Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising > River Cruise Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 16th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Budapest add on?

We are taking a Christmas market cruise from Nuremberg (pre-stay in Prague) to Budapest. From the itinerary, it looks as if we have a full day in Budapest with an overnight. However, the cruise ends on a Thursday and I am wondering if it is worth spending a few more days in Budapest or if we should fly somewhere else for a few days such as London. We will be doing a pre-stay in Paris prior to Prague. We are doing an AMA cruise because everything else was booked , so, we aren't stopping in Bratislava, so, if we stayed in Budapest, a train there might be an option. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

Old August 17th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

There will be no Joy2the World if you do not spend at least one extra day in Budapest ( and that won't even be enough). Why hassle traveling to another city when you will be in one of the greatest cities in the world!

Old August 17th, 2012, 12:22 AM
20,000+ Club

Definitely stay a few days in Budapest
so much to see & do there

They have a fast ferry to Bratislava I would check to see if it will be running when you are there

Last edited by LHT28; August 17th, 2012 at 12:24 AM.

Old August 17th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thumbs up I stayed 1 extra day there,,

on June AMA cruise,,and wished I d spent more.Great,clean,friendly,interesting city with much to see and do.
Plan on going back,,,so,,YES,,,do spend a few days...

Old August 17th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Our favorite city on our two week Grand European Cruise. Plan to spend at least 2-3 extra days.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 17th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

A few days in ANY of the cities you mentioned would be wonderful, but if you've been to any of them but have not spent any time in Budapest, I would definately stay there for a few days. Great architecture, art, culture, food, history. Delightful people, too! It's easy to get around and it's not expensive. If you have the option to not do the AMA add-on and do it "on your own", I'd do that...much less expensive!

Old August 18th, 2012, 06:24 AM
10,000+ Club

We are arriving in Budapest three days early DIY. It will be our first visit and we are looking forward to spending time in this beautiful city.

email me here: kf95704@gmail.com

Old August 20th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
Our favorite city on our two week Grand European Cruise. Plan to spend at least 2-3 extra days.
We spent a few days in Budapest on our own before our Danube cruise. It was our favorite place on this cruise too. We loved Bratislava too.

Old August 20th, 2012, 09:20 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by caviargal View Post
We are arriving in Budapest three days early DIY. It will be our first visit and we are looking forward to spending time in this beautiful city.
check out the "Chimney cakes" if you have the time YUMMY

Old August 21st, 2012, 09:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Absolutely!

I agree with all who suggest you stay BUD as many days as you can!

Wonderful city with much to see and do!!!

Old August 21st, 2012, 12:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHT28 View Post
check out the "Chimney cakes" if you have the time YUMMY

What are chimney cakes??

Fran

Old August 21st, 2012, 08:20 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by franski View Post
What are chimney cakes??

Fran
They have another name in Hungary "Kürtős Kalács' but here is a photo
http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...+chimney+cakes

There is a place on Vaci Utca near the Elizabeth bridge where you can watch them making them then of course buy & eat them

There is suppose to be a place in Toronto but I have not been down there yet
Lyn
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam- Eurodam, Royal Epirotiki-Olympic, Orient lines-Marco Polo, NCL-Dream, Princess - Dawn Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress, Scenic Tours -Scenic Sapphire, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina(1) Riveria (1) AQSC-American Queen

FUTURE CRUISE(S)

Email:LHT28 yahoo com
Put Cruise in subject line

PHOTOS:
http://lht28.smugmug.com/

Last edited by LHT28; August 21st, 2012 at 08:22 PM.

Old August 21st, 2012, 10:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHT28 View Post
They have another name in Hungary "Kürtős Kalács' but here is a photo
http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...+chimney+cakes

There is a place on Vaci Utca near the Elizabeth bridge where you can watch them making them then of course buy & eat them

There is suppose to be a place in Toronto but I have not been down there yet
Lyn

Thanks for the link... We had these in Prague --> a stall in the square by the Astronomical Clock makes them. They ARE yummy. I just didn't know what they were called...

I will have to go looking for them in Budapest when we are back next year. I love the strudel in the Central Market, but can always find room for an extra pastry.

Fran

Old August 24th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default What not to miss

We are spending one or more days before our October cruise begins. We'll have some kind of bus tour of town (Viking) but what else? Are there things we shouldn't miss? We have to decide how early to go (1-3 nights?) before the cruise. We are thinking of staying on the Pest side.

