Silver Spirit / My Silversea Questions

johnnycruise

We are taking our first Silversea cruise next month (May 2014) and have a few questions we're hoping a more experienced Silversea passenger can answer for us ...

• On the Silver Spirit, is La Terrazza the only restaurant that has a semi-formal dress code on formal night, or would a gentleman wearing jacket, slacks and tie be welcome to dine at Stars or Seishin on formal night as well?
  • I'm not finding the My Silversea site too user-friendly. Where can I find the specific nightly dress code listed?
  • Can one provide minibar preferences in advance on the My Silversea site, or is this something that must be communicated on board with the butler?
  • For Silversea passengers who have docked in Messina ... does Silversea offer a transfer-only coach option to Taormina? I am only finding a shore excursion tour listed, but wondering if something additional might be on offer once we board. Or, should we just plan to look for a taxi at the Messina port (and for what price)?
  • If we arrive for embarkation at 12:30 pm will we be allowed to board immediately and enjoy lunch, or does Silversea strictly adhere to the 2 pm boarding time?

Many thanks!

• On the Silver Spirit, is La Terrazza the only restaurant that has a semi-formal dress code on formal night, or would a gentleman wearing jacket, slacks and tie be welcome to dine at Stars or Seishin on formal night as well? Hmmm. Not sure about Stars or Seishin, but possibly. You can definitely dine semi-formal on formal night in La Terrazza or at the Pool Grill. Check when you board.
  • I'm not finding the My Silversea site too user-friendly. Where can I find the specific nightly dress code listed? They don't list the dress code for each night in advance of the cruise. The reason is that sometimes it changes. When you board, the dress code for each evening will be listed in the Chronicle. And if you go to Stars to make your specialty restaurant reservations, the person taking the reservations will have a list of each evening's dress code. (I would suggest going as soon as you board.) Typically, if a sea day occurs early in the cruise (on the 2nd or 3rd evening), that will be the first formal night.
  • Can one provide minibar preferences in advance on the My Silversea site, or is this something that must be communicated on board with the butler? You can certainly provide this in the additional requests/information on the Information Form you complete online, but frankly I find it better to communicate it to the butler when he/she comes to the cabin to welcome us aboard and asks if we have any special requests. It's just easier to communicate these things in person (i.e., remove the Coke and beer and replace with Chardonnay). :) Everything is then set up by that evening. And if we would like something before then, there are plenty of places to go have a drink, or you can just order room service.
  • For Silversea passengers who have docked in Messina ... does Silversea offer a transfer-only coach option to Taormina? I am only finding a shore excursion tour listed, but wondering if something additional might be on offer once we board. Or, should we just plan to look for a taxi at the Messina port (and for what price)? When we stopped in Messina, we took the excursion to see the theater in Taormina. The excursion was simply a transfer with a tour of the theater and then we were on our own for a few hours. There are plenty of taxis at the dock that want to do tours so you can do that as well. I can't recall the prices, but I think they may be posted. You can also ask the shore excursion desk how much it should be if you want to do that on your own. They provide information on ports, not just excursions. They'll have the map for the next day's port each day. And sometimes the port has a representative that comes on board that morning. I would also check the CC ports of call board for ideas on prices, etc.
  • If we arrive for embarkation at 12:30 pm will we be allowed to board immediately and enjoy lunch, or does Silversea strictly adhere to the 2 pm boarding time? It depends. 12:30 could be just a tad early, but it's possible. In any event, you will certainly be able to enjoy lunch when you board, either the buffet in La Terrazza (probably until 2:30 or 3), or at the Pool (until 4). Sometimes the restaurant is open too. Our experience is that we have always been able to board prior to 2pm--sometimes 12:30, sometimes 1pm. We go straight to reception to give them the credit card and check in, then have a drink at the pool, and then head to Terrazza for lunch.

Hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions.

Edited by Herman The Cat

On the SS website there is a search box. I think it is on the upper right of the screen. Type in ...dress code and it will appear. It is a list of # of days, i.e. 7 days is 1-3-3, 1F, 3 Informal and 3 Casual. Have a great trip!

I have had better luck with the beverage in the room issue by just telling the butler after we board. We want only water and diet coke in the frig, and we want a bottle or two of red wine in the room. Easiest just to tell the butler.

I have had better luck with the beverage in the room issue by just telling the butler after we board. We want only water and diet coke in the frig, and we want a bottle or two of red wine in the room. Easiest just to tell the butler.

Agreed, RachelG.

