Is a balcony worth the extra money?

cat9661

For me, yes. I love being able to go out on the balcony in the morning still in my PJ's and watch the ship pull into port. Then in the afternoon, when I get back to my cabin, I shower and put on a robe (or back in my PJs) and relax on the balcony while the breeze helps to dry my hair, LOL!

If you are of the mindset "My room is just for me to sleep in" then the balcony would probably be a waste of money.

We are thinking of cruising from Norfolk to the Bahamas on the Glory, never been on a cruise before is the balcony worth 700.00 more?

Thanks

Just a suggestion: for first cruise, why not save the extra $700 and just go for an oceanview cabin to see if you like cruising. On your next one, go for the balcony depending upon how much usage you think you'll get out of it. We use our balcony a lot and always pay the extra, others feel it isn't worth the extra cost. Regardless, enjoy your cruise-know you will. :)

A balcony is a wonderful thing. You can sit out there and enjoy the amazing sight of the sea slipping quickly aft, the way the water is forced into foam by the bow of the ship... Stunning stuff.

But, as you've never been on a cruise you can't miss what you don't know. There's plenty of open areas on deck where you can hang out at the rail and enjoy the same sights. I'd say save the $700 for fun stuff on board.

:)

Heck YES!:p The first time you see the sun set over the water from YOUR balcony you will be hooked. You being able to not leave you room and read or just watch the water. If you smoke, you dont have to walk far. It has so many benefits that you wont question it next time! try it once and if you POSTIVELY ABSOLUTELY hate it (doubt it) than you wont have to do it again:)

We're sailing the western Caribbean on the Dream in late July....we just booked it a week ago and the price for a balcony was only $20 more per person than the ocean view cabins....and interior cabins for 3 weren't even available! So I guess it was an easier choice for us. I don't think i'd pay $700 more....too many other things I could do with that money on the cruise. :)

You can smoke in an inside cabin, but you wont want to....

We had a balcony on our first two cruises and thought , wow, this is wonderful I will never sail without a balcony. But then I got real. I could afford to sail a whole lot more without a balcony. For 700 $ I could do some great shore excursions!

So, first cruise, no don't worry about it, if you get hooked then try one. I have done two porthole cabins and I do not get claustraphobic(which i do) in them. I do not think I would want a cabin with no natural light coming in, but if it's the difference of 700 and there was no other choice, I would take the interior. Cruise Happy.

The only way you'll ever know is if you try one. You may not like your first cruise because you didn't have one, or, you might enjoy it more if you did. You'll never know.

Our first was an ocean view. Our second was a balcony on the Empress Deck. We said we'd never go back to an ocean view. Our third, we paid for a balcony on the Empress Deck and got upgraded to a blacony on the Panorama Deck. Now we'll never go lower. Yes it costs more but to us, it's worth it. Like one other poster said, we'd rather do what we want and do it less than do more and enjoy them less. But that's us.

There are a few things that I would suggest to consider....

1- Is it worth $700 to me certainly not, maybe $250 but that is all I would pay extra for a balcony as I never use it. Last year on the Fascination I had balcony cabin not think I spent more than 12 minutes on it in the entire cruise!

2- If you smoke then I say definately get the balcony

3-Do you think you will spend time in your cabin sitting out in the balcony? For me I not want to be in my stateroom only to sleep, shower and dress.

4- I have heard many that not smokers to complain about people next to them, below or above them that have balcony cabins also to smell their smoke.

5- I not want to hear people outside on the balcony late at night when I sleeping or early morning.

6- If you want to take a nap on the chair in the balcony and your into naps I say it be very nice.

Hate to say it, but I'd rather take 1 balcony cruise a year, then 2 non balcony cruises. A suite, or spa room - not important to me -a balcony, mandatory..

We feel the exact same way. We go one step further-we have to be on the Lido Deck. (Except for Spirit class, since there are no cabins on the Lido Deck.)

What could be better than sitting on the balcony first thing in the morning, when, "knock, knock": here comes our complimentary room service breakfast. We eat on the balcony watching the sea go by or watching the port come in.

I have read many different opinions. We use our balcony a lot, so it is worth it to us. We also enjoy our bright, sunny cabin. Others have written that they are hardly ever in their cabins, so an inside is good enough. I wonder if they had a balcony, would they spend more time in their cabins? Curious minds want to know.

We too started with an ocean view on our first cruise, moved to a balcony on our next two, and now are looking forward to an "aft wrap" balcony on our upcoming cruise. They are especially great for quiet times when you just want to sit and relax for a little while. We love to have breakfast on the balcony and late afternoon drinks/snacks. I never get tired of the view, and it's especially great as you sail in and out of ports. Just not the same when you are looking out a cabin window.

We are thinking of cruising from Norfolk to the Bahamas on the Glory, never been on a cruise before is the balcony worth 700.00 more?

Thanks

Depends if you use it. I enjoy mornings and evening time b4 bed. Great place for Cigars and ?

Thanks for all the replies still unsure just to let u know the price difference is between inside and balcony so we could go in between we do not smoke and the smell bothers me so if u can smell it on the balcony I probably would't go out there much.

We were upgraded on our very first cruise from an OV to a balcony......we are now hooked. We too, would not travel any other way now....however, it has never been a price differential of $700 for a balcony?? Can't tell someone else how to spend their money, but for us, it has only been balconies on every cruise and worth every cent to us!

I love going out on the balcony to eat a breakfast, watch the sites, just to take a nap. I usually book interiors or OCV, and then upgrade to a balcony. if it's economocally feasible. Our last cruise we only used the balcony to take pictures pulling into and out of the ports, so next time around we'd probably do an interior or OCV, unless the price was right.

Archived