Angelina Lauro, 1939-1979 (Eyewitness account)

Here's the tale of a 24,000-ton lady, a princess, three angels and a baby. It's a sad tale about Angelina Lauro, who met her demise at St.Thomas in 1979. I lived there at the time, and have recorded the event in a detailed eyewitness account. Please use this link to my website for the story and pictures: http://www.chesterh.com/angelina_lauro.htm

s-mar79d.jpg

All the best,

chesterh

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I am glad to have read your story as it gives me a more personal account to what happened to this ship.

I am sitting here at my desk with tears in my eyes reading your story but it is the pictures that sadden me.

I have never seen, been on or have any real affilliation with the Angelina Lauro except she was in Auckland harbour around September 1970 and my mother and grandmother were trying to pick a name for me a new born child.

Mum loved the name on the cruise ship docked in Auckland and so that became my name - Angelina Lauro.

I have never known anything about this ship and thanks to the internet I am now more informed about my name sake.

I use to think my name was stupid and wished for a more common name like Debbie,Michelle or Julie like most other kids I went to school with as Angelina was not common in Auckland but as I became an adult I came to realise what a pretty name I was given.

Thank you for your story and photo's.

Angelina Lauro

We sailed Angelina Lauro in February of 1975 - she was a wonderful old ship - sailed beautifully & had a wonderful interior decor - lots of velvets & tapestry in teh forward lounge - a a lively diningroom - with great Italian food - & teh best crew ever...wonderful special ship....

• 2 months later...

I sailed on this ship late 1968 as a young teenager with my family .We left from Southampton went via Italy & picked up more migrants ....i have so many fond memories it was such an adventure coming to Australia .....most of all the music that was played when we left the various ports we visited ...i am sure my elderly parents still have that old 45 record . my younger sister turned 4 whilst onboard ..she had the best birthday party EVER ....oh such memories ...i have continued to cruise over the years ....

• 4 years later...
I have been trying to read the article, but there is an advertisement that covers a lot of it. Is anyone else having this problem?

Yes, me too, on Google Chrome browser. About maybe a third of the article is 50% blocked by it. You need to check this stuff across several browsers before uploading. I know!

Otherwise, I knew about the ship and fire, I just wish I could read the whole article.

No offense intended. :)

• 1 month later...

and remembered seeing her and others in port.....and seeing it laying aground, scared, and forgotten. Sad, tho much was learned from her. Thanks for your brilliant accounting of the facts.

Edited by luckycruzer

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

for those interested that sailed on her, i have a 45 rpm record for the Angelina Lauro, it's not for sale though as it's in my personal collection, but this is the record with the sleeve showing the ship on it, the record was made in 1969. curious to what former passengers think of it.

angelina_lauro_45_rpm_record_by_wildelf34_dcd3z4h-fullview.thumb.jpg.dbecb8c55659e458bac30b51dea03841.jpg