Alaska 6/05 Princess with a 14 month old, what do i need? carseat?diaper, food?HELP!

wadeod

We are traveling on a week long alaskan cruise with a 14 month old boy. He is our first and only child, so we have NO clue on how to travel with him. So i have a few questions, and any other suggestions you might have will be greatly appreciated.

1) we are flying from indiana to seattle and understand that kids under 2 can ride on a lap for free. I know about the turbulence dangers but i think we are planning on putting him in a baby bjorn or something like that, he is bad about sitting in his carseat, and i fear he would just cry the whole flight if we did that, has anyone ever done the baby bjorn or nothing at all??

2)how hard is it to get a cab in alaska without a carseat? is it legal? is it acceptable?

3) what about diapers and food? I assume he will be eating table foods by that time, so they maybe have a kids menu or something? should we bring our own diapers?

4) do they supply a crib or pack and play?

5)any other suggestions or comments or tips are greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!! we are a little anxious traveling with our little baby!

The best thing is to re-post this question 2 weeks before you are set to sail. By then, you'll have a new set of questions for your walking 14M old toddler which you can't think of them yet since he is only 9M old now.

[quote name='wadeod']We are traveling on a week long alaskan cruise with a 14 month old boy. He is our first and only child, so we have NO clue on how to travel with him. So i have a few questions, and any other suggestions you might have will be greatly appreciated.![/QUOTE]

There are lots of posts on how to pack on a cruise. Check them before you start packing.

[quote name='wadeod']1) we are flying from indiana to seattle and understand that kids under 2 can ride on a lap for free. I know about the turbulence dangers but i think we are planning on putting him in a baby bjorn or something like that, he is bad about sitting in his carseat, and i fear he would just cry the whole flight if we did that, has anyone ever done the baby bjorn or nothing at all?? ![/QUOTE]

Make sure you don't give him too much to drink until landing. Ear pressure on landing is tough to take, so reserve drinks like his favorite juice or milk until landing. But even the best planning can't avoid the pain they'll suffer at landing....my little one was sleeping during landing and I couldn't wake him up to drink his juice. The pressure changed drastic enough for his ears to hurt and woke him up. The loud crying actually helped to clear his plugged up ears. So don't worry too much.

FAA do not allow baby in a Baby Bjorn while during takeoff and landing. Unless he is strapped into a carseat, you'll have to hold him during takeoff and landing. It's stupid to not allow a Baby Bjorn, but what can you do unless someone lobbies the FAA.

Ask to see if the flight is full the night before you leave. If not, you may ask the check-in lady nicely and see if she'll block off the seat between you and your husband so you can strapped your child's carseat into the seat.

[quote name='wadeod2)how hard is it to get a cab in alaska without a carseat? is it legal? is it acceptable?![/QUOTE']

You won't need a cab in Alaska. Just walk or take the bus. Which cities will you be visiting in Alaska?

[quote name='wadeod3) what about diapers and food? I assume he will be eating table foods by that time, so they maybe have a kids menu or something? should we bring our own diapers?![/QUOTE']

I have posted Princess kids' menu before. I don't have the link here right now, but just search for it. Count how many diaper he uses per day prior to sailing, then add 2 for each day. Let's say he soils 6 diapers a day, you should allot 8 diapers per day. For your flight from Indiana to Seattle, bring one diaper per hour of flight.

You'll have enough space to bring back souvenir from Alaska as the diapers get used up. Bring lots of plastic bags from grocery stores for soiled diapers. Even though the room stewards clean out the room promptly, I feel bad to have him smell our dirty diapers, so I put soiled diapers in plastic bags and tie them up before dumping them in the garbage can.

Bring plastic hangers for your child. I bring those from Target and just leave them on the ship when I leave.

[quote name='wadeod4) do they supply a crib or pack and play?![/QUOTE']

They supply wooden cribs. You don't need to bring the pack 'n play. You can also have him to sleep with you if you like the family bed concept.

[quote name='wadeod5)any other suggestions or comments or tips are greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!! we are a little anxious traveling with our little baby![/QUOTE']

Email me and I'll give you a list of tips that I have written before.

Please relax and don't worry too much. The first trip with your first-born is always the most difficult. It gets easier. Trust me!

Jennifer
(jtsaila@excite.com)

Just a thought regarding the disposal of diapers. We just returned Monday from a short 4 day on the Inspiration with our 17 month old daughter. I asked our cabin steward for bags to use and he brought them to me and replenished them with no problem. We cruised in June as well with her...that time we used a crib from the ship and she did okay in it. I brought my own sheets to use and blankets as well. This time we brought her pack and play and she did much better. It could be the pack and play, or it could be the fact that she's a little older...not sure. With that being said...I think it would be too difficult to travel that far with your pack and play and would probably suggest just using the crib on the ship. Keep in mind the cabin can get pretty cold at night. I had our daughter sleep in a short sleeved onsie under her long sleeved and long pant jammies, with socks as well.
You'll need to consider as you get closer to the cruise what his feeding schedule is and what exactly he's eating. I had to bring formula and bottles last time...and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier this time with her eating just food. I did bring snacks of course and the little containers of fruit that she loves for her to eat for breakfast and at dinner each night. The early seating for dinner worked really well for us both times! Carnival's selection included the usual...hot dog...hamburger...pizza...chicken nuggets and pasta. She did really well...Thank God!
I can't think of anything more for now...if you have more specific questions...post them or feel free to email me directly!
Good luck!
Carrie

Archived