Vote: Which is your favorite river cruise line?

My favorite river cruise line is....  

503 members have voted

1. 1. My favorite river cruise line is....

• Avalon Waterways
    • Scenic
    • Viking River
    • Tauck
    • AMAWaterways
    • American Cruise Line (Queen of the Mississippi)
    • Uniworld
    • Grand Circle
    • American Queen Steamboat
    • A-ROSA
    • Don't know yet; I'm a river cruise virgin.

Most of the lines do a good job of taking care of their passengers when things are going well, the difference is when things are not so good!

I can tell you that when we took a cruise from BUD to AMS a couple of years ago there were low water level issues.

I saw on these boards where some river cruise lines cancelled the trips mid-way and, according to posts by some passengers on some of the well known lines, they were left without any effort to help them get to the destinations, etc. They were left to scramble using their own devices!

Some of the cruise lines did finish the cruises but were relegated to them turning in to "bus trips"

We were on the Tauck cruise during the very same time and, without going into all of the details, the cruise was completed as a river cruise and we were very, very happy with how they handled the "crisis". The pax on board were very pleased as well.

In my opinion, that is why one would choose to go with a company that makes a commitment to superior customer service...and fulfills that commitment to the best of their ability!

We cruised Uniworld when it was combined with Avalon 10 years ago. It was great for us because the demographics were younger. WE were still the youngest on the ship, but the other passengers were all very active and it made the shore excursions sooooo much better!

Marti

Encinitasgal

Although we have never cruised with Tauck, I agree how a line handles problems, both from nature and the mechanical ones show how a line really cares about the customer. Feel this poll will bring out the cheerleaders in full force. Pat

I will be going on my third river cruise with AMA Waterways (Istanbul to Vienna) in about a month, and I have already booked a Tulip Time cruise for next year with them. My previous cruises had been excellent in every way, and I see no reason to cruise with another line right now.

Their loyalty program for past passengers is also very good, which is a good incentive to sail with them.

Sergio

Hi, Pacmom. We like to check in every now and again to see what our readers like -- cheerleaders or no. But: That's why the comments portion of this forum really matters because travelers can explain why they prefer a certain line.

I am totally in agreement that it's when a cruise faces challenges that lines have the best opportunity to show their stuff. All too often they don't rise to the occasion. But when any kind of company does take great good care during a less than ideal scenario, well, they own my loyalty moving forward.

Carolyn

Although we have never cruised with Tauck, I agree how a line handles problems, both from nature and the mechanical ones show how a line really cares about the customer. Feel this poll will bring out the cheerleaders in full force. Pat

We have traveled 10 times on Uniworld and, obviously, much prefer them over all the other river cruise companies that we have traveled on. Their service and attention to detail is far superior to what we have experienced on other companies....

Carolyn, thanks for taking the time to read these posts. We experienced first hand excellent proaction from AMA during the "winter of low water" in 2012. The only boats the weeks we sailed that made the entine trip were older AMA boats. We were warned in advance that there would be a slight chance and it was just that. While underway, we lost a thruster--informed promptly and part driven from Rotterdam to Regensberg and fixed with a loss of 3 hours sailing. AMA and Uniworld rank neck and neck at the top of our list for customer satisfaction, attention to detail and crew. We are running out of rivers and DH is not one to repeat trips. This June we sail with Road Scholar on the Gironde--getting there before many others. Thisis the most pleasant of all the boards I have read---chherleaders and all. Pat

We sailed AmaCello on a Rhine cruise a couple of weeks ago and I cannot imagine a better line. We were satisfied with all aspects of the experience and the service and quality exceeded our expectations.

The Gironde's on my wish list, Pacmom! Hope you'll tell us about it.

I hear you about running out of rivers. I've done the Danube a bunch of times, and the Rhine -- I'm on it now, maybe my fourth? -- but honestly, I never tire of 'em. Some ports are old friends (Durnstein, Regensburg, Rudesheim, Strasbourg).