The butler comes to greet you when you arrive anyway, with pen and paper in hand, and you have his/her full attention. That's why we always find it better to communicate in person. He/she will ask questions, and make sure that you get exactly what you want. They do take careful notes. And if there is something we need and I don't see the butler, I just leave note for the cabin attendant/butler on the desk or bed and things are taken care of seamlessly.

I try to be cognizant and respectful of what a busy first day it is for the crew--disembarkation and embarkation. Things may take a little time on arrival day, but we aren't going anywhere (at least for a week!)--and we won't die of thirst or starve. We are on the ship to relax and enjoy ourselves, and that's what we do as soon as we arrive...we know everything will be taken care of in due course. We don't sweat the small stuff.

In regard to dress code, very sporty casual during the day--Europeans love "American casual" fashion, like Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren--but evenings are more sophisticated, than say, the Caribbean. Dining is also later than the US, i.e, 8:30pm-ish. That being said, I think that the dress code in regard to formal evenings in the summer in the Med is a bit more relaxed--check your cruise docs. You may not see as much black tie but men will still be dressed elegantly.

What cruise are you on, Johnnycruise, and when do you board?

Edited by Herman The Cat

I sincerely appreciate your insight, Herman (and Duct tape).

We board May 27, Rome - Rome. I have cruised in the Mediterranean many times and have a respectful affinity for Seabourn, but I have never been to any of the ports on this sailing (other than Rome). The itinerary certainly "hooked" us to try Silversea.

I am impressed by the large size of the suites on the Silver Spirit and hope to get to sample all aspects of the ship on this port-intensive cruise.

johnny

Hello Johnnycruise,

We are on the same cruise as you... first time on SS and we decided on this cruise for the ports as well, it will be our first time to both Sicily and Malta! We are looking forward to it. Maybe we will run into you on board.

Your itinerary is wonderful. We did a similar itinerary on the Cloud in September 2013.

Malta is amazing. A wonderful city to explore and discover. We actually did the "Gardens of Malta" excursion in the afternoon which was just ok given the dry climate. (I was shocked by the vast quantity of mosquitos there as well given the dry climate. Take bug repellent if they tend to like you.)

And of course you are visiting Sorrento which is another wonderful city to wander. For a casual lunch, we loved Inn Bufalito. No views but fantastic hearty fare.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Yes, we are in Rome a few days pre-cruise and we are doing a semi-private (max 7 people) early morning Sistine Chapel/Vatican Museum tour. We have seen it before but with a lot of crowds so we are looking forward to a quieter experience. I have also arranged for the Colosseum Underground/3rd Ring tour that gets good reviews.

Thanks for the tip on Mosquito repellent... I usually have this one me list but did not think of it for this trip!

While on the cruise we have arranged a private tour from Trapani to the town of Erice (our time in this port is quite short) and we have also arranged a private 'Godfather tour' that includes a visit to Taormina during our stop in Messina. I am not a 'Godfather' fan but the small villages that we go to look very picturesque! I think we are going to DIY on all the other ports.

Countdown is on!! Can hardly wait!

Just got off Spirit today, and will verify in the Chronicles when we get back home, but as I recall La Terraza was informal on formal nights and The Grill was casual. I would also say if you enjoy sitting poolside find Emilio and you would do well to ask for Paul in The Restaurant.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just got off Spirit today, and will verify in the Chronicles when we get back home, but as I recall La Terraza was informal on formal nights and The Grill was casual. I would also say if you enjoy sitting poolside find Emilio and you would do well to ask for Paul in The Restaurant.
Thanks Mark_K. We will seek out Emilio and Paul when we board late June.

Thanks Mark_K. We will seek out Emilio and Paul when we board late June.
You're welcome. BTW, I checked the Chronicles, and it was informal for La Terraza and casual for The Grill.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the Spirit right now, BCN to Civitavecchia and ate at the small STARS supper club last night when the main areas were formal, as the guide for the ship said it was informal so we were (not casual, just informal). Very pleasant and mellow atmosphere with a talented soulful singer this month and excellent serial small plates, I highly recommend the experience!

We are on the Spirit right now, BCN to Civitavecchia and ate at the small STARS supper club last night when the main areas were formal, as the guide for the ship said it was informal so we were (not casual, just informal). Very pleasant and mellow atmosphere with a talented soulful singer this month and excellent serial small plates, I highly recommend the experience!

The Sinatra show is really great if you like that music. And you don't have to dine there; you can just go to the show.