Old August 24th, 2012, 11:31 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversanddale View Post
We are spending one or more days before our October cruise begins. We'll have some kind of bus tour of town (Viking) but what else? Are there things we shouldn't miss? We have to decide how early to go (1-3 nights?) before the cruise. We are thinking of staying on the Pest side.
We stayed 2 extra night in a hotel plus we had 1 overnight on the ship
It was 33C the day we arrived so did the walking tour with our cruise ship of the castle district
I would stay as long as you can manage ...you will not see everything in a short time so just do what you can
The Pest side is very walkable to most of the tourist sites & others
There is some HOHO buses if you want to do that first to get an overview
Suggest doing a bit of research then decide what you want to see & go from there

Enjoy I am sure you will want to return to Budapest ...I certainly do (when it is cooler though)

Old August 24th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

The things we did in Budapest, and were glad we did...

Walking up the Vaci Utca, a visit to the Central Market, visiting the House of Terror and Shoes on the Danube Memorial...

Things we are hoping to do next time (May 2013)...

Seeing inside the Church in the Cave (closed for Mass when we were there last time...), taking a ride up the funicular on the Buda side, seeing the Hospital in the Cave Museum (and perhaps touring the tunnels under the castle), a visit to Monument Park - and perhaps a tour of the Parliament buildings.

We also want to go back to Central Market (LOVE the strudel there...) and look for chimney cakes, as it may be a few years before we get back to Prague.

I am sure that many others will chime in here as well.

Fran

Last edited by franski; August 24th, 2012 at 12:21 PM.

Old August 24th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I join the chorus to add as many days in Budapest as you can. Remember to visit both Buda and Pest! Public transportation is easy to use.

Old August 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by franski View Post
I will have to go looking for them in Budapest when we are back next year. I love the strudel in the Central Market, but can always find room for an extra pastry.

Fran
Fran
there is a place on vaci Utci between Pesti Barnabas & right before the street where Elizabeth bridge is

There is the stairs to go under the road on the way to the Central market at the corner if you are walking there

You can watch them in the window making them

Old August 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Highlights of Budapest

Quote:
I second shopping on Vaci Utca and at the Central Market. I found souvenirs and gifts (Pashmina scarves) there.

I would add walking along the Danube day and night. (Don't miss the pixie statue between the Intercontinental and the Central Market.)

If you are in good shape, take the Free* Walking tour all over the Pest side, then across the Chain Bridge and up the hill (strenuous) to see Castle Hill and Fisherman's Bastion. (*The guides are excellent, but rely on tips.) After the walk, we had the optional lunch at a homey cafeteria that looked like a school from the 50's. Everything on the menu is in Magyar, so our guides helped with orders. This was probably our most authentic meal, although the setting was the least pretentious.

At the end of the walking tour the guides spoke with us as a group and individually about our other interests, and this was really helpful. They told us so much about the history of Budapest, including being under Nzi and Communist regimes and later obtaining their independence.

If you don't do that tour, you can take the #2 tram over to the Buda side to see Fisherman's Bastion, St. Matthias Church, and the Hilton, literally built on a historic sight. We were there a few days, so we took the tram all the way to a mall, which was on the right side of the road in Buda. Or if your riverboat leaves from the Buda side and time permits, you may be able to leave your luggage onboard and look around the Buda side before you leave.

One place I did not want to miss was the "Shoes." It is a monument to the Jewish people who were told to remove their shoes, then were shot at the edge of the river just before the end of the war. It was heavy to see it, and it seemed appropriate that it started to rain just as we found it.

One last highlight was our evening departure. It was incredibly beautiful, and as we cruised around Budapest, our captain pointed out major sights before we left. Photographers, get ready!

Budapest was a favorite for us in terms of beauty, history, and friendliness of the people. Even though we saw a lot, there is much more to see and do, and we hope to return.

Last edited by KCcruisin07; August 24th, 2012 at 03:54 PM.

Old August 24th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Riversanddale, don't forget to factor in some dowwn time. For example, Budapest has a thriving Cafe scene and those famous thermal baths where you experience total bliss and relaxation and certainly local culture. I am reading an excellent book called BUDAPEST NOIR, a crime thriller by Vilmos Kondor, a really famous series in Hungary about a crime reporter named Zsigmond Gordon. It's fun following where he goes on my Budapest map!