article on solo cruising

elbodans

one of my favorite travel bloggers just wrote a post today about cruising solo on the epic (which i'm personally excited about because i think i'll be doing just that in may). thought i'd share...

[url]http://solofriendly.com/if-at-first-you-dont-succeed/[/url]

enjoy!

[quote name='Bethwte']Great article and an even better site. I have a feeling I will obsess over reading everyting on it before my first solo trip in a month. Thanks for sharing :)[/quote]

glad you liked it! is your first solo trip...a cruise?

i travel solo A LOT. like more than most normal people. ;) feel free to ask for encouragement. in my opinion, it's the only way to travel! (my husband does not agree!)

Very good article- fortuneatly when you go from Miami everyone is entering the same time, I could understand also that each group of people is unique and had he joined the next week he might have met more compatible people on both entry days.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting article and review of what appeared to be a first time solo cruiser. Seemed like he/she was whining the first part of it.

"But don’t think this means you don’t even have to try if you want to have a social life aboard the ship."

If anyone goes on any ship thinking they don't have to make some sort of effort to meet and establish some sort of relationship with others if they wish, they live in a dream world. Throughout the article he/she seemed to go back to not fitting in with this other solo "group" that joined before him/her. Glad at some point during his/her cruise he/she found others to hang out with. Not sure I like how much effort with this review he placed on that very subject as it could make those thinking of traveling solo just not travel solo. Would hate for that to happen, they are missing a lot! :)

[quote name='MrFunInTheSun']
Not sure I like how much effort with this review he placed on that very subject as it could make those thinking of traveling solo just not travel solo. Would hate for that to happen, they are missing a lot! :)[/quote]

I agree, to the point I found it odd. It seemed that was ALL the review was about. When I travel solo, my only intention is not meeting people, it is all the experiences. Then while you are adventuring and exploring you automatically meet people, it's natural, it's not work.
Maybe it was the writers first solo trip?

Thanks for sharing the article elbodans. :D

glad you all liked it! i liked that she mentioned signing up for the roll call on here--i think that's the best advice ever (as that's what i did, and had a great time!)

[quote name='mn_isla_girl']I agree, to the point I found it odd. It seemed that was ALL the review was about. When I travel solo, my only intention is not meeting people, it is all the experiences. Then while you are adventuring and exploring you automatically meet people, it's natural, it's not work.
Maybe it was the writers first solo trip?

Thanks for sharing the article elbodans. :D[/QUOTE]

actually, she's been traveling solo for a while. that blog--her blog--solo friendly--is pretty well known. i think she was just writing it to an audience of first time solo travelers. to give them tips of what to do and what not to do. i've done the same on my blog, though mine isn't a solely solo travel blog (though i typically do travel solo--it's my favorite way to travel. perhaps it's an only child thing? :o )

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the article! I'm thinking about going solo in August 2013; I am supposed to go on a cruise between Sept. and December 2013 but those plans haven't been nailed down yet. Anyway, August 28th is my big 30 and I wanted to go on a cruise but no one else wants/can go at this time. So I guess I'll be giving myself a solo cruise!!

[quote name='Barlee126']Anyway, August 28th is my big 30 and I wanted to go on a cruise but no one else wants/can go at this time. So I guess I'll be giving myself a solo cruise!![/QUOTE]

Solo cruises are a blast! You'll have a great time and have so much freedom to do as much or little as you want!

Happy sailing, please be sure to come back here after your cruise and tell us about your awesome experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse typographical errors.

• 5 weeks later...
I did go solo on Epic and I truly loved my little cabin. It was like a train berth and wicked comfy. I had ties on board to a group of 22 but did a lot on my own. Showed up at the Studio Lounge every night and it was a bit of an odd mix, somewhat like "one flew over cuckoos nest" but make no mistake, I include myself in the cuckoos!!!

While not naturally inclined to mix, I stepped it up out of my comfort zone and did just that. If you don't, you miss a good part of the journey not just on a ship but in life as well.

So go solo if no one else fancies a cruise. Make the most of it! Beats working:)

[quote name='elbodans']one of my favorite travel bloggers just wrote a post today about cruising solo on the epic (which i'm personally excited about because i think i'll be doing just that in may). thought i'd share...

[URL]http://solofriendly.com/if-at-first-you-dont-succeed/[/URL]

enjoy![/quote]

I cruised the Epic when it was only 4 months old. Loved it. Love the solo cabins and the "Studio Lounge". Price was good too. But, I have noticed that you really aren't getting a bargain as far as the "no supplement" goes. I travel alone and have since had a while inside cabin for just about the same price as the "solo" cabin. I thought it was going to be a major savings but it wasn't. Don't get me wrong. I love the solo cabins and I want to definitely cruise the Epic again in one of them, but I just felt that it wasn't much different in price.

Archived