Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Other Mediterranean Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Other Mediterranean Ports Dubrovnik, Gibraltar, Istanbul, Kotor, Kusadasi, La Goulette (Tunis), Lisbon, Madeira (Funchal), Malta, Odessa, Sevastopol, Varna, Zadar

Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What to do in Vigo, Spain????

We'll be in Vigo, Spain for one day in May. I would love to hear from anyone who has visited Vigo, or who knows anything about what to do and see in Vigo. Thanks for any help.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Best thing you could do in that stop is to take the tour to Santiago de Compostela, a little over an hour from Vigo. It is IMO one of the jewels of Spain. Does your ship offer that tour?

Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseluv View Post
Best thing you could do in that stop is to take the tour to Santiago de Compostela, a little over an hour from Vigo. It is IMO one of the jewels of Spain. Does your ship offer that tour?
Thank you. I haven't checked on the ship tours, yet, but I will.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Is there anything that anyone can suggest to see in Vigo? What other cities are near that might be interesting to see? Thanks for any help!

Old February 4th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyes7 View Post
Is there anything that anyone can suggest to see in Vigo? What other cities are near that might be interesting to see? Thanks for any help!
If you want my honest opinion I would stay on the ship !!!!!. There is nothing within walking distance of the ship that I am aware of that is worth seeing.

The only good trip I have heard about is the one that has already been mentioned...Santiago

Last edited by P1TKL; February 4th, 2009 at 06:08 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Fort

While in Vigo, we toke the free store bus to a big department store and enjoyed free tapas and wine. To repay this hospitality, my dear wife purchased a cashmire sweater. We enjoyed a leisurely walk back to the ship (all downhill).

After returning my dear wife to the ship, I took a taxi to the fort on the hilltop and had a good time exploring and seeing the great harbor views. Many of our Cruise Critic friends happened to be on a tour at the same place and time. One of the guys joined me in an easy walk (all downhill) back to the ship. We stopped and visited a church and also the city fish market on the way back. It was an inexpensive, interesting and easy day.
Star Princess Europe 07
Grand Princess Greek Isles 09
Island Princess Panama Canal 10
Grand Princess British Isles 11
HAL Nieu Amsterdam Transatlantic 12
Crown Princess Transatlantic 13

Old February 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

We took the ships tour to Santiago de Compostella. It was outstanding. Lovely drive in northern Spain to the site. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

Old February 14th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Vigo was the last port stop on our cruise. We knew we would be exhausted by then, and didn't want to make the long journey to Santiago. Instead, we hired a guide to pick us up and take us on a tour of Baiona and an afternoon walking tour of Vigo. Baiona is a charming seaside village. Some things to see there are Our Lady of the Rock statue (you can climb inside to an observation deck), Monterreal Fortress, Caravel Pinta Museum, Meeting of the Two Worlds Monument, Arrival Memorial and Plaques, the Watery Well (the crew of the Pinta took water for their journey from here). There is also an old town and seaside promenade with shops and restaurants. Afterwards, we drove back to Vigo and stopped at the Parque do Castro for panoramic views over Vigo. We parked the van near the Rua de Principe, a shopping area, and began our walking tour. We walked through the plazas in the old town, through the seafood market, and had lunch, then walked across the street to the ship. We had an enjoyable day. If I went back, I would spend the day in Baiona. We were there in July, and an important thing to know is that ship time is different than port time. 9 a.m. ship time is 10 a.m. Vigo time.
RCCL - Sovereign of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - May 1989
RCCL - Splendour of the Seas - Circle the Caribbean - March 2000
RCCL - Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean - March 2003
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Southern Caribbean - March 2006
RCCL - Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - April 2007
RCCL - Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico - February 2008
RCCL - Independence of the Seas - Mediterranean - July 2008
RCI - Allure of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - January 2011
RCI - Freedom of the Seas - Holiday Cruise -December 2011

Celebrity Reflection - Eastern Caribbean - January 2014
AMA Waterways - Spain and Provence - May 2014

Old February 14th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default vigo

she who must be obeyed and I went for a walk in Vigo...found an overlook that was pretty....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6e p.jpg (18.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 6e u.jpg (23.4 KB, 35 views)

Old February 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyes7 View Post
We'll be in Vigo, Spain for one day in May. I would love to hear from anyone who has visited Vigo, or who knows anything about what to do and see in Vigo. Thanks for any help.

We took the Princess Cruise Lines sponsored shore excurison - Bayona La Real. A video made during this tour have been posted on YouTube.

