Are cruises ever cancelled for lack of sales?

doublin9

We are booked on the August 2, 2015 Constellation Mediterranean cruise and see a lot of cabins still open on Travelocity. Anyone ever have a cruise cancelled for lack of cruisers?

Not that I know if. August is a long way off, and if the sales don't pick up, Celebrity will probably drop the prices.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The only cancellations I have heard of are for charters or maintenance. They're not likely to charter the ship at this late date. If there are not many booked as it gets closer to sailing, you might see some price reductions or you might be able to get a better cabin for very little extra. Enjoy your cruise.

You would be amazed (appalled?) about how close in to cruises they sometimes will do a charter from what I have occasionally read on these boards. It happened to me about four months ahead of time (years ago). But it is not very common.

I have never heard of any other cruises cancelled for any other reason than maintenance and then only if the ship were to be having a significant issue.

It is not uncommon to have a lot of rooms available that far out. Heck, there are quite a few cabins still available on my early March sailing. So far that has not generated any fare drops unfortunately.

I doubt you have a thing to worry about. Dream on and happy sailing.

We are booked on the August 2, 2015 Constellation Mediterranean cruise and see a lot of cabins still open on Travelocity. Anyone ever have a cruise cancelled for lack of cruisers?
They won't cancel the cruise due to slow sales, but as the sailing gets closer, they will use promos and/or lower fares to increase sales activity. Just about every cruise sails full or nearly full. Like empty seats on an airline, an empty stateroom on a cruise ship is a wasted revenue opportunity so it just doesn't happen if the travel provider's load management is doing its job.

Thus, I strongly recommend you regularly track fares on your stateroom category so you can take advantage of fare drops. And if slow sales persist in advance of your final payment, and if you are willing to take a small risk for potentially a big financial windfall, then I would even cancel the booking and rebook when the lower fares and/or promos happen 14-60 days out. Good luck!

Edited by Terpnut

They won't cancel the cruise due to slow sales, but as the sailing gets closer, they will use promos and/or lower fares to increase sales activity. Just about every cruise sails full or nearly full. Like empty seats on an airline, an empty stateroom on a cruise ship is a wasted revenue opportunity so it just doesn't happen if the travel provider's load management is doing its job.

Thus, I strongly recommend you regularly track fares on your stateroom category so you can take advantage of fare drops. And if slow sales persist in advance of your final payment, and if you are willing to take a small risk for potentially a big financial windfall, then I would even cancel the booking and rebook when the lower fares and/or promos happen 14-60 days out. Good luck!

Question - in the past we have been told that you cannot cancel a cruise, and then rebook the same cruise and apply a 'new bookings only' promotion (which most of them are). Have not tried it in a long time. Has it changed so that you can do that now?

Question - in the past we have been told that you cannot cancel a cruise, and then rebook the same cruise and apply a 'new bookings only' promotion (which most of them are). Have not tried it in a long time. Has it changed so that you can do that now?

As long as you are not within the cancellation timeframe, 90 or 75 days before cruise, there is nothing to stop you from cancelling without penalty. Be wary, some travel agencies have their own cancellation fees. Once the cruise has been cancelled, you no longer have a cruise, then re-book. You will then book as a "new booking".

As long as you are not within the cancellation timeframe, 90 or 75 days before cruise, there is nothing to stop you from cancelling without penalty. Be wary, some travel agencies have their own cancellation fees. Once the cruise has been cancelled, you no longer have a cruise, then re-book. You will then book as a "new booking".
What he said. :D

This date is right in the middle of the peak holiday season for Europe, so I strongly doubt the sailing will be pulled (whether with further incentives or not). January/February timeframe is when many people start turning their thoughts to summer holidays, after Christmas is over, and they are beginning to experience the long, cold winter months :).

For our August sailing, over the last week or so, we have had a few new posters joining, yet it's been quiet for several months ;).

Cancelling and rebooking may be an option if booked if the US, but remember in some other parts of the world e.g.UK, you would lose your deposits if you cancelled your reservation at any time, whether before or after final payment ;).

This date is right in the middle of the peak holiday season for Europe, so I strongly doubt the sailing will be pulled (whether with further incentives or not). January/February timeframe is when many people start turning their thoughts to summer holidays, after Christmas is over, and they are beginning to experience the long, cold winter months :).

For our August sailing, over the last week or so, we have had a few new posters joining, yet it's been quiet for several months ;).

Cancelling and rebooking may be an option if booked if the US, but remember in some other parts of the world e.g.UK, you would lose your deposits if you cancelled your reservation at any time, whether before or after final payment ;).

Hello,

A couple of years ago RCI cancelled their 18 night 'Ultimate Mediterranean' cruises on the Independence with only a couple of months notice and replaced them with 3 x Canaries. PAX already booked had the option of transferring their bookings to the new bookings or getting refunds.

Regards,

Cublet

This was back in the early 2000s soon after 9/11 and was on a 4 day cruise (not Celebrity) out of New Orleans. For this cruise they actually did not use a total deck of cabins. It was the lowest level deck of cabins. Whether this was planned for some reason or they did not sell the cabins, I never really could get a good answer.

Been on a lot cruises since then and even before that cruise, ships have always been very near (a little over or under) or at capacity. If you are worried just keep your eye on the price of the cruise.

Hello,

A couple of years ago RCI cancelled their 18 night 'Ultimate Mediterranean' cruises on the Independence with only a couple of months notice and replaced them with 3 x Canaries. PAX already booked had the option of transferring their bookings to the new bookings or getting refunds.

Regards,

Cublet

Yes, you are correct, and as I recall they did it because they could make more money from 'splitting' the time between the three cruises rather than having an 18 night sailing and not because of lack of sales (very rare for RCI to have a Med cruise over 14 nights). Was it not later in the year though? Can't remember it being in August :confused:?

Edited by villauk

Yes, you are correct, and as I recall they did it because they could make more money from 'splitting' the time between the three cruises rather than having an 18 night sailing and not because of lack of sales (very rare for RCI to have a Med cruise over 14 nights). Was it not later in the year though? Can't remember it being in August :confused:?

Hello,

No they spanned Christmas and the New Year. It did not go down well as people wanting to be away for both now had to book two cruises.

I think, but am not sure, Cunard blocked booking on a whole category of cabin for a 'shake-down' post refurbishment cruise (not quite the same thing I'll admit).

Regards,

Cublet

How would they cancel a cruise due to low sales? The ship still has to sail it cant just sit in port. She has her whole year planned out for her .What is she going to sit in port until she gets enough guest to fill her up:eek:

I don't think we can compare one long 18-day specialized cruise with a short 7-day, peak-season Greek Isles cruise. The former has a very very limited number of potential customers while the latter could be sold to nearly anyone. However the bottom line is that cruise lines rarely cancel cruises because you have an expensive fixed asset (i.e. huge multi-billion dollar cruise ship) with lots of fixed costs (crew, fuel, etc.) that cost the line regardless of whether it sails or not. So I would think it would take extremely low demand for a cancellation to happen.

Edited by Terpnut

Thank you, again, for your confidence in our sail. I definitely will look for further reductions. Actually, just changed from the Concierge to Veranda cabin as we were able to get the 1,2,3 all inclusive for the veranda. It was a $600 reduction for a great location so we took it! The TA handled it with no extra charge. We paid an exorbitant (imho) amount of money for our premium airline seats and will be spending some pricey days in Paris and Venice as well, so every little bit helps!

Guess the correct answer would be "sometimes." And having a good cruise agent (agency) can be very helpful.

Hank