Can I see Lisbon in 1 day?

Hi everyone :)

Our cruise ends in Lisbon and our flight back to the USA leaves at 6:00am the next day .............question is, can we see Lisbon in 1 day or should we postpone our flight by a day?

So, this means, what are the must sees??

Thank you!!!

Jennifer

Our cruise ends in Lisbon and our flight back to the USA leaves at 6:00am the next day .............question is, can we see Lisbon in 1 day or should we postpone our flight by a day?

Thank you!!!

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

You can see any place in 1 day, but have you really seen it? There is a lot to see and do in Lisbon, and in 1 day you will get a flavor if it.

But first some logistics. You say "flight back to the USA leaves at 6:00am the next day". The first flight to the USA is the United flight, at about 10:15. Is that your flight, and you are planning on a 6 a.m. wake-up from you hotel? Or are you on the dreaded 6 a.m. Lufthansa connection through Munich? Makes a big difference for your night activities.

Claudia's suggestion of a fado night is excellent, but be aware that fado is a late night activity, probably not ending before 1 a.m., even later in some of the best venues. If you have a 6 a.m. departure, requiring you to be at the airport at 5 a.m., there won't be much time to sleep and you need to plan this our carefully (then again, no one on that Munich flight is very awake, so you'd fit right in).

As for daytime activities, I suppose you would first need to get rid of your luggage and check in to your hotel, which will take some time in the morning. Or are you just going to take the luggage to the airport and live the night?

What are your interests and budget? Higher budget: private tour, as you can direct what you will see and will not waste time. Lower budget: HOHO/metro/trams, but you have to plan better. Highlights are the Belem area, the castle and its hill, and riding the trams. But there is lots more to see or do, depending on your interests. What are your interests?

Well, you can certainly see one days worth in one day :) This city is certainly worth a few days for not just what is in Lisbon, but also for the surrounding region. There are cities like Sintra and Cascais and also some very interesting sites in towards the north such as Fatima and Obidos. We have spent many wonderful days (with a rental car) just exploring the region. I should add that Sintra (within a half hour by train or car) is a UNESCO World Heritage City worth at least a half day visit.

Hank

We are on Delta points that the flight leaves at 6:00am to the west coast via CDG.............dropping bags at hotel and then sightseeing.

We had to choose either pre sightseeing days in Barcelona or post sightseeing days in Lisbon so we choose Barcelona for the extra time away ........that is why we have just the one day to see Lisbon :(

Hard to do it all when you have just 3 weeks time to be away and most of that is on the cruise.........next time!

If you could possibly squeeze 1 more day in Lisbon, I would. Beautiful city.

If you can't though, definitely do your homework before you go, so that you can get in as much as you can without wasting time on directions etc.

Would you post more about the Fado show? Where is it, etc.? We are arriving in Lisbon a day ahead of our cruise and I am interested in it.

Would you post more about the Fado show?

By popular demand, here goes...

Fado shows in Lisbon happen in restaurants in the older neighborhoods, mostly Alfama and Bairro Alto. In Alfama the restaurants are smaller and the fado more authentic. In Bairro Alto they tend to be more touristy. There are exceptions, of course. Not every place in Alfama has good fado, nor every restaurant in Bairro Alto is a tourist trap. And there are shows outside these neighborhoods too.

Alfama is a very old neighborhood on a hill leading up to the castle, and close to the cruise ship terminal of Santa Apolónia. Narrow, steep streets, some with steps, many of them too narrow for even a car. For that reason, you will find few tour groups there, as tour buses can't get through to most places. If you go to Alfama, allow yourself time to walk around and just wander the streets before finding your fado restaurant, as most likely a taxi won't be able to drop you off right in front anyway. And when leaving, make sure you are walking down the correct side of the hill towards your ship (or hotel), or you could end up on the other side of the city.