Carolyn

Carolyn, thanks for taking the time to read these posts. We experienced first hand excellent proaction from AMA during the "winter of low water" in 2012. The only boats the weeks we sailed that made the entine trip were older AMA boats. We were warned in advance that there would be a slight chance and it was just that. While underway, we lost a thruster--informed promptly and part driven from Rotterdam to Regensberg and fixed with a loss of 3 hours sailing. AMA and Uniworld rank neck and neck at the top of our list for customer satisfaction, attention to detail and crew. We are running out of rivers and DH is not one to repeat trips. This June we sail with Road Scholar on the Gironde--getting there before many others. Thisis the most pleasant of all the boards I have read---chherleaders and all. Pat

Hi, MarkBearSF. Looking forward to AMAPrima later this summer!!!

Carolyn

We sailed AmaCello on a Rhine cruise a couple of weeks ago and I cannot imagine a better line. We were satisfied with all aspects of the experience and the service and quality exceeded our expectations.

Because I messed up! Again, apologies. But I'm curious -- you have done a few river cruises. Do you not have a favorite? Or is it you can't decide? Tell us why in either case!

Thanks.

Carolyn

Why is there not an option - "None of the above" or "unsure"? or "cant decide"?

Because I messed up! Again, apologies. But I'm curious -- you have done a few river cruises. Do you not have a favorite? Or is it you can't decide? Tell us why in either case!

Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn, I agree with Nippy Sweetie. I have been on 11 river cruises (Viking, Uniworld, AMA, Gate One and Grand Circle) and I don't have a "favorite". I really don't care who I cruise with as long as I get to see things and have fun. I have only been on one cruise where the water level impacted the cruise, been on two where larger groups have kind of taken over the boat, but neither situation impacted my vacation.

Sharon

in different countries.Such as Russia,Egypt,Portugal,etc. Think some require various regulations.I noticed a difference in SAME company,but different country. Am I correct?Some lease them,others own.Then variety in EACH ship in EACH line also.

Notice that the larger lines also have MORE passengers and thus will vote MORE for that one, so smaller lines may be under represented.

Have been on MOST of the major lines, and trying Scenic next yr.for first time.If I had to choose,would be AMA so far(but with above caution re differences)/;)

We are taking our first RC this coming December on Viking, Paris/Rouen/Paris. After doing many weeks of research, Viking offered the itinerary we were looking for at a price that I was willing to pay. Our DD wanted to be in Pairs around Christmas and this is our graduation gift to her for getting a full scholarship for the past 3 years of college. We are allowing her to bring along her best friend also, so it is a win/win for all involved, :)

Great point. For the most part, the mainstream itineraries -- Rhine, Danube, Seine, Rhone -- are operated by the cruise lines (though they may or may not own the ships). Where the experience can differ is when they put their pax on charters (for instance Avalon is selling American Queen Steamboat on the Mississippi but it's not operating the cruises, American Queen is). Egypt requires all international companies to have an Egyptian partner; this caused Uniworld some heartburn a few years ago with River Tosca. Russia's the same.

It's complicated.

Carolyn

in different countries.Such as Russia,Egypt,Portugal,etc. Think some require various regulations.I noticed a difference in SAME company,but different country. Am I correct?Some lease them,others own.Then variety in EACH ship in EACH line also.

Notice that the larger lines also have MORE passengers and thus will vote MORE for that one, so smaller lines may be under represented.

Have been on MOST of the major lines, and trying Scenic next yr.for first time.If I had to choose,would be AMA so far(but with above caution re differences)/;)

Love that, Squarevanman, that you were one of the oldest! CroisiEurope is beside us today in port in Koblenz, it's the new ship. Looks old school compared to other neighbors (in addition to Avalon Expression there's also Tauck's Swiss Jewel).

Carolyn

Coisieurope for me totally cosmopolitan and at 60 I was one of the oldest on board.