Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Northern Europe & Baltics

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Northern Europe & Baltics Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn

Old June 11th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bergen

I will be on the Princess Norweigian fjords cruise making a stop in Bergen. Does Princess run a shuttle into the center of town? Or is it best to take one of the tours?

Old June 11th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I didn't sail the fjords on Princess, but on our sailing, all of the ships docked in the same area, which is within easy walking distance of the fish market. You pass by the Bryggen historic area and the funicular on your left, so I would suggest walking anyway since those are places that you will likely visit during your day in Bergen. Bergen is a great port that is very easy to do on your own, so I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Have a great trip,
Donna

Old June 12th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie1234 View Post
I will be on the Princess Norweigian fjords cruise making a stop in Bergen. Does Princess run a shuttle into the center of town? Or is it best to take one of the tours?
I'm Norwegian, and my wife is actually from Bergen. Depending on the wheather, I would do it on my own. Walk into the centre, take the funicular up to Fløien and enjoy. Much cheaper and much more fun than a "tour"!

Good lucki!

Screwcork

Old June 12th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

There is a tour bus which departs from the fish market (short walk from the ship) which offers a tour called "Bergen in a Nutshell" - a lovely tour with all the main sights plus a trip in the cable car included. We can thoroughly recommend this - it drops back in the centre for shopping etc and is an easy stroll back to the ship. BTW Beware prices in Norway - people think Britain is expensive, wait till you see Norway's!

Old June 13th, 2007, 03:55 AM
5,000+ Club

Location: The Netherlands, wintermonths in Puerto vallarta, Mexico

You can walk to the funiculair in Bergen (or take a city-bus near the cruiseterminal) and have a great view from the top of the mountain. http://www.floibanen.no/default.asp
Near fishmarket there is a small touristictram that tours around the city for one hour.
http://www.norway.com/directories/d_company.asp?id=5294

1st cruise 1983 HAL "Volendam", after that various cruises to different destinations on H.A.L, Celebrity and Orient Lines.

1963 DH sailed Chandris Lines (Bretagne) from Australia to Europe.
Various trips by car through Europe, the USA and Mexico.
Frequent stay in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.