015 NCL Breakaway
Sept 2015 CCL Splendor
Feb 2015 CCL Dream
May 2013 CCL Splendor
Apr 2013 CCL Splendor
Sept 2012 RCI Explorer of the Seas
May 2012 CCL Miracle
July 2011 CCL Glory
Oct 2010 CCL Pride
Sept 2010 CCL Glory
Aug 2003 RCI Sovereign of the Seas
July 1992 Premier Oceanic
June 1992 Premier Oceanic
May 1990 Premier Atlantic
#4
USA
5,339 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by maryred
It appears that the once a day comprehensive cabin cleaning is fleet wide now with Carnival.
Ice replenishment and fresh towels are still done twice daily if you ask your steward to do so.
Turndown service is not affected.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

It appears to be in a trial stage on just a few ships but do think down the road they will make it once a day fleetwide
#5
Summerville, SC
6,537 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
We were on Magic last week and it was being done. It was no big deal. We opted for morning service which is when the bed got made, the carpet cleaned and towels replenished. He still came in the evening to deliver the Funtimes and provide turn-down.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past/Upcoming Cruises:
Song of Norway (7 night Western Caribbean)-1981
Fair Sky (12 night Alaska)-1985
Nordic Prince (7 night Bermuda)-1990
Norwegian Sea (7 night Western Caribbean)-2004
Celebration (5 night Bahamas)-2005
Norwegian Majesty (7 night Western Caribbean)-2006
Mariner of The Seas (7 night Eastern Caribbean)- Sep. 2007
Norwegian Star (8 night Mexican Riviera)-April 2008
Carnival Glory (7 night Western Caribbean)-November 2008
Celebrity Constellation (11 night Eastern/Southern Caribbean)- April 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 night Alaska)- August 2009
Celebrity Mercury (11 night Eastern Caribbean)-March 2010
Celebrity Constellation (14 night Southern Caribbean)-March 2011
Celebrity Silhouette (12 night Eastern/Southern Caribbean)-March 2012
Freedom of The Seas (14 Night Back-To-Back Western/Eastern Caribbean)-April 2013

Carnival Fantasy (7 Night Eastern Caribbean)-August 2014
Celebrity Silhouette (7 Night Western Caribbean)-March 2015
Carnival Sunshine(10 Night Eastern Caribbean)- May 2016
Carnival Sunshine (5 Night Bahamas) -November 2016
Carnival Magic (7 Night Western Caribbean) - February 2017
Oasis of The Seas (7 Night Eastern Caribbean) - October 2017
Celebrity Edge (7 Night Eastern Caribbean) - January 2019



#6
louisiana
265 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I believe the trial was for the steward to only come in one time a day. If you chose morning, he wouldn't come in the evening and provide clean towels and turn down service. He wouldn't actually clean the room twice a day. Glad to hear that you get morning service and turndown service in the evening with clean towels.
#7
Western North Carolina
109 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
I want stuff when I need it but I don't need someone cleaning twice a day. Maybe just try calling when we need something? Would that work?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Always looking for the next cruise to book

Upcoming:

Carnival Fantasy
May 11, 2017
4 Night, Mobile
Carnival Dream
Nov 26, 2017
7 Night, New Orleans


Past:

Carnival Victory
Sept 15, 2016
3 Night, Port Canaveral

Carnival Elation
Jan 18, 2016
5 Night, New Orleans

Carnival Conquest
Feb 24, 2013
7 Night, New Orleans
Carnival Legend
Sept 11, 2011
7 Night, Tampa
#8
Western Minnesota USA
214 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
We were on the Breeze a couple weeks ago and our Steward asked us on the first day if we wanted morning only, evening only or the traditional twice a day service.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#9
Little Rock ,Arkansas
1,454 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by bobbismith
I want stuff when I need it but I don't need someone cleaning twice a day. Maybe just try calling when we need something? Would that work?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Forums mobile app

