D-Day Beaches and Bayeux Tapestry Celebrity Excursion

red919

Hi,

I am considering the ship's D-Day Beaches excursion from Le Havre while on my upcoming Celebrity transatlantic cruise. Has anyone reading this been on this particular excursion and can give some input, positive or negative? Am also considering the ship's D-Day Beaches and Bayeux Tapestry excursion and wanted to know the same. I believe Royal Caribbean uses the same tour companies so if anyone has done one while on one of their ships, it would be helpful as well.

Please keep in mind I am NOT asking about private tour companies but only excursions booked through the given cruise lines.

Thanks!

Edited by red919

Nearly all the cruise lines contract through the same shore-based providers. The tour you are considering will be on a large bus (or multiple buses) and take you to see the tapestry in Bayeaux and probably also get you to Omaha Beach, Pont du Hok, and hopefully let you see the American Cemetery (which was used for the opening scene from Saving Private Ryan). Since you are only considering cruise line excursions, it is what it is and if those are the sites you want to see.....go for it!

Hank

...Since you are only considering cruise line excursions, it is what it is and if those are the sites you want to see.....go for it!

Hank

I never said I was ONLY considering cruise line excursions. I simply wanted to hear from someone who had been on one of the excursions mentioned. There are already many threads about private excursions and although I'm sure you thought you were being very helpful, that is not what I asked and there is no need to belittle those who might have enjoyed them and now have chosen not to comment.

OP: besides posting here, I would suggest you also ask your question on the Celebrity board (and perhaps the RCCL board).

Have a great cruise; seeing the D-Day sites was an amazing and moving experience. I recommend watching (or re-watching) "The Longest Day" before you go. A little cheesy by today's standards, but great history and you'll appreciate your visit even more.

Thanks, Turtles06. Good advice to post on other boards. Just googled it and will definitely watch "The Longest Day". I'm on episode three of "Band of Brothers" on HBO which is really good but read that "The Longest Day" offers more of what happened on the beaches. Looking forward to it.

Thanks again! :)

I have not been on the specific excursion you indicate, but it would seem to me that doing the D-Day sites and the Bayeux tapestry all in one excursion is trying to do too much too quickly. I thought the tapestry was surprisingly fascinating, but it would take too much quality time away from the D-Day sites which you would want to see (and which, IMO, are THE thing to see in that area).

I have not been on the specific excursion you indicate, but it would seem to me that doing the D-Day sites and the Bayeux tapestry all in one excursion is trying to do too much too quickly. I thought the tapestry was surprisingly fascinating, but it would take too much quality time away from the D-Day sites which you would want to see (and which, IMO, are THE thing to see in that area).

Thanks, I was kind of thinking that too and might wait to see the tapestry on another trip.