Sunset Beach or Hilton Rose Hall? (Jamaica for a Day)

2Okies

I would like to hear about the comparison of the two of these from anyone that has been to both.

I've been to Sunset Beach in '07 w/my teen daughter & friends. We enjoyed the day here. The pool was beautiful, and we used it a lot because the water was murky that day because of a storm that had passed through prior to our arrival. The food here was okay, not exceptional, but sufficient. We (4 women) never had problems being approached by anyone wanting to sell us drugs or anything, and we felt very safe on on the property. However, my son (then, age 24) & daughter in law went the next year, and he was approached to buy drugs more than once, and at least once by hotel employees that were giving out the kayaks. My daughter in law was never bothered. We figure they don't bother women?

OH! and another thing - we liked Sunset because it was just about a 3-5 minute drive from the boat, and we could SEE our ship from the resort! It was nice having it in sight!

So, since my husband & I are going together this time, I would like to go somewhere we won't be bothered in this respect - just in case. The pools here at Sunset are nice with the slides and stuff, and the lazy river was great for relaxing. From what I remember, the only water toys they had at Sunset were the Kayaks. I hear Hilton has something similar, but it sounds like they have more food options than Sunset.

It looks like it is a little bit pricier, but not that much more.

We just want to have a fun, safe day - with some good food choices.

I KNOW that you definately need to have plans in Jamaica, as it isn't the best port for safety, and you sure don't need to just "wing-it". My hubby was all for just staying on the boat, but I told him he would be ready to get off the boat by the time we docked.

Anyone's suggestions on these two resorts would be appreciated! Or, if you have other suggestions for Jamaica, we would love to hear them!

Hi Okie...I see you are researching Jamaica, too!

I'm just trying to see what might be available that day. We usually don't plan ahead a lot because we like to see what the weather is going to be and then figure out a plan on the fly.

Sunset Beach sounds good, but I'm curious what else you find that might be "more quiet." :cool:

GP

Hi there,

We were just in Ocho Rios and took the guided taxi to Dunn River Falls. They were very nice and stayed with us. Although, my mom was asked many times if she liked to party on the beach at Dunn River Falls. LOL. Really?

There was a Gov. Employee that was very helpful and pleasant to walk with.

We are using this website and booked Sunset Beach for August.

http://www.jamaicaforaday.com/Sunset_Montego_Bay_Resort.html

We were thinking it is best for including my DS 13. But the Hilton really looked nice and seemed more upscale (which I prefer) but I have to keep everyone happy. So far, we have 3 other CC posters that have booked with this website. Hope you have a wonderful vacation!

HAHA...would help if I put the right link on this post.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked Sunset. For $60pp AI, great pool & beach, we figured it was a great way to spend a relaxing day.

We don't want any hassle, or have to be carrying any money around for tips, food, etc. We don't really care about shopping - but can do a little around the port area if we want to before we get aboard ship.

I was Sunset in '07 and loved it, so I'm sure we will like it just as much this time. We just want to relax and not worry about anything!

We booked Sunset. For $60pp AI, great pool & beach, we figured it was a great way to spend a relaxing day.

We don't want any hassle, or have to be carrying any money around for tips, food, etc. We don't really care about shopping - but can do a little around the port area if we want to before we get aboard ship.

I was Sunset in '07 and loved it, so I'm sure we will like it just as much this time. We just want to relax and not worry about anything!

hi just wonder if you have already been on your cruise to jamacia this year 2012 and if you went to sunset beach we are a group leaving in feb on the conquest and looking for up to the minute reviews as this was one of our choices to go to if you have already been please email me peachcrek@aol.com to let me know if not and tou are going in the sept cruise please visit our roll call Feb 24th 2013 here on C/c and let us know what the resort was like now in 2012 thanks so much

hi just wonder if you have already been on your cruise to jamacia this year 2012 and if you went to sunset beach we are a group leaving in feb on the conquest and looking for up to the minute reviews as this was one of our choices to go to if you have already been please email me peachcrek@aol.com to let me know if not and tou are going in the sept cruise please visit our roll call Feb 24th 2013 here on C/c and let us know what the resort was like now in 2012 thanks so much

We do not sail until September, so that will be before your cruise in February. I will write a review, and try to remember to let you know when it's on here.

However, from the reviews I've read on all these forum pages, Sunset is still very nice. If your group wants to make reservations ahead of time (of course you still have lots of time), I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Like I said in my earlier post, it was very nice in '07 when I was there, and all the current reviews I've read claim that it is still very nice.

I would like to hear about the comparison of the two of these from anyone that has been to both.

I've been to Sunset Beach in '07 w/my teen daughter & friends. We enjoyed the day here. The pool was beautiful, and we used it a lot because the water was murky that day because of a storm that had passed through prior to our arrival. The food here was okay, not exceptional, but sufficient. We (4 women) never had problems being approached by anyone wanting to sell us drugs or anything, and we felt very safe on on the property. However, my son (then, age 24) & daughter in law went the next year, and he was approached to buy drugs more than once, and at least once by hotel employees that were giving out the kayaks. My daughter in law was never bothered. We figure they don't bother women?

OH! and another thing - we liked Sunset because it was just about a 3-5 minute drive from the boat, and we could SEE our ship from the resort! It was nice having it in sight!

So, since my husband & I are going together this time, I would like to go somewhere we won't be bothered in this respect - just in case. The pools here at Sunset are nice with the slides and stuff, and the lazy river was great for relaxing. From what I remember, the only water toys they had at Sunset were the Kayaks. I hear Hilton has something similar, but it sounds like they have more food options than Sunset.

It looks like it is a little bit pricier, but not that much more.

We just want to have a fun, safe day - with some good food choices.

I KNOW that you definately need to have plans in Jamaica, as it isn't the best port for safety, and you sure don't need to just "wing-it". My hubby was all for just staying on the boat, but I told him he would be ready to get off the boat by the time we docked.

Anyone's suggestions on these two resorts would be appreciated! Or, if you have other suggestions for Jamaica, we would love to hear them!

thank for posting right away I have been to dr. cave a few times and the beach has shrunk from all the past storms, it used to be such a wide beach and beautiful and calm swim area, it was very hard getting back to the shore after being in the water the waves would pull you back down and it very hard for a child or older person to get out of the water the drink venders were very annoying every 10 min or so and just would not take no for an answer it has gone down in quality and and peaceful beach day!! :( very sad as it was once a nice area, that is althrough my opinion!!

hi just wonder if you have already been on your cruise to jamacia this year 2012 and if you went to sunset beach we are a group leaving in feb on the conquest and looking for up to the minute reviews let us know what the resort was like now in 2012 thanks so much
Below is a link to the reviews on tripadvisor, I am sure that most of the reviews are from people that stayed there as opposed to using a daypass, I scanned the most recent 25 reviews, that only went back less than 2 weeks old and this was the breakdown.

5 Stars 6

4 stars 4

3 Stars 8

2 stars 5

1 star 2

As you can see, the reviews were all over the place, but averaged out to be just over 3 stars. If you do decide to book it, you can use Jamaica for a day to receive an extra 5 % discount for your group of 16 or more and another option is to spend a little more and go to the Hilton Rose Hall. The Hilton is 75, the Sunset is 60.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147311-d149881-Reviews-Sunset_Beach_Resort_Spa_Water_Park-Montego_Bay_Jamaica.html

The Hilton Rose Hall reviews are below:

5 stars 15

4 stars 8

3 stars 2

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g660724-d1200370-Reviews-or10-Hilton_Rose_Hall_Resort_Spa-Rose_Hall_Montego_Bay_Jamaica.html#REVIEWS

Archived