Things to do at the Pier

At Sea 4Ever

When we were there last year we had a little time in the port before our tour so we stopped for a drink and DH had the local beer, Belikan. It was pretty good according to him. We also went through a few shops. If you like hot sauce, pick up some Marie Sharps. It's made there and it is very good. This year we plan to spend a little more time at the chocolate shop learning how they make it and sampling some and then having lunch at one of the many places to eat.

Is it fenced because the surrounding town is that unsafe?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Practically all ports have a private area with shops and fences around them to keep locals from coming in and selling things taking business away from the shops there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that cruisers returning from a stop in Belize, some time experience a longer time going thru customs because of illegal drugs. So perhaps outside the fence, not on tour could be risky. I might venture, tho. :-)

Belize is fine. I hate to say it but I think for many people Belize is the first time in their life where they are the absolute minority around black people and it isn't racism but just human nature to feel uncomfortable. We had zero issues walking out of the port area fences and down the side roads into Belize. We skipped buying stuff inside and found some beautiful goods for about half price outside. We even ate the most delicious, ripe cold papaya peeled and sliced from a vendor. Of course people approached offering us items but a smile and no thank you worked every time. We did see armed police and security all over the place but many places in Europe do the same thing. This is a great port to people watch, wander around (using common sense) and hang out. But if you want an excursion you will be traveling, and if you are just going to hang out it is a different experience than the really built up ports.

Regarding safety: Years ago, like 2007, Belize had some really big problems with safety and tourists. It was not my first cruise and we ventured off the ship, outside the fence, looking for the museum.

I posted to a thread on this back then, and you can read some of it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=625917

My experience is post #14.

Fast forward a few years... . We returned and did an excursion two years ago that went incredibly well, and I didn't feel unsafe at all. The government of Belize did a really good job in cleaning up that port area and I did not notice any of the chaos I saw on my first trip.

I will probably leave the fenced area to do some shopping and I don't think I will encounter what I did back in 2007.

We always go outside the port area in Belize City. You can get dollar Belekins and lots of fun stuff. I got my toenails painted there for $5 (my stuff). I Love Belize City and the country of Belize. We would like to retire there. We have snorkeled the reef, toured Belize City in a pony cart and took at taxi to the Belekin Brewery and had a ball (we were the only two visitors)!

We went outside the fence to the local crafts market. The local crafts are cheaper outside the fence. I love the hot sauce, Marie Sharp's, and I found the price is the same inside as outside the fence. We did not do any excursions, just visited the shops, did the chocolate tour, ate lunch and visited the crafts market. I never felt unsafe or worried. There were several other tourists walking around with us, and lots of tourists at the crafts market. You go out the gate, turn left and walk a couple of blocks. You do have to walk through a few people trying to sell tours, but otherwise no problems.

FFWOMAN: We are doing VIsion of the Seas and we are tendering into Belize. Is the chocolate place on the pier before you go to the tender? Any tips on tours, etc for Belize would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

JollyTammy Which cruise line did you take? Did you tender or dock there directly. any tips.

Belize is a tender port for all ships; if you wake a couple of hours before port arrival you can watch the ship zig zag its way through the reef. It takes about 15 minutes by tender to get ashore.

Belize is a wonderful port, for many reasons. First, there is the snorkeling and diving. Second, they have beautiful ruins. Third they offer the cave tubing. I could go on and on, but you can see from the wide variety of shore excursions offered there is much to do and see. And for Americans, it is an "easy" port because everyone speaks English.

I am booking a private excursion - water based, that is is the morning. Our ship does not leave until 6 pm. Otherwise, I would book through the cruiseline because I don't want to miss that ship!