Purchase of dry top snorkel on board?

douglejuggle

Can you purchase a dry top snorkel on board. Going to Southern Caribbean and would like to purchase dry top snorkel for use during shore excursions, don't like the idea of sharing a mouthpiece. Departure port is in Miami, maybe there is one for purchase there. Anybody know..

Dry top snorkels have a valve which don't allow water to flood the tube.

Can you purchase a dry top snorkel on board. Going to Southern Caribbean and would like to purchase dry top snorkel for use during shore excursions, don't like the idea of sharing a mouthpiece. Departure port is in Miami, maybe there is one for purchase there. Anybody know..

Have never seen such items for sale onboard (to be honest there really are limited shops overall aboard).

Mr Sloop & I own such snorkels. We bought them at a specialized Dive / Scuba Shop here at home. (we too shudder at the idea of sharing mouthpieces). We are ok with other well used rental equipment but choose to travel with our own Snorkels & Water Shoes.

Try to find the snorkel before you go... Cause no doubt you will pay a lot less when you can shop around at home vs rushing around trying to find them in Miami before the cruise. You could also buy online. (I believe our complete snorkels cost about $30 each when they were new)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

I suggest ordering online from DiversDirect or Scuba.com. I have ordered snorkel gear from both companies of good quality and at good prices. Or buy from a local Scuba shop. While you are at it you should get your own snorkel mask too.

http://www.scuba.com

http://www.diversdirect.com

Edited by Charles4515

RCL Allure and Oasis have dive shops on board. While there one morning they showed me a travel snorkel that was made entire out of rubber. You could roll it into a spiral so it does not take much room in your luggage. It looked pretty neat, however I have no idea if it's easy to use.

I bring my own mask and snorkel, usually not my fins. I'm not so worried about the mouthpiece, but I apparently have a narrow face and most snorkel masks just don't fit me well.

I bought mine at a place I could try the mask on to see how it fit. The snorkel is the dry type. It wasn't all that expensive--$30-$40 dollars--but works so much better for me than the generic snorkels they have on snorkeling tours.

I bring my own snorkel because I too have an issue with those public use snorkels that are cleansed in a giant trash can. :eek: No chance of me sticking that icky thing in my mouth after hundreds/thousands of tourists.

I also bring my own mask because I have a prescription one that matches my eye glasses. They are pricey but it was worth it to me a few years ago.

I am kind of a loan wolf and do bring my own fins. I have an unbelievable pair and even the dive boat guys commented on how great they were.

In addition to the added cleanliness benefits and proper fit you also have a distinct advantage of being able to be one of the first in the water due to not having to wait while they fish out gear and fit everyone.

While you CAN order them on line I cannot stress enough how much better it is to go to your local dive shop and discuss your needs with the shop master and get properly fitted. The time and money will be well spent when you have gear that performs as you expect and need and fits beautifully.

Edited by Clydesmom7865

I always had trouble with the fit of rental masks and am in the same boat as others when it comes to putting someone else's snorkel in my mouth! I bought a set from a local dive shop and the mask fits perfectly and the snorkel is the dry kind described above. I usually bring my own fins, too, because I have narrow feet and rental ones tend to slip around and rub too much. All three things take up little room in the suitcase and as others say, it's nice to just throw on your own things and go! I am purchasing a shortie wetsuit as well and will be bringing that too! Find after 20 minutes or so in the water I start to get chilled so this should enable me to stay longer in the water as well as give me a little extra buoyancy.

If your going to be in Miami ahead of your cruise, there a plenty of places to by gear, if you have a car. Otherwise, I'd bring my own. The ones sold onboard are for kids. We always bring our own mask and snorkel.

I just got back from the Solstice, and they were selling these for adults and for kids. I bought one but regretted it and I'll tell you why. I brought my own goggles because they are prescription ones. The mouthpiece thing that I bought on the ship fit the goggles they also sold (it was one pack) and the mouthpiece part fit in the front of the goggles. My prescription ones have it so it hooks on the side.

So if you don't have to have prescription goggles, you can certainly wait and buy this on the ship, which saves some packing space. However, if they run out or your ship doesn't have them, then you're out of luck.

Felicia

Thanks for the suggestions and links. One more thing to add to the packing list. At least buying ahead of time will give me a chance to test out the snorkel before hitting the deep waters.

Yes I would get it before the cruise. Certainly more to choose from. No telling what they'd have onboard, and likely a limited selection.

Yes I would get it before the cruise. Certainly more to choose from. No telling what they'd have onboard, and likely a limited selection.

If any selection. I bought semi-dry for a few reasons. I bought online - can't re beer where. Google snorkel gear and shop.

If any selection. I bought semi-dry for a few reasons. I bought online - can't re beer where. Google snorkel gear and shop.

Rebeer? Not sure where auto correct found that. I guess what it's called when you order a second round?