Bairro Alto is another old neighborhood, though not as old. It is more trendy and fashionable. Narrow streets, but not as narrow or as steep as Alfama's. Most streets are closed to traffic by regulation, not by actual physical limitation, and taxis, tour buses and residents get exemptions from some restrictions and can drive and park, although still somewhat limited. Bairro Alto is not real close to any cruise terminal (2 or 3 km).

The fado evening starts around 8 or 9 p.m. with dinner. This is a long, slow dinner. Enjoy it. In the best venues the dining room will be small, with tables close together, leaving little room for personal space. If you find yourself in a large restaurant with a stage for fado, it's a tourist trap. Fado performers (groups of one singer and two or three guitarists) start coming in around 9:30 or 10, and will perform throughout the night, until about 2 a.m. They will find a corner in the room, or a space between tables, and perform right there. There is no stage, no props, no light show, no audio system.

Because of the small size of the good restaurants, reservations are a must, wherever you go. Especially if you have a specific date in mind, as cruisers often do.

Also because of the small size, with few patrons having to cover the cost of the performers, prices are kinda high. Kinda high by Portuguese standards, but fairly reasonable by central and northern European standards. Expect to pay 40-60€ per person, including the meal.

I know you are going to ask about specific restaurants. Obligatory disclaimer: I have only been to a few, and none recently, so I speak from word of mouth and not recent personal experience. Check the boards for recent personal experiences. But I called friends with some recent experiences, and here you go. In Alfama, try Clube de Fado (on the opposite side of the hill from the Santa Apolónia cruise terminal), Sr. Fado (on the cruise ship side of the hill), or Casa de Linhares (bigger, bordering on tourist trap but still good). In Lapa (a residential neighborhood I did not mention above, closer to the Alcântara cruise terminal), try Senhor Vinho, a restaurant owned by a fado singer that comes highly recommended. All come well recommended, and all cater to foreign visitors while still being genuine.

And remember: reservations, Reservations, RESERVATIONS.

Looking for a deal on fado? Look for festivals and competitions. My local municipality sponsors fado performances on summer Thursday evenings for 1€. A lot of the time they are actually quite good, and when they're not, well, it was only 1€ and an evening with friends, so all is good. In Coimbra, student competitions and impromptu performances are also cheap or free. But these are options for locals, not real practical for cruisers who will be in town for one night or two and can't count on finding these.

Well, you can certainly see one days worth in one day :) This city is certainly worth a few days for not just what is in Lisbon, but also for the surrounding region. There are cities like Sintra and Cascais and also some very interesting sites in towards the north such as Fatima and Obidos. We have spent many wonderful days (with a rental car) just exploring the region. I should add that Sintra (within a half hour by train or car) is a UNESCO World Heritage City worth at least a half day visit.

Hank

If Lisbon is a port day and we are in only from 7AM to 7PM what would you suggest?

If Lisbon is a port day and we are in only from 7AM to 7PM what would you suggest?

My quick suggestion would be to invest in a decent guide book like Rick Steves because you will have to pick and choose. The biggest decision would be whether to spend your entire day in Lisbon or whether you want to go out of the city to Sintra (for at least half the day). There is no right or wrong....it is just personal preference. You also can make good use of the info at: http://www.golisbon.com/sight-seeing/ where you will find enough ideas for a week!

Regarding Fado (mentioned in several posts)...many of the Fado places have become major tourist traps and do not even have very authentic Fado. Our personal favorite Fado spot is called Senor Vinho which, although somewhat of a touristy place, at least has excellent Fado. This particular Fado restaurant is actually owned by some Fado singers and if you get lucky you could see some pretty major Fado singers (its luck because the singers vary from day to day). Dinner and the show at this restaurant will cost you at least 50 Euros (they offer a set menu at that price) although you could easily spend more if you order ala carte. Unlike a lot of the tourist traps used by tours, Senor Vinho actually has pretty decent food (not great...but decent). There is no real stage and the Fado singers are at one side of the restaurant. Reservations for this place are a must....and you will also see plenty of Portugese in this small place. The good news is that none of the larger tour buses go to this place :)

Hank

My quick suggestion would be to invest in a decent guide book like Rick Steves because you will have to pick and choose. The biggest decision would be whether to spend your entire day in Lisbon or whether you want to go out of the city to Sintra (for at least half the day). There is no right or wrong....it is just personal preference. You also can make good use of the info at: http://www.golisbon.com/sight-seeing/ where you will find enough ideas for a week!

