Would you go on a pet-friendly cruise (if they existed)?

Poezestrepe

Also: hypothetically, what would the accommodations be like?

We're going on a 3 week transatlantic cruise this fall (MSC Musica from Marseille to the Dominican Republic).

While I greatly look forward to the cruise, it kills me to have to leave our family dog behind. :( I know she'll probably have a better holiday than we will (since she's staying with my parents and their dogs), and also that it'd be a hassle sometimes to have her on the ship (quarantine rules in the various ports of call etc.). But all in all, if I had the choice, I wouldn't hesitate to take her along.

While it's obviously not easy to implement for cruise lines, many of the advancements on recent ships are arguably more complex than providing some pet-friendly solutions. Surely if they can accommodate an in door ice skating ring, a dog park/toilet can't be too hard to make?

Off course, there'd need to be rules and regulations: paperwork and vaccinations up-to-date, dedicated cabins, on leash policy, restriction to enter certain areas,...

I realise it's not possible, but a girl can dream...

Absolutely not.

And even if it could be engineered (which would be far more difficult than you envision) it would not be remotely practical as it would only work if it was a "pet exclusive" cruise ship, as I highly doubt the vast majority of people would would cruise "pet-less" would want to cruise with other's pets around on board. How would those facilities and pet-capable staterooms be utilized otherwise? No cruise line would see any of that as economically feasible.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I love my dog and I hate leaving her behind but I cannot imagine the amount of stress both she, other dogs and passengers would come under on a cruise. The cabins are not large enough, even a dog park area would not allow me to take her off the leash and give her the exercise she needs, she would be extremely confused by the sights/smells of a new port every day even from the shop, and she would be upset and bark every time she heard people walking past the cabin door. I certainly wouldn't be able to leave her in the cabin unattended, so how would I have any time to get off the ship or even just to go to restaurants?

I wouldn't take my dog, and I wouldn't go to a dog-friendly cruise because of all the above, I think it would be extremely unfair on your average dog to bring them along.

I am of course fine with the occasional service dog because they are trained from a very young age so it's very different for them to your average pet.

We often imagine having our fluffy dog Binky poised on the floor waiting for a miracle in the MDR.

However, the idea of traveling on a ship with a Labrador Retriever trotting along the Lido Deck or a Great Dane drooling in the Schooner Bar is not terribly appealing.

Not to mention the little surprises you might find along the jogging track and sounds of barking from the cabin next door, you'd need a vacation after putting up with that for a week. :eek:

The Transatlantic run aboard the Queen Mary 2 is the only option if you'd like to travel with your pet. They have a play area outside for the dogs where you can visit and spend time with them throughout the crossing.

Binky will stay home for now unless we win the Lotto and buy a mega-yacht and he can happily trot up the gangway with a little captain's hat.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Pet friendly? OP, what you're actually proposing is dog friendly. What about all the other critters that people consider pets? The ship would have to be named Noah's Ark of the Seas.

I would never consider going on a pet friendly cruise in a million and one years.

Maybe your dream, but most everyone else's nightmare.

The Transatlantic run aboard the Queen Mary 2 is the only option if you'd like to travel with your pet. They have a play area outside for the dogs where you can visit and spend time with them throughout the crossing.

Binky will stay home for now unless we win the Lotto and buy a mega-yacht and he can happily trot up the gangway with a little captain's hat.

Jonathan

Here's a furry traveler from the QE2, getting ready for muster! I have no interest in a pet friendly cruise, and our kitties would undoubtedly prefer to stay home with the petsitter. Cunard does have kennels- and muster for the pets in case of an emergency. This kitty is from someone's blog. (cruiserking, I'm picturing Binky boarding your private yacht...). :D

0531%20002.jpg

I LOVE dogs and have had the companionship and love of dogs most of my life. I hated when we left them behind to travel but I would not sail on a cruise that was 'pet friendly'. Sadly not all pet parents (owners) are responsible and not all dogs are well trained. I don't want to hear and smell animals throughout my cruise and dodge those who may not have the best manners. :eek:

Nope, never. I would avoid such a ship as if it had a plague. Pets belong at home with their owners, not on a cruise ship with thousands of people who would have to watch their step at all times.

If you can't part from you pet, stay home with it. There is no need to force Fido on everyone else because you can't imagine being alone without him.

I would run away from that cruise and that entire line so fast that you could not catch up with me. We chose not to get another cat after our last one died because we travel a lot and it would not be fair to the cat. If you can not leave your pet at home and remember that it is just a pet and not your child, don't have one.

It gets me annoyed when people can't even leave their pets home when they go to the store for a short time. Can you imagine a ship filled with spoiled pets.

DON

The only way I could see it working is if I or a friend off mine was uber rich and we had our own yacht. Then all the dogs on board are ones I know and they are well behaved. But on a cruise line? No I can't see it working ever.

Something to work towards. My own yacht full of my friends and yorkies in life vests. :)