Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

As most of you know this avatar and "Rolls Royce Lover" belonged to Morey. I hope you guys don't mind if I keep it going in his memory [when I'm home.]

Morey is part of you, you are part of us (whether you like it or not! :p), so don't even think about it, I smile and go "aaah" when I see you use it, so there! :).

Amazing how our dogs [and cats] take such important roles in our lives. Whether they be a Service Dog or a beloved pet, they hold a very important place in our hearts and minds.

Both of mine are getting their Rabies Vaccines next Friday. Which means Brenda will be coming to work with me and Horty. It gives everyone a chance to see her, although she will be going to the groomer before the doctor visit. It gives me a chance to check out their doggie daycare facility while she's having a day at the spa.

Your such a good "mommy" when it comes to your furbabies! I still remember your stories about Reno.

Putting our two into their "hotel" is the worst part of going away. They now know when I say "we're off to see Fred" exactly where they are going. It is so funny, they settle down in the car but as we get nearer they start getting excited, little funny barkettes (ok I made that word up!), and then the car starts bouncing around as we head down the lane to their hotel.

They rush out of the car, into their second home, and then as the door to their pen is shut, they turn round, doggie brain suddenly registers where they are and their expressions are so funny - "Wot's happening, hey you forgot the dogs, hey, hey, hey, bark, bark, bark!" And it happens every time! It's so funny. And of course when we go to collect them, they rush out, push past everyone, forgetting to say "hello" and jump into the car and then refuse point blank to come out again!

They then sleep for about 2 days solid. I think there is so much going on at the kennels, what with barking duties, walkies, fussing with the lovely girls who look after them, checking out the neighbours, room service, that they just do not catnap like they do at home!

I don't like putting them away, but I know they are well looked after as they come home still our dogs, no nasty habits, a bit slimmer (not so many treats), so it's the best option for us. But it is almost like buying another holiday. We pay £24 a day for them both.:eek:

As most of you know this avatar and "Rolls Royce Lover" belonged to Morey. I hope you guys don't mind if I keep it going in his memory [when I'm home.]

You better not stop using it! It is part of you and us. I know Morey approves and is smiling down on us. :D

Do we mind? We wouldn't have it any other way. You know we will support ANY decision you make.

Putting our two into their "hotel" is the worst part of going away. They now know when I say "we're off to see Fred" exactly where they are going. It is so funny, they settle down in the car but as we get nearer they start getting excited, little funny barkettes (ok I made that word up!), and then the car starts bouncing around as we head down the lane to their hotel.

They rush out of the car, into their second home, and then as the door to their pen is shut, they turn round, doggie brain suddenly registers where they are and their expressions are so funny - "Wot's happening, hey you forgot the dogs, hey, hey, hey, bark, bark, bark!" And it happens every time! It's so funny. And of course when we go to collect them, they rush out, push past everyone, forgetting to say "hello" and jump into the car and then refuse point blank to come out again!

They then sleep for about 2 days solid. I think there is so much going on at the kennels, what with barking duties, walkies, fussing with the lovely girls who look after them, checking out the neighbours, room service, that they just do not catnap like they do at home!

I don't like putting them away, but I know they are well looked after as they come home still our dogs, no nasty habits, a bit slimmer (not so many treats), so it's the best option for us. But it is almost like buying another holiday. We pay £24 a day for them both.:eek:

What a great story.

Leaving Brenda in "Doggie Daycare" means leaving her alone because Horty will be going with me but there are the same dogs who will stay with her during the day and she'll have them to look forward to daily. The most difficult will be the evenings, although there will be some dogs who will be staying with her during the night so she won't be alone.

I have time to think about doing this and I may try a day or two before she has a whole week of it, just to get her used to it slowly.

Roz, i was just remembering a few years ago i had a wonderfl dog who i had saved from a shelter. Lamont was a dog that EVER0NE loved but had a severe nervous problem. Anyway, i had t leave him for a reason i can't remember but i looked at several places so everyone knew how nervous i was anyway they liked him so they kept him close to them the whole time i was gone sohe didn't get lonesome. Ask friends and the people you work with and vizit the places. As wonderful as Brenda is i am positive someone will love to have her, but then again you might have to fight to get her back! Lol

Roz' date=' i was just remembering a few years ago i had a wonderfl dog who i had saved from a shelter. Lamont was a dog that EVER0NE loved but had a severe nervous problem. Anyway, i had t leave him for a reason i can't remember but i looked at several places so everyone knew how nervous i was anyway they liked him so they kept him close to them the whole time i was gone sohe didn't get lonesome. Ask friends and the people you work with and vizit the places. As wonderful as Brenda is i am positive someone will love to have her, but then again you might have to fight to get her back! Lol[/quote']

Barbara, as Brenda was aging and Morey and I were watching her do more and more "refusals" we both realized that bringing in a "Successor Dog" was inevitible and we discussed how Brenda would become his pet as I progressed to work more and more with my new dog.