No , your room steward will have around 35 cabins to clean .. They are on a schedule ..
#10
441 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Cleaning the rooms regularly actually keeps the rooms from getting out of hand...we all have walked by rooms that pass on cleanings every day.
#11
OH-IO (Go Bucks)
1,039 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
As long as we get clean towels and washcloths twice a day or enough for each to bathe twice I'm fine with it. We hardly ever even use the ice in buckets so that's unnecessary. But we for sure like to shower in the morning and before dinner and I do not use towels twice, call me spoiled but I will not.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Oasis of the Seas 6/15
Carnival Dream 07/12 Western Caribbean
Carnival Dream 08/11 Western Caribbean
Oasis of the Seas 06/10 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas 08/09 Bahama's
Adventure of the Seas 08/08 Southern Caribbean
Freedom of the Seas 10/1/06 Western Caribbean
Navigator of the Seas 9/05 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Majesty 10/03 Mexico
#12
West Virginia
152 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
On the Magic Jan. 28th-February 4, 2017. We chose morning service...room cleaned and fresh towels. Always fresh towels and turndown in the evening. We were happy with our service.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
7/69 - HAL - Ryndam II (Foreign Study League
Transatlantic/Southhampton-NYC)
1/04 - Carnival Glory - E. Caribbean
1/06 - RC Sovereign of the Seas-CocoCay/Nassau
2/07 - Carnival Victory - W. Caribbean
5/07 - Carnival Celebration - Key West/Nassau
3/09 - Carnival Freedom - W. Caribbean
2/10 - Carnival Dream - E. Caribbean
1/11 - Carnival Legend - W. Caribbean
4/11 - Carnival Victory - S. Caribbean
1/12 - Carnival Glory - E. Caribbean
5/12 - Fascination - Half Moon Cay & Nassau
1/13 - Carnival Conquest - W. Caribbean
5/13 - Carnival Ecstasy - Bahamas
2/14 - Carnival Dream - W. Caribbean
1/15 - Carnival Liberty - S. Caribbean

1/09/15 - Carnival Conquest - Exotic Eastern Carribean
#13
louisiana
265 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Great, sounds like someone finally got the memo about unhappy customers and things are finally settling down. Last cruise in Jan., on a different line, out room steward told me he had 15 cabins to look after. 35 seems a little high.
#14
Western Minnesota USA
214 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Originally posted by Hotdog 52
Great, sounds like someone finally got the memo about unhappy customers and things are finally settling down. Last cruise in Jan., on a different line, out room steward told me he had 15 cabins to look after. 35 seems a little high.

Actually when our Steward asked us what we wanted he told us the reason they were now asking for a preference was due to complaints from people who didn't want the Stewards coming into their rooms twice a day.

Also I don't think this would really be a cost cutting change for Carnival since the Stewards are almost entirely compensated with tips.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#15
USA
5,339 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by bwellen
Actually when our Steward asked us what we wanted he told us the reason they were now asking for a preference was due to complaints from people who didn't want the Stewards coming into their rooms twice a day.

Also I don't think this would really be a cost cutting change for Carnival since the Stewards are almost entirely compensated with tips.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Find it hard to believe what your steward told you. Standard on cruise lines is full service in morning and turndown at night.

Most cruisers would not even know the history behind this and would tip the same.
#16
Mississauga, ON
6,949 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
I don't think this is a trial any more. We were on 3 ships in Jan and Feb....Pride, Glory and Sunshine. On all three ships, we were asked by the cabin steward. They actually showed/gave me the form to fill out. There were 3 choices. Morning, evening or both. You could also check off for extra towels, ice, bathrobes and a couple more items. Sorry I do not remember but the list was for about 6 items. I only checked off for a bathrobe and service for both morning and evening.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mary
#17
Western Minnesota USA
214 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Originally posted by Micah's Grandad
Find it hard to believe what your steward told you. Standard on cruise lines is full service in morning and turndown at night.