Regarding Fado (mentioned in several posts)...many of the Fado places have become major tourist traps and do not even have very authentic Fado. Our personal favorite Fado spot is called Senor Vinho which, although somewhat of a touristy place, at least has excellent Fado. This particular Fado restaurant is actually owned by some Fado singers and if you get lucky you could see some pretty major Fado singers (its luck because the singers vary from day to day). Dinner and the show at this restaurant will cost you at least 50 Euros (they offer a set menu at that price) although you could easily spend more if you order ala carte. Unlike a lot of the tourist traps used by tours, Senor Vinho actually has pretty decent food (not great...but decent). There is no real stage and the Fado singers are at one side of the restaurant. Reservations for this place are a must....and you will also see plenty of Portugese in this small place. The good news is that none of the larger tour buses go to this place :) If you stay for the entire show you will not be done until around midnight. At that time of night its wise to have the restaurant call you a taxi (no problem). Of course this is only helpful for those spending the night in Lisbon or lucky enough to be on a crusie that does an overnight in that port.

Hank

Hi,

Having 7 or 8 hours available, you can use that time in Lisbon or Sintra, it's just a question of preference.

It's enough time to visit in Sintra the Pena Palace, Quinta da Regaleira and National Palace, on the way back to Lisbon drive thru Cascais and Estoril. Arriving at Lisbon, you can have a quick view of the Belem area, and some points from where you have some of the most beautifull views of Lisbon.

As previous posters said, it's not the ideal but you will have a better day seeing something than stay at your ship.

Thank you!!!

Jennifer

Your description does not say where you are from but let me slightly reword your post and you can answer your own question - "Our cruise ends in New York City and we have one day at the end of our cruise. Can we see NYC in 1 day?"

DON

We are going to be in Lisbon for one day, end of April 2012; we have never been there & want to get the most out of our visit.

If anyone recommends any of the tours (NOT private, too expensive) sponsored by the ship, we would love to hear back from you.

We booked a private car with Alex at Top Ten Tours last Nov on our 1 day cruise stop to Lisbon - and it was less expensive than what the ship charged for 2 people. I don't know if that is still the case, but it was worth every penny - even if its a few dollars more. He picked us up at the terminal and we were off - while all the buses were still loading up. We went to Sintra and did a city tour of Lisbon, and I guarantee we had more time to sightsee than the bus people. He is educated, very knowledgable, speaks fluent english, and knows how to get around so you don't waste time sitting in traffic - and there is ALOT of traffic. He will also customize the trip to whatever duration and destinations you want. This trip was the best thing we did on our cruise and we recommend him to all our friends who go there. If you can get 4 people, it will be even more reasonable. Check out their website: http://www.toptentours.eu.

I will be in Lisbon for one day from a cruise ship. I realize I cannot see everything in one day but I like to get an overview of the city. From reading posts and guidebooks I was hoping that you can tell me if this is doable. I thought I would take a taxi from the port to St. George's Castle and then walk down and wander through the Alfama area and maybe stop at Mosteira de Sao Vincente or Museu national do Azulejo. Any other suggestions? Do you think I would have time to go to Belem to see the Tower, Jeronimos Monastery and a stop for custard pasteries? Thanks for any help you can give me.

SuzieQ1944, we're on the same cruise.

Jean

I will be in Lisbon for one day from a cruise ship. I realize I cannot see everything in one day but I like to get an overview of the city. From reading posts and guidebooks I was hoping that you can tell me if this is doable. I thought I would take a taxi from the port to St. George's Castle and then walk down and wander through the Alfama area and maybe stop at Mosteira de Sao Vincente or Museu national do Azulejo. Any other suggestions? Do you think I would have time to go to Belem to see the Tower, Jeronimos Monastery and a stop for custard pasteries? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Jean,

What you suggest **may** be doable, but would depend on some important details.

