Name Misspelled on birth certificate

My cousin Krystal has been having an issue getting her name corrected on her BC, as it's misspelled Crystal. She presented copies of school records, baptism certificate, pediatric records, DL, and her SS card which all have her name spelled correctly with a K to the town where she was born. They were to send the information to vital statistics in Trenton, NJ. This was in April and she was told it would take 8-12 weeks to get the process completed.

She called Trenton last week, and they never received the documents. So she sent them directly and was told it would take 8-12 weeks. This will cut it really close to our 9/24 sailing.

Has this happened to anyone else and if it's not corrected by our sail date will she having a problem getting on the ship?

Are you close enough to Vital Stats that you can walk it thru? Your cruise docs, have to have the same spelling that is on your BC, DL or passport. We had to do this a couple years ago with someone in our group. Good Luck!!

At this point I would absolutely call Carnival or your travel agent and have her name changed to a "C" on the booking.

Of course she would prefer to sail as Krystal but it's better than not sailing at all.

As soon as she gets back, she should do whatever is necessary to get it fixed on her BC. I also think she should get a passport.

At this point I would absolutely call Carnival or your travel agent and have her name changed to a "C" on the booking.

Of course she would prefer to sail as Krystal but it's better than not sailing at all.

As soon as she gets back, she should do whatever is necessary to get it fixed on her BC. I also think she should get a passport.

Not sure that solves the problem :o! If all of her other ID is Krystal...then she will not have the required photo ID to go with the BC that says Crystal.

OP...have you called Carnival to explain the situation - and ask for clarification and guidance?

I do believe that the BC and the ID have to match the reservation. Not sure the best - or fastest - way to make that happen.....but you definately want to get it taken of.

Not sure that solves the problem :o! If all of her other ID is Krystal...then she will not have the required photo ID to go with the BC that says Crystal.

OP...have you called Carnival to explain the situation - and ask for clarification and guidance?

I do believe that the BC and the ID have to match the reservation. Not sure the best - or fastest - way to make that happen.....but you definately want to get it taken of.

Hmm... you are right... best thing to do would be to call Carnival (or TA) and have them advise you of what to do. I forgot that you need DL when you use a BC. We use a passports so we are not required to show DL.

Make sure they put notes in your account so they can see that you called and asked for advice.

my driver license is Theresa, and that is what al my other stuff says and then I go get my passport and my bc says Teresa so that is what is on my passport when I show my drivers lic it wasn't a problem that it doesn't match my DL

yaaaaa...she will need to get that fixed......if she doesnt she might as well not even show up to the Ship....Homeland Security Laws dictate her BC and DL/Passport match...it sucks but atleast you have time to have her fix it.

This in on the Carnival website fAQ

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-544391

Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) or a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

Just my opinion.... I would present all of this documentation and get a passport issued, even if I had to make an appointment with a passport office. I would be terrified that the BC would not get corrected in time! :eek:

Given the facts as stated, I would say her true name is Crystal with a "C" and not with a "K". I would think she would have to go to court to change the name on her Official Birth Certificate. Just sayin!

Given the facts as stated, I would say her true name is Crystal with a "C" and not with a "K". I would think she would have to go to court to change the name on her Official Birth Certificate. Just sayin!

According to the state of NJ a misspelling is not grounds for a legal name change. You're referred to vital statistics to get it corrected. Just sayin' :)

Are you close enough to Vital Stats that you can walk it thru? Your cruise docs, have to have the same spelling that is on your BC, DL or passport. We had to do this a couple years ago with someone in our group. Good Luck!!

It's a 90 min drive to Trenton and they advised over the phone the documentation must be mailed. But I think it's worth a trip up there anyway.

Just my opinion.... I would present all of this documentation and get a passport issued, even if I had to make an appointment with a passport office. I would be terrified that the BC would not get corrected in time! :eek:

This is an excellent idea. I suggest she meet with someone at the passport office.

Would it be possible for her to present the BC and have her driver's license changed to match? For all they know, the DL is incorrect and the BC is correct. Just a thought!

