NCL Pearl Crew member killed in Roatan?

mitsugirly

I just got home from work and heard about this. Did anyone else hear what happened?

The only thing I can find about it is HERE. I know this site makes their money off of things like this, but I haven't found anything else to confirm it.

So sad and my heart goes out to the crew members family and the NCL family. :(

The "Events at Sea" site also posted that article. It is probably true. Like anywhere, be aware of your surroundings.

We heard no particulars, was the crew member in a "bad area"? In a public area? Mahogany Bay? Coxen Hole? Outskirts of town?

This is so sad. Prayers for his family, friends and fellow crewmembers........

Comment from the Article

"friend - April 7, 2014 2:50 AM

I am so sad. Jacob is friend and he just worked as a cook for a few months onboard Norwegian Pearl. The gunman shot him twice just because Jaycob refused to give up his handphone. Jacob is only 27 and still has a baby few months old back home in Philippines. May he RIP."

Edited by peg013

Didn't realize those animals could afford bullets down there.

Jacob can remind everyone of an important lesson: never argue with a gunman. Your phone simply isn't worth it. Sounds so cliche, but apparently, it needs to be said.

Sorry to hear this terrible news.

Jacob can remind everyone of an important lesson: never argue with a gunman. Your phone simply isn't worth it. Sounds so cliche, but apparently, it needs to be said.

Sorry to hear this terrible news.

He didn't have chance to give up phone. He was shot by man on bike who shot him twice and grabbed his phone and ran.

Edited by sjnyc323

NCL should consider deleting this port from their schedules. This is not the first problem for crew or passengers in Roatan. A family on a Carnival ship were robbed in January.

The cruise lines discontinued ports in Mexico and the government has stepped up security to bring them back.

NCL should consider deleting this port from their schedules. This is not the first problem for crew or passengers in Roatan. A family on a Carnival ship were robbed in January.

The cruise lines discontinued ports in Mexico and the government has stepped up security to bring them back.

Roatan is one of our favorite ports. Crimes like this can happen any where.

Norwegian is actually moving many port visit to Banana Coast which is in the main part of Honduras... not really sure that is going to be any safer. I just recently returned from the Jewel where our best port of all was Roatan and I took a private excursions and felt totally safe. Of course when ever I travel I always keep my guard up. I do not feel that Roatan is any less safe than say....St Thomas where there have been many assaults on crew and cruise passenger and some being killed. Or as far as that goes how safe is the city of Miami :rolleyes: Sadly things happen no matter where you are. My prayers go out the the NCL Crew Members family sadly he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Crew may need to go in groups in many ports not just Roatan.

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

It is definitely true. Unfortunately, several websites are showing graphic images of his body. Not sure why they feel that is necessary, but it does offer proof that it happened. Horrible for the ship, crew and family of this young man. Just awful...

A NCL crew member has posted "I have received words from our CEO Kevin Sheehan that NCL is cancelling our 3 ships Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Dawn, and Norwegian Jewel port of call to Roatan. Good call, Mr Sheehan! We urge other cruise ship operators such as Carnival and Royal Caribbean to do the same to avoid tragedies like this to happen again."

This is truly sad. Roatan is my favorite port and such a beautiful place. Crime can and does happen anywhere. I hate the thought of missing Roatan. :( I wonder if this is just a temporary thing (since they didn't mention the Sun, which I will be on in November). :confused:

Not sure if it is poor wording, but the above statement doesn't sit right with me.

It sounds like the poster was categorizing all Hondurans as animals. I don't think that is what the poster meant, but it certainly reads that way.

Not sure if it is poor wording, but the above statement doesn't sit right with me.

It sounds like the poster was categorizing all Hondurans as animals. I don't think that is what the poster meant, but it certainly reads that way.

I must agree with you. That post was upsetting and turned me off in a big way.

Edited by halos

If these people want to experience genuine poverty all they need to do is murder a few more cruise ship passengers and they will get their wish in very short order.

My guess is that they stay away from the white tourists and likely preyed on this poor guy because he looked more like an affluent local.

Somewhere a crime boss is going to be very unhappy with this situation.

I read on facebook that a crew member has reported that Kevin Sheehan has pulled his ships from Roatan.

I only hope this is accurate because it is the right thing to do.

I haven't seen any official announcement from NCL. Since I'm leaving on Sunday and I had booked an excursion, it would be great to see something official by NCL. I agree it is the right thing to do as well.