Paul Gaugin

travellgirl

We normally sail on Celebrity and also get at least a balcony room. We are considering sailing on the Paul Gaugin in May and staying four nights pre or post cruise in Bora Bora. We will more than likely be getting a window stateroom on the ship this time. Has anyone stayed in a stateroom with just a window when you are used to a balcony? We do love the balcony and get much use out of it, but the cost of this trip just keeps getting higher and higher and we would love to go on the Paul Gaugin before it stops sailing.

Hi Lorraine,

We are also fans of Celebrity balcony staterooms. We went on the P.G. a couple of years ago, and were very concerned about the window cabins. I tell you, there is no reason to be concerned at all. The cabin size itself is the same as the balcony cabins, very roomy. The only time we spend in our cabin was to sleep and shower. For us, the porthole cabin was just fine and we would do it the same way if/when we go again.

Bon Voyage!

Cindy Sue :)

We had a balcony on the Seven Seas Mariner in Alaska, and loved it. The cost differential was too great on the PG [all the rooms on the Mariner had balconies - we had a 'cheap' one - that we went with the window, not the porthole. No problem. Unlike the Mariner, we didn't sit in our room or on our balcony, we sat on deck - and enjoyed the scenery. We enjoyed it even more snorkeling.

David

I was wondering if any of the experts would know the answer to this PG question. I see there are some specials coming up with RT airfare deals from JFK. Could anybody tell me how long a flight that would be and how would I find out what airline carrier they use? Thank you so much. Fizzy

The NY to Tahiti will probably be on Air tahiti Nui...they were suppose to start that service.

I I remember the fligt from LA was about 8 hours...so tack on about 5 more for the non stop from the east coast.

I plan on going back in 2007, but will go Philly- LA- Papeete. Like last time I will ask to upgrade at LAX to business class for the trip over. Although not well known, you can upgrade space available for 600 one way. It was pricet, but still cheaper than booking Business up front. Then take the coach back. Business class on Air tahiti was very nice...food was great.

Hope some of this helps.

We've cruised the PG, both in a regular balcony suite and in a window suite (never cruised her with a "porthole suite, of which there are a few). We found the balsony really to small to be of much use. Didn't extend far enough from the side of the ship and was therefor too shallow. If we were to cruise the PG again, we'd just book a window suite.

However, if you get up to some of the high-dollar "senior suites", they have very large balconies. But the "regular" balcony suites just aren't worth the extra mony IMO.

Remember that the PG is a very small ship, and no suite is very far from an open deck, which you will find to be generally uncrowded. For us, this lessens our need for a balcony.

Thanks,

Richard

Glad to hear the about the window rooms. We booked a cruise in Feb. and there were no balconies available. We were hoping one would become available, but now we're not too concerned.

Thanks for the info.

Janet

While the balcony cabins are more expensive, there is nothing like having breakfast on your balcony while watching the sun rise on or over the islands. Something my DW and I will never forget. It's just a matter of how much that is worth to you. Just being on that cruise is a wonderful experience.

Dennis

Just returned from Tahiti on the Air Tahiti Nui flight to JFK. It was eleven hours to get to N.Y. Remember though, it is alway quicker to fly east. The flight left at 2145 hours and with the time difference landed at 2:30 p.m. Great flight, great food, great service. And that flight is almost never full, so you may be able to stretch right out and nap.

We flew ATN both ways from JFK to Tahiti - it's 12 hours there and 11.5 hours back. The flight arrives in Papeete at 11:00 in the evening, and they hold the ship 'til you board, then depart immediately, while you're getting into bed. You miss the first night's dinner and entertainment. Radisson gave us a room at the Radisson Plaza for one night, so we could fly back on Sunday, rather than rushing off the boat to fly back on Friday, which gave us some time to see Papeete - albeit on a Sunday when the shopping was minimal. Both flights are good - with good service, 4 movies to watch, and reasonable legroom on an A380. It's not Singapore Airlines, but it's good. Sure beats flying to LAX, staying overnight at a hotel there, to fly to Tahiti from LA.

We had room 402 window stateroom and were very happy with it. We wanted a balcony but they were not avaliable. Once we saw the room we were fine with it. You do not spend much time in the room anyway. Our cruise was full but it was amazing how "empty" the ship was, the decks always had chairs and you can enjoy a wonderful breakfast on the deck in paradise! Do ask your steward for a "egg carton" matress cushion, the beds are VERY hard and uncomfortable. And remember to bring extra extension cords.

Beth :)

The NY to Tahiti will probably be on Air tahiti Nui...they were suppose to start that service.

I I remember the fligt from LA was about 8 hours...so tack on about 5 more for the non stop from the east coast.

I plan on going back in 2007, but will go Philly- LA- Papeete. Like last time I will ask to upgrade at LAX to business class for the trip over. Although not well known, you can upgrade space available for 600 one way. It was pricet, but still cheaper than booking Business up front. Then take the coach back. Business class on Air tahiti was very nice...food was great.

Hope some of this helps.

Do you know how you managed to do that upgrade???

We have also started taking a night light with us too.

Not a big deal on PG but works great on Voyager, and Mariner since they do have plug in in bathrooms. (Don't know about Navigator).

Don't have to be blinded when you need to get up during the night if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the tips, Jim! I just thought I would chime in about something we bought after our first Silversea cruise - our suite had NO clock!?!? - so for our next voyage, we brought a digital projection clock - you can see the time both "normally" and lit up as a projection up onto the ceiling. Ours gives enough light so that it also serves as a nightlight. It's on our list to bring on the PG too, of course.

• 1 month later...

When I did it (twice), I made sure to be the first person in line at their counter at LAX - I believe the counter opened at 11:30 or noon. Once up to the counter, I asked to upgrade one way - very easy - they just take a swipe of your card and charge the $600. Not sure if it works the same out of NYC/JFK. It may cost more since it's a longer flight.

Doing it on the way back from PPT, you have to get to the airport very early as everyone starts showing up on buses from the hotels - I didn't bother. Not nearly as comfortable as Business, but managed to sleep most of the way (with the help of happy pills;) ).

I'm tempted to go back for several reasons - now more shade on the pool deck (almost none before), and they're supposed to be going to all-inclusive booze in a few months. Other reason is that Tahiti and the other islands are just over-whelmingly spectacularly beautiful. And on the PG, service and food equal the beauty. IMHO, though, one should do a 3day PRE-cruise... to avoid the massive let-down in quality in a post-cruise trip. IMHO.:D

Archived