That might be an easier option. I just sent her the information for our regional passport agency to see if they'll issue her a passport with all her documentation. I'll also look into the process of changing her license at least until the birth certificate is corrected.

Years ago I had a client who booked a cruise with the first name "Stephen". I helped him order an expedited birth certificate through VitalChek. When it arrived, name was spelled "Steven". This gentleman had gone through school, served in the military, owned property, had a driver's license all with name spelled (same as his father and grandfather) "Stephen". VitalChek and whatever borough it was in NYC both stated that birth certificate was spelled correctly. So he had to very quickly get a new driver's license with the wrong name so he could board the ship. Carnival, as a courtesy under the circumstances, changed the spelling on the booking. When he returned, Stephen had to get his name legally corrected to what it was supposed to be in the first place.

Would it be possible for her to present the BC and have her driver's license changed to match? For all they know, the DL is incorrect and the BC is correct. Just a thought!

Years ago I had a client who booked a cruise with the first name "Stephen". I helped him order an expedited birth certificate through VitalChek. When it arrived, name was spelled "Steven". This gentleman had gone through school, served in the military, owned property, had a driver's license all with name spelled (same as his father and grandfather) "Stephen". VitalChek and whatever borough it was in NYC both stated that birth certificate was spelled correctly. So he had to very quickly get a new driver's license with the wrong name so he could board the ship. Carnival, as a courtesy under the circumstances, changed the spelling on the booking. When he returned, Stephen had to get his name legally corrected to what it was supposed to be in the first place.

hmmmm.....New Jersey has a 6pt ID requirement and all her other ID has K, so it doubt we'd be able to change the license to C since it matches nothing she has.

This in on the Carnival website fAQ

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=travel+documentation#q-544391

Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) or a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo ID) must be presented.

since it says identical. I think overall she will be fine and allowed to the board ship. It is only one letter difference, name still has the same meaning. And the cruise port is typically not as strict as the TSA/airports

If you have to fly to the ship, then change it since the TSA is more strict about this stuff

since it says identical. I think overall she will be fine and allowed to the board ship. It is only one letter difference, name still has the same meaning. And the cruise port is typically not as strict as the TSA/airports

If you have to fly to the ship, then change it since the TSA is more strict about this stuff

I hope so. I'm going to call my PVP tomorrow. Ironically, she forgot her birth certificate at home during the chaos of my wedding cruise in May 09 and she was able to sail without it. She had her license and there was a group of us.

Being a Jersey gal my self all I can say yup that's Jersey for you. That is why I call my home-state the armpit of America, LOL

Anyway, weigh the option .. 90 minute drive or getting turned away at the pier? 90 minute drive or getting turned away at the pier? Yes I will take the 90 minute drive.

Good Luck on your endeavor. She might want to bring mother or father along if possible. NJ Morris County had misspelled my youngest daughters name .. she was suppose to be Marie and ended up Maria .. we just left it and now she loves it going by Ria, LOL

I think it would be a huge mistake to show up at the port and hope for the best. The cruise ports have the same requirements as airlines, they are not more lenient.

No one wants to get turned away at the last moment.

I can't say what the best course of action would be. If it was me, I'd get a passport using the birth certificate and go with the passport (or have her cruise ticket changed to match her birth certificate). She won't need any ID other than a passport and it should not matter if the credit card is mispelled. The cruise ticket and her official ID should all match up.

The best advice won't come from here though because we are all speculating, she needs to find out for sure what she needs to do before arriving at the port.

Yes, unless Mom & Dad have a copy of the original b/c application showing the spelling with a K or caught the mistake upon receiving the b/c shortly after Krystals birth, I believe her legal name IS INDEED Crystal with a C... The weird part is how she was able to get her ss card & DL using the K instead of the C, ODD..

I wish my name was spelled Debra & not Deborah, but thats what my b/c says...:rolleyes:

The OPs cousin could take her b/c along with the rest of her 6 points to the DMV & have the DL corrected to the Crystal with a C & problem solved, at least as far as boarding the ship. :)

EDIT**AH, just saw the other posts suggesting the same as I did & OP says it wont work.. Again then, HOW did she get her DL in the first place if the b/c uses a C??

Archived