Garmin Pedestrian Maps

Northern Residence

Garmin now has Cityxplorer Pedestrian maps for Prague, Vienna and Budapest. We're on the Oct4 Prague to Budapest sailing and I'm wondering if anyone has found these useful. Being lost is sometimes a pleasure, sometimes not!

Cant see those in itunes. I assumed you meant an iphone / ipad app.

A few apps we have found very useful over our recent trips have been;

1. There are a range of city guides / maps under the Mtrip label in the App store. Excellent value and full access to a gps guide and map with no need to use data via the phone. Top class app. 10/10

2. There is a free GPS app that has a walk mode and I have tested it in both Australia and NZ. Look for Navfree in the app store. Very good apps.

3. There are a number of subway / metro apps put out by Zuti that we have used in Paris and Vienna. They have them for various cities. Again, does not need a data connection. Excellent apps!

I was trolling the Internet yesterday trying to find out about GPS units to use for walking cities on our next cruise. The only ones I found were the Garmins that use CityXplorer maps because they also include some of the local transportation options (bus, tram, etc. but it is different for each city). Not all Garmin models can use the enhanced pedestrian navigation so look carefully. I found they had them for at least 5 of the cities on our next trip so I'd love to hear from folks who might have used them. We don't have a fancy phone so the phone apps don't apply but we would be interested in a GPS unit for free time in ports and pre and post cruise stays.

I was trolling the Internet yesterday trying to find out about GPS units to use for walking cities on our next cruise. The only ones I found were the Garmins that use CityXplorer maps because they also include some of the local transportation options (bus, tram, etc. but it is different for each city). Not all Garmin models can use the enhanced pedestrian navigation so look carefully. I found they had them for at least 5 of the cities on our next trip so I'd love to hear from folks who might have used them. We don't have a fancy phone so the phone apps don't apply but we would be interested in a GPS unit for free time in ports and pre and post cruise stays.

Please - although I suppose I am an Apple "fan" - I think there might still be an option there for you.

You can get an ipad that does all you will need for $199. Check out the Apple site. It is effectively exactly the same features as an iphone without the phone. All the apps above work and, after your trip, you have a good music player, camera, web browser and GPS.

$199 vs the cost of renting / buying the GPS unit you mentioned.

Just a thought. The Mtrip apps are really fantastic for European cities.

Enjoy your trip.

Riversanddale, I can let you know when we return mid October. I already have a Garmin and have found it very useful for driving so am going to try the Pedestrian City maps. The maps themselves are not overly expensive and as i already have the unit, it's worth a try.

That would be most appreciated Northern Residence. The Garmins are looking the most helpful for the cities we are visiting on our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise.

I've been checking out the Ipod suggestion but they don't cover as many of the cities and I'm trying to find out if they include bus and tram information. They only list subways but I've written an inquiry to them.

Meanwhile, have a great trip and I'll look forward to any tips you can give us - tripwise and gpswise. Thanks.

An update FYI on the Ipad mtrip app from support at mtrip.

It does not support GPS to find where you are (no GPS chip) and does not include bus or urban train routes. It does include subway and some tram routes in some cities.

It does not allow for inputing addresses and finding a route: "At the moment there is no way to input an address for point A and B and search for routes. You can add point A and B but you will have to specify its location on the map. We are looking for a way to integrate address search but as the app is 100% offline it would make the size of the app unreasonably large." This is key for us in a strange city to get to places we want to see and getting from hotel to sites and boat to sites, etc. We're past the ability to walk for hours so public transport info is essential.

For us, this puts us back at the GPS options and/or good old fashioned maps and guides. We're hoping for the CityXplorer maps to work out.

An update FYI on the Ipad mtrip app from support at mtrip.

It does not support GPS to find where you are (no GPS chip) and does not include bus or urban train routes. It does include subway and some tram routes in some cities.

It does not allow for inputing addresses and finding a route: "At the moment there is no way to input an address for point A and B and search for routes. You can add point A and B but you will have to specify its location on the map. We are looking for a way to integrate address search but as the app is 100% offline it would make the size of the app unreasonably large." This is key for us in a strange city to get to places we want to see and getting from hotel to sites and boat to sites, etc. We're past the ability to walk for hours so public transport info is essential.

For us, this puts us back at the GPS options and/or good old fashioned maps and guides. We're hoping for the CityXplorer maps to work out.

The Mtrip App is not a turn by turn gps etc but it most certainly DOES allow you to go from point A to a desired location. It utilises the GPS in the iPhone (and I understand in the new iPod) and shows your location on the city map and then gives you very accurate walking directions to any of the sites/locations in the guide.

However, most important thing is to be happy with what you get.

For us, with an iphone - we turn off our phone data and use the apps I mentioned. Mtrip, Navfree and the Zuti Subway guides. Fantastic outcome.

Archived