1. What day will this be? (weekdays / weekends / holidays make a big different in traffic)
  2. What times will your ship be in port? (8am-3pm is quite different from 7am-11pm)
  3. Where will you dock? (Santa Apolónia terminal closer to Alfama, or Alcântara terminal closer to Belém)
  4. Where is the ship coming from? (an intra-Schengen arrival will clear faster than an ex-Schengen)

Jean,

What you suggest **may** be doable, but would depend on some important details.

1. What day will this be? (weekdays / weekends / holidays make a big different in traffic)
  2. What times will your ship be in port? (8am-3pm is quite different from 7am-11pm)
  3. Where will you dock? (Santa Apolónia terminal closer to Alfama, or Alcântara terminal closer to Belém)
  4. Where is the ship coming from? (an intra-Schengen arrival will clear faster than an ex-Schengen)

I will be there on a Sunday from 10am to 6pm. I don't know where the ship will dock. The ship will be coming from the US and this is the first stop. I appreciate any suggestions.

Jean

I will be there on a Sunday from 10am to 6pm. I don't know where the ship will dock. The ship will be coming from the US and this is the first stop. I appreciate any suggestions.

Jean

The only ship I see on the port schedule coming from the US on a Sunday in April is the Sillhouette, on April 29. If that is your ship, it will be at the Alcântara terminal, and is scheduled for mooring at 8am. So if indeed they pull up alongside at 8am, 2 hours for Schengen clearance should be plenty, and you should be off the ship at 10am or even earlier.

As the ship sails in (and out) of the harbor, it passes the Belém area. So if you are up and about (should be at 7:30am or so) you can see the tower and some monuments from the ship. Nothing like being there, though, and you certainly won't get any custard pastries as you sall by.

On Sundays there is little traffic in Lisbon, and there is nothing special going on on 4/29 that I know off that would create any travel disruption. So you are in good shape.

You may want to know that government-owned monuments and museums are free on Sunday mornings, until 2 pm. For savings, try to hit those first. Museu do Azulejo, Tower of Belém, Discoveries Monument, Jerónimos, and many other are included in this "free on Sunday mornings" deal.

I think if you don't dally you can do both the castle/Alfama and the Belém areas. However, if you like to take it leisurely, explore in more depth and take a nice long lunch, you may have to stick with one area. I would recommend you start with whichever of the two areas interests you the most, and when you are done if there is time go to the other. They are about 20 minutes apart, and each about 10 minutes from the Alcântara terminal. All times by taxi or private vehicle.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

The only ship I see on the port schedule coming from the US on a Sunday in April is the Sillhouette, on April 29. If that is your ship, it will be at the Alcântara terminal, and is scheduled for mooring at 8am. So if indeed they pull up alongside at 8am, 2 hours for Schengen clearance should be plenty, and you should be off the ship at 10am or even earlier.

As the ship sails in (and out) of the harbor, it passes the Belém area. So if you are up and about (should be at 7:30am or so) you can see the tower and some monuments from the ship. Nothing like being there, though, and you certainly won't get any custard pastries as you sall by.

On Sundays there is little traffic in Lisbon, and there is nothing special going on on 4/29 that I know off that would create any travel disruption. So you are in good shape.

You may want to know that government-owned monuments and museums are free on Sunday mornings, until 2 pm. For savings, try to hit those first. Museu do Azulejo, Tower of Belém, Discoveries Monument, Jerónimos, and many other are included in this "free on Sunday mornings" deal.

I think if you don't dally you can do both the castle/Alfama and the Belém areas. However, if you like to take it leisurely, explore in more depth and take a nice long lunch, you may have to stick with one area. I would recommend you start with whichever of the two areas interests you the most, and when you are done if there is time go to the other. They are about 20 minutes apart, and each about 10 minutes from the Alcântara terminal. All times by taxi or private vehicle.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Yes, it is April 29 on the Silhouette that I will arrive. Thank you for finding out where the ship will dock and explaining the clearance.