We never thought in a million years that Morey wouldn't be here to be with Brenda, to keep her company and see her through her aging years.

Life sure has a way of throwing mountains in our pathway's and dares us to climb them and keep moving forward.

Well, I've got these two wonderfully, adorable and brilliant dogs to take care of by myself and I'll be damned if either one of them will feel lost or alone....EVER!!!!! I'm going to shower them with love and support and make sure that that their every need is met....I wouldn't have it any other way and, I know, neither would Morey!

Barbara, as Brenda was aging and Morey and I were watching her do more and more "refusals" we both realized that bringing in a "Successor Dog" was inevitible and we discussed how Brenda would become his pet as I progressed to work more and more with my new dog.

We never thought in a million years that Morey wouldn't be here to be with Brenda, to keep her company and see her through her aging years.

Life sure has a way of throwing mountains in our pathway's and dares us to climb them and keep moving forward.

Well, I've got these two wonderfully, adorable and brilliant dogs to take care of by myself and I'll be damned if either one of them will feel lost or alone....EVER!!!!! I'm going to shower them with love and support and make sure that that their every need is met....I wouldn't have it any other way and, I know, neither would Morey!

Morning Roz :)

How true - actually in a way, thank goodness we don't know what's ahead of us! We would all be sitting in a corner wailing. That's why when friends of ours tell us they are way too young to join the "old folk" on a cruise, and that it is something they are going to do when they are 80 as cruising is for old folk! I just think to myself "well more fool you, you might not even make 80! and I couldn't write the rest of what I think! ;) ".

They are both in their early 60's and as we are just a teeny tad younger, can you just imagine my expression when she says this! :eek: I've given up telling her/them how wonderful it is, ah but each to his own.

This past year there have been so many sudden and sad losses that we are determined that we will continue to travel while we can. What is the point of saving and waiting for that "rainy day", as I believe if that day ever comes it will likely bring heartache with it.

So this "old Wifie" will continue to enjoy her travels and particularly her cruises!

And the dogs will continue to enjoy their visits to their "hotel" when we are away!

Doggy hugs to Miss Brenda and BigBoy H and of course to you! :D

Well said, Fairbourne. We are in a funk and are desperately (sp) seeking what we want to do next. We are also early 60's and know that nothing is guaranteed. We must get over this hump and move on. Of course the 10 year old grandson is a priority. What is best for him is number 1 on our list. So, with compromise we will plow on.

Roz: If you chose to move the earth, we would all be behind you with raised arms, shoving. Love you, Brenda and Master Horty to death!

Thanks guys, your support means the world to me!!!!!

Horton is becoming my "hero"! He's so protective over Brenny and me. He won't let anyone pass by our front door without reminding them; "don't come too close, I'm in here and I'm ready to defend my women!" Love that big, bad boy!!!!

Happy week to everyone!

I see that "Sunshines" hubby has had a pretty rough go after his lung transplants and I want her and her man to know that we're all thinking of them and wishing them good health. Our prayers are with you.

Talk about a serious and long recovery. Please know that we wish you easier days ahead.

I know Sunshines dream is to get him on a cruise with her and I hope that that dream comes true for both of them.

Also, Cari should have graduated with her new Seeing Eye Dog.....Congratulations Cari!!!....I'm so sorry that Morey and I didn't get to make it to your graduation but my thoughts and very best wishes for great success with your new "power leader" and restful and easy days ahead for Denver [her retiring SED.]

Please let us all know about any upcoming cruises with your new dog. I know he's a Yellow Lab like your handsome Denver. You must be having so much fun. I know what energy comes with the new Service Dog and it's so much fun to try and keep-up with them.

It's so easy to forget how much our older Service Dogs slowed down everything in our world. Although they sure tried to keep up the pace. I know your life is a busy one.

I see that "Sunshines" hubby has had a pretty rough go after his lung transplants and I want her and her man to know that we're all thinking of them and wishing them good health. Our prayers are with you.

