New York restaurants??

ACCagent

I've received lots of good transportation info on here now I'd like to know some of your favirite CASUAL restaurants in Manhattan. We'll just need a spot for a Saturday night dinner. I've no desire to spend a ton but just want good food. Maybe Itallian? Somewhere more locals would prefer. Not a chain but more of a neighborhood restaurant. Any place you can suggest?

Aleo - 20th Street between 5th and 6th Aves www.aleorestaurant.com

Italian/Med. Peter - owner.

Notaro - 2nd Ave, between 34th and 35th St. Tuscan Italian. No website.

Excellent review in Zagat Guide. 212-686-3400 Angelo - owner.

Both of these are favorites of ours. Notaro is a little less pricey than Aleo. I would describe Notaro as moderately priced and Aleo as high moderate.

But food is a little better at Aleo with a better wine selection.

Favorites in my neighborhood for Casual Italian: Becco (355 W 46th ST), Cara Mia (654 9th Ave), Amarone 686 9th Ave). Formal but wonderful: Barbetta (321 W 46th ST). All these are near each other. You will find many more on 9th Ave between 44th and 57th, plus Greek, Turkish, Afghani, Yemeni, Jamaican, etc. etc.

Favorite in my neighborhood for Casual French: Chez Napoleon (365 W 50th ST)

Thanks for everyone's help. A couple of friends have suggested two places also. Chez Josephine and Trattoria Trecolori. Any thoughts on those? I know that food is so subjective but it does help to have some ideas. I appreciate the suggestions.

We'll be at the Warwick but can go most anywhere as I plan to cover a lot of territory in a fairly short time!

I love Chez Josephine www.chezjosephine.com but since you mentioned italian, I stuck with that. Chez Josephine, obviously is french.

The whole place is a very kitschy and warm tribute to owner, Jean-Claude's adoptive Mother, Josephine Baker - who was a wonderful woman and adopted many children.

I've eaten there many times and and recommend it.

I've never heard of the other place you mentioned. I looked it up in Zagat and it's not listed, so I can't give you any feedback on it. Sorry.

If you like french and are in the West Village, I like Jarnac on Greenwich and 12th Streets. http://www.Jarnacny.com It's very small and many people don't know it.

If you're in the East Village or the Lower East Side, I like 26 Seats on 10th Street and Ave B http://www.26seats.com Another very small (seats 26!) french spot that many people don't know about. Very reasonably priced.

Just got back from NY and would second the rcommendations for Becco. We made our reservations one month in advance so try to make them as early as you can. Food and ambiance were great. Also check out the restaurant next to our hotel (Casablanca Hotel on 43rd St.) Tony's de Napoli.

KathiB

Jane,

What I liked about Tony's di Napoli was the decor, ambiance and the selection of food. I had an excellent ceasar salad at the bar one night. The place was packed at 10:30pm with both locals and tourists. There seemed to be very few really good restaurants right in Times Square and this one, adjacent to the Casablanca Hotel, is 1/2 blocks away.

I realise resataurant row on 46th street probably has better places but this seemed like a great place especially if you are staying right in Times Square. I wish we had discovered it earlier in our trip.

Kathi

Archived