Most cruisers would not even know the history behind this and would tip the same.

We asked him what most people were choosing and he said "once a day, just like a hotel". To be honest, when they quit giving out chocolates/mints in the evening the turndown service doesn't seem as exciting.

On our very first cruise in 2000 we were seated with a very young couple who were obviously on a tight budget for the trip. They were questioning why the room Steward came twice a day and were wishing she would come less so they wouldn't have to tip so much at the end of the cruise.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#18
USA
5,339 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by bwellen
We asked him what most people were choosing and he said "once a day, just like a hotel". To be honest, when they quit giving out chocolates/mints in the evening the turndown service doesn't seem as exciting.

On our very first cruise in 2000 we were seated with a very young couple who were obviously on a tight budget for the trip. They were questioning why the room Steward came twice a day and were wishing she would come less so they wouldn't have to tip so much at the end of the cruise.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
They gave room stewards more rooms to clean when they started this and since most people dont know any different they will pay the same for once or twice a day service. As a result stewards will push one a day any way they can. Human nature same pay per cabin for less work.

When you leave auto tips on you pay the same tip for once or twice a day service.
#19
Michigan, United States
2,141 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
I may be in the minority but I am MORE THAN HAPPY for once-a-day room steward service. Always in the past I felt like I had to leave the stateroom in the morning before I was ready to, so he/she would be able to come in and clean. But, there were a few times when I just put a sticky note on the door letting them know we didn't require morning service that day, or if I saw them in the hall the night before I would tell them personally.

So, I was very happy when they started asking which you prefer, morning, or evening, or both.

We were on the Dream in January and our room steward gave us the form to check off which cleaning (s) we wanted, and we chose night time. It was so nice not having to worry about her wanting to come in the morning to clean. There were also boxes to check off on the form if you wanted robes, extra towels, ice, etc.

We did ask for extra towels daily, and ice at night. It worked out very well, and we left our auto tips on plus tipped her extra at the beginning AND at the end. Coming in once a day to clean shaves off what...maybe 10 minutes....or 15....of the amount of time they spend per cabin? I still feel that they work hard and I wouldn't dream of cutting their tip in half because they were only coming in once daily.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Carnival Dream 1/17 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Paradise 2/15 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Conquest 1/13 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Freedom 1/12 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Monarch of the Seas 1/11 - Bahamas
RCI Mariner of the Seas 10/08 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Glory 1/08 - Western Caribbean
RCI Mariner of the Seas 1/06 - Western Caribbean
Disney Wonder 1/04 - Bahamas
Carnival Fantasy 1/03 - Bahamas
Disney Magic 1/03 - Western Caribbean
Disney Magic 1/01 - Eastern Caribbean
#20
USA
5,339 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Yvonne
I may be in the minority but I am MORE THAN HAPPY for once-a-day room steward service. Always in the past I felt like I had to leave the stateroom in the morning before I was ready to, so he/she would be able to come in and clean. But, there were a few times when I just put a sticky note on the door letting them know we didn't require morning service that day, or if I saw them in the hall the night before I would tell them personally.

So, I was very happy when they started asking which you prefer, morning, or evening, or both.

We were on the Dream in January and our room steward gave us the form to check off which cleaning (s) we wanted, and we chose night time. It was so nice not having to worry about her wanting to come in the morning to clean. There were also boxes to check off on the form if you wanted robes, extra towels, ice, etc.

We did ask for extra towels daily, and ice at night. It worked out very well, and we left our auto tips on plus tipped her extra at the beginning AND at the end. Coming in once a day to clean shaves off what...maybe 10 minutes....or 15....of the amount of time they spend per cabin? I still feel that they work hard and I wouldn't dream of cutting their tip in half because they were only coming in once daily.

If we ever have to choose once a day service and think down the road that is their plan, why tip the same for less service? Would not take off half but think some amount say 20% is reasonable.