Talk about a serious and long recovery. Please know that we wish you easier days ahead.

I know Sunshines dream is to get him on a cruise with her and I hope that that dream comes true for both of them.

Also, Cari should have graduated with her new Seeing Eye Dog.....Congratulations Cari!!!....I'm so sorry that Morey and I didn't get to make it to your graduation but my thoughts and very best wishes for great success with your new "power leader" and restful and easy days ahead for Denver [her retiring SED.]

Please let us all know about any upcoming cruises with your new dog. I know he's a Yellow Lab like your handsome Denver. You must be having so much fun. I know what energy comes with the new Service Dog and it's so much fun to try and keep-up with them.

It's so easy to forget how much our older Service Dogs slowed down everything in our world. Although they sure tried to keep up the pace. I know your life is a busy one.

Please let her know we are thinking about her and praying for her and Rich.

Roz, I just noticed you are going on the Crown Princess. That is the ship we went on for our Princess cruise! I think it was pretty new when we went on it.

I've never been on the Star or the Crown and I'm looking forward to both.

You know, having these new adventures without my man will be so different....he stopped traveling with me but he was always waiting for me at home to hear what happened and loved to see the pictures.

Please let her know we are thinking about her and praying for her and Rich.

I know she's on Facebook a lot and I [when Morey became very sick] decided I had had enough of Facebook.

Come back Sunshine and tell us how Rich is doing and how are you?

Thanks Nancy for bringing me back into the fold!!! I have actually been thinking about all of you a lot lately.

It has been a very long and hard journey that Rich and I are on. Looks like he will need to officially retire this year at 58 years of age. Still considered "disabled" as we both work so hard to get back to a new normal for us.

He has indeed had multiple complications with the lung transplant, but, I would not trade one moment of the golden time we spend together. After so many years of both working and coming and going it is nice to have quiet time to just hang out with each other

He had a serious set back with pneumonia this winter and spring. After multiple treatment trials it finally seems to be cured. Whew.

He is now in rehab trying to regain his strength. Walked 15 feet yesterday so I am cheering big time. He has lost over 70 lbs and was not a big man to start with. Sadly I have gained almost 30 myself with the crazy life we lead.

I am not fostering any pups at this time, but, understand Mackey is doing well and Cooler is rocking it out on the west coast. Apparently has been on some train rides and recently was in San Franciso.

Working with a big yellow lab that reminds me of Cooler on occasion. He is so funny and a perfect lunch date when I manage to find sometime away from the hospitals.

Thanks Nancy for bringing me back into the fold!!! I have actually been thinking about all of you a lot lately.

It has been a very long and hard journey that Rich and I are on. Looks like he will need to officially retire this year at 58 years of age. Still considered "disabled" as we both work so hard to get back to a new normal for us.

He has indeed had multiple complications with the lung transplant, but, I would not trade one moment of the golden time we spend together. After so many years of both working and coming and going it is nice to have quiet time to just hang out with each other

He had a serious set back with pneumonia this winter and spring. After multiple treatment trials it finally seems to be cured. Whew.

He is now in rehab trying to regain his strength. Walked 15 feet yesterday so I am cheering big time. He has lost over 70 lbs and was not a big man to start with. Sadly I have gained almost 30 myself with the crazy life we lead.

I am not fostering any pups at this time, but, understand Mackey is doing well and Cooler is rocking it out on the west coast. Apparently has been on some train rides and recently was in San Franciso.

Working with a big yellow lab that reminds me of Cooler on occasion. He is so funny and a perfect lunch date when I manage to find sometime away from the hospitals.

Hello Sunshine426

Gosh you and your DH have certainly been through the wringer .... But as you say you wouldn't trade those precious golden moments, and I hope that you both have many, many more precious times together. :)

Sending you best wishes across the water .... And I love your lunch date! :D what is it about big boy labs??? They are just such loving goofy boys! :D I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my daily big goofy boy hug, and I don't mean the DH!!! :eek:

Thanks for letting us know how you both are - and do pass on our best wishes to your DH Rich.

Please give Rich a big, Rozzie-Hug from me.

You're an amazing woman with a wonderful support system. You also have us.

I think about you often and how our lives have changed since we cruised together.....seems like a lifetime ago!

Stay well for yourself and for your family and Rich. Love you!

Sunshine, Sorry to hear of Richs setbacks, but thrilled that he is on the mend. We are all praying he gets well and comes home soon. He is so lucky to have you in his life!!

Cindy