You can be sure I will be up early as we pull into port! I would love to see both areas so I think I will probably try for that rather than a long leisurely lunch. I wish I had at least 2 days there. I think I will start with the Alfama area and hope to get to Belem. Am I right in thinking I would be walking downhill from the Castle?

What about the Tram verses taxi? Is it better to take a taxi to St. George’s Castle? Would I be able to get a taxi at the Alcantara terminal or do we take a bus into town?

Thanks for the tip of the free museums. You gave me so much information. I really appreciate it.

Jean

You can be sure I will be up early as we pull into port! I would love to see both areas so I think I will probably try for that rather than a long leisurely lunch. I wish I had at least 2 days there. I think I will start with the Alfama area and hope to get to Belem. Am I right in thinking I would be walking downhill from the Castle?

Yes, you are. The castle in at the top of a hill. No matter what direction you go from the castle, it's always down. Bear in mind that just because you are going down doesn't mean you are going in the right direction. You could end up on the other side of the city. :-)

What about the Tram verses taxi? Is it better to take a taxi to St. George’s Castle? Would I be able to get a taxi at the Alcantara terminal or do we take a bus into town?

Tram is slower and cheaper, taxi is faster and if you don't get ripped off it is not expensive. There will be taxis at the port, they're always there to get cruiser's business. However, some may refuse to take you for a short 5€ ride to the castle, and prefer to wait for other cruisers who may hire them for a 100€ tour of the countryside. That is especially true if you get off the ship early, as they know there will be many other cruisers behind you.

There is no direct tram from Alcântara to Alfama or the castle. If you want to go by tram you have to walk about 1/2 mile to catch tram 15 downtown, then walk to catch tram 12 or 28 up the castle hill. On Sundays trams run about every 15 minutes, so if you are unlucky you could end up waiting for a while, twice. If riding the trams is important to you, do it. Keep in mind that tram 15 is quite different from the others. 15 is a modern, high-speed articulated tram that travels on long flat portions. The other lines are small older and slower trams that travel on hills and narrow streets. Compare these youtube videos of

and

Thanks for the tip of the free museums. You gave me so much information. I really appreciate it.

For some reason I don't think the castle participates in the "free Sunday mornings" program. Perhaps they do, but I don't think so. If that is the case, your plan of starting with the castle does not optimize for freebies. But hey, the country needs the money and we appreciate you spending it here! Thanks so much.

Tram is slower and cheaper, taxi is faster and if you don't get ripped off it is not expensive. There will be taxis at the port, they're always there to get cruiser's business. However, some may refuse to take you for a short 5€ ride to the castle, and prefer to wait for other cruisers who may hire them for a 100€ tour of the countryside. That is especially true if you get off the ship early, as they know there will be many other cruisers behind you.

I see your point about the taxi. I think you are right, they will not take me if they can get a higher fare. There is no direct tram from Alcântara to Alfama or the castle. If you want to go by tram you have to walk about 1/2 mile to catch tram 15 downtown, then walk to catch tram 12 or 28 up the castle hill. On Sundays trams run about every 15 minutes, so if you are unlucky you could end up waiting for a while, twice. If riding the trams is important to you, do it. Keep in mind that tram 15 is quite different from the others. 15 is a modern, high-speed articulated tram that travels on long flat portions. The other lines are small older and slower trams that travel on hills and narrow streets. Compare these youtube videos of

and

For some reason I don't think the castle participates in the "free Sunday mornings" program. Perhaps they do, but I don't think so. If that is the case, your plan of starting with the castle does not optimize for freebies. But hey, the country needs the money and we appreciate you spending it here! Thanks so much.

I see your point about the taxi. I think you are right, they will not take me if they can get a higher fare from someone else.

I guess my plan b would be to find a way into the city center and then take the tram and maybe skip St. George's castle? What is your opinion on the Hop on Hop off bus? It doesn't look to me like it is going where I want to go.

Jean

Archived