Viking Prestige; Nurenberg to Budapest; need info

carmelsharon

Never been on a river cruise before; cabin #218, how are accommodations, food, and service? Can I bring wine on board, and is there a corkage fee? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, any recommendations for post cruise hotel and restaurants in Budapest?

Never been on a river cruise before; cabin #218, how are accommodations, food, and service? Can I bring wine on board, and is there a corkage fee? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, any recommendations for post cruise hotel and restaurants in Budapest?

Hi -

Welcome to Cruise Critic!! You have picked a great itinerary for your 1st river cruise....

Can't speak to Viking yet - our 1st cruise with them is in about 90 days. There is usually no issue with bringing wine onboard - and corkage fee would only apply if you wanted to drink the wine in the dining room, or in the bar.

For hotel accommodations in Budapest - there is actually a thread devoted to that here on the forum. Lots of good advice - so perhaps you could search that out.

For restaurants, we really enjoyed Cafe Kor the last time we were in Budapest. Just a word of warning, however... the restaurant is closed on Sundays - and only accepts cash as payment.

Enjoy!!

Fran

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the River Cruise Board!!! Because this board is so small you should go and read the threads on the last three pages of the board.... A wealth of info on the subjects you asked about as well as questions you have not even thought or know enough to ask. Be sure and read threads that don't even seem to apply ( except maybe ones about China/Africa/Russia) all the Europe river cruise threads even ones about companies other than Viking will give you great info on River Cruising in general and what to expect!!

Welcome aboard!

We did this cruise last May on the Viking Odin. It was wonderful. They serve free wine and beer at lunch and dinner but you are welcome to bring your own. There was no limit to the pourings and I was amazed at the cases of empty bottles that were hauled off the ship at the end of our cruise. We LOVED everything about the cruise. The food was excellent and the staff was fabulous. I even got to go to the market with Karl the chef on my birthday. He took about 8 of us and it was such fun! You will have a wonderful time.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings All - this is my first post here on this forum. I too will be taking this same trip in October of this year and this will be our first river cruise. Have added the "pre" Prague thing and the "post" Budapest extension. It will be our 35th wedding anniversary and I am hoping for a special trip this fall. We will be in cabin 224.

Greetings All - this is my first post here on this forum. I too will be taking this same trip in October of this year and this will be our first river cruise. Have added the "pre" Prague thing and the "post" Budapest extension. It will be our 35th wedding anniversary and I am hoping for a special trip this fall. We will be in cabin 224.

Welcome to Cruise critic!!! And, congratulations on your 35th anniversary!!

This is a great trip - I am sure you will enjoy.

One word of advice... take many layers as the weather can be unpredictable.

We did this itinerary in 2009 - but in the other direction. It was shorts and t-shirt weather in Budapest (Oct 3rd) - and it was snowing by the time we hit Prague. I dragged my husband shopping with me to buy a warmer coat!!

Fran

Hi franski - thanks for the advice. Our trip leaves for Prague on Oct. 29 so I am not anticipating needing shorts. Also, we are from Ft. Lauderdale. Although we are looking forward to spending some time in the cool weather, this is something we are not really used to. I am wondering if the warmest jacket I own will be enough. I guess with sweaters and long sleeve shirts underneath maybe it will be. If you dress in layers you can at least peel off some of them if it does get warmer. Ahhh...the cool weather will be nice.

Archived