Click on the link below for information that will lead you to the video.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

Cruzer Two
Princess, Sun, 1999, Alaska, Seward to Vancouver - Holland America, Veendam, 2000, W. Caribbean, RT Miami - Princess, Grand, 2001, E. Caribbean, RT Fort Lauderdale - Princess, Grand, 2001, W. Caribbean, RT Fort Lauderdale - Royal Caribbean, Majesty of the Seas, 2004, Bahamas, RT Miami- Holland America, Oosterdam, 2004, Baltic Sea, Copenhagen to London - Norwegian, Star, 2005, Mexican Rivera, RT Los Angeles - Princess, Diamond, 2005, Asia/Orient, Beijing to Bangkok- Celebrity, Galaxy, 2005, E. Mediterranean/Greek Isles and Turkey, RT Rome - Princess, Dawn, 2006, Pacific Coastal, San Francisco to Vancouver- Princess, Star, 2006, Europe/Trans Atlantic, Copenhagen to New York - Princess, Caribbean, 2007, E. Caribbean, RT Fort Lauderdale- Princess, Golden, 2007, Pacific Coastal, San Francisco to Vancouver - Princess, Caribbean, 2007, E. Caribbean, RT Fort Lauderdale - Princess, Star, 2007, European Explorer, Copenhagen to Rome - Princess, Island, 2007, Panama Canal, San Juan to Acapulco - Holland America, Rotterdam, 2008, South America Explorer & Antarctic Experience, Santiago to Rio de Janeiro - Princess, Sapphire, 2008, Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific, Sydney to Los Angeles - Royal Caribbean, Legend Of The Seas, 2009, Dubai to Rome - Princess, Caribbean, 2010, New England & Canada, RT New York -Norwegian, Jade, 2011, Morocco & Canary Islands, - Cunard - QM2, 2011, Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing - Holland America, Ryndam, 2011, Western Caribbean - Voyages of Discovery, Discovery, 2012, Black Sea & Gallipoli - Caribbean Princess, 2012, North Cape & Norwegian Fjords - Princess, Ruby, 2012, Transatlantic, Venice to Ft. Lauderdale - Caribbean Princess, 2012, 'Southern Caribbean - Holland America, Ryndam, 2013 Transatlantic, Tampa to Barcelona - Holland America, Noordam, 2014 Transatlantic, Ft. Lauderdale to Rome

CruzerTwo Youtube Videos

Old February 15th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yvie, do you recall the name of the private tour company you hired for your day in Vigo?

That sounds like the kind of day we might enjoy there.

Thanks!

Kim

Kim's email address: egkimwilliams@gmail.com

Carnival's Ecstasy (Baja, Mexico) - December 2001
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas (Mexican Riviera) - July 2002
Sun Princess (Alaska) - June 2006
Carnival's Destiny (Southern Caribbean) - June 2007
Crown Princess (European Explorer) - June 2009

Old February 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseluv View Post
Best thing you could do in that stop is to take the tour to Santiago de Compostela, a little over an hour from Vigo. It is IMO one of the jewels of Spain.
I agree with this.

You don't need to go on a ship's tour. You can go by public transport (CC member keltic comes from Santiago and has lots of good information about this); or rent a car and drive yourself there, giving yourself much more flexibility than being tied to a ship's tour (I've done this twice from La Coruna, which is the same distance from Santiago as Vigo).

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.
_

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in CA View Post
Yvie, do you recall the name of the private tour company you hired for your day in Vigo?

That sounds like the kind of day we might enjoy there.

Thanks!

Kim
Our driver/guide was Brendan from Guided Galicia. His website lists several tours to choose from, or you can tell him what your interests are and he will design a customized tour. Brendan is originally from New Zealand, speaks perfect english (of course), and provided a recent model vehicle for us to tour in. We felt as though we had an old friend showing us around. You can contact him through www.guidedgalicia.blogspot.com .
RCCL - Sovereign of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - May 1989
RCCL - Splendour of the Seas - Circle the Caribbean - March 2000
RCCL - Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean - March 2003
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Southern Caribbean - March 2006
RCCL - Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - April 2007
RCCL - Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico - February 2008
RCCL - Independence of the Seas - Mediterranean - July 2008
RCI - Allure of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - January 2011
RCI - Freedom of the Seas - Holiday Cruise -December 2011

Celebrity Reflection - Eastern Caribbean - January 2014
AMA Waterways - Spain and Provence - May 2014

Old February 24th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default in dispute

as a fan of the Flight of the Concordes I cannot just concede the point that all Kiwis speak English.....its close...but about the same as Ozzies

let the pub fight begin

Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

We rented a car and drove to Santiago. It was an easy trip and a wonderful day. We loved the cathedral and the town. It was worth the trip.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Queenk2, do you remember which rental car company you used... and where their office was?

Yvie, I sent Brendan an email to see if he is available the day we will be there and what the tour would cost if he is.

Private tours are great, but with 13 ports of call, our excursion budget is being stretched pretty thin!

Thanks!

Kim

Kim's email address: egkimwilliams@gmail.com

Carnival's Ecstasy (Baja, Mexico) - December 2001
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas (Mexican Riviera) - July 2002
Sun Princess (Alaska) - June 2006
Carnival's Destiny (Southern Caribbean) - June 2007
Crown Princess (European Explorer) - June 2009

Last edited by Kim in CA; March 3rd, 2009 at 12:39 AM.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

I know that we rented from hertz , however I do not know where they were located..my husband and a friend picked up the car. I imagine that if you called the international number they could give you better information!
Karen