Boston Port - need hotel and things to do ideas

Ocean Air

I am not sure this type of question has ever been posted.

Friends of ours are coming into port from England on a cruise. We are going to drive up from MD and meet them in Boston (July 4th) and then drive down and meet them in NY on the 6th. Have many questions since we are not from the Boston area.

Questions:

1. My family (of 3) needs a nice hotel, that isn't a budget breaker for two nights.

2. Where can we meet them or what can we do for day that allows lot's of time to visit and for them to see the area also.

3. After they leave, we would like to whale watch on the 5th before heading down to NY. Suggestions?

Thank you!!

What exact dates do you need a hotel? What is your budget? Boston hotels are expensive - we usually recommend Hotwire. Our favorite 4* Waterfront hotel is on Hotwire for July 3 & 4 for $172 + tax. This would be close to the pier where your friends are arriving. Parking would be extra.

You can take the HoHo trolley around Boston to see the major sights. You can also just walk part of the Freedom trail for free and stop at Quincy Market and the North End.

If you're dates in Boston are July 3-5, you can follow the method for making a LNF lowest rate claim with Marriott that I describe in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30308190&postcount=8, and get the Marriott Copley Place for $136. The Old Town Trolley has a stop right in the entranceway of the hotel.

Thank you Twick and 138!

I just booked the Marriott Copely Place on Huntington Avenue, is this the same hotel with the trolley?

(I booked through AA Travel, their rates are incredible, compared to all the other sites. The $136 is for one person, when you add 3, it is higher. I emailed the hotel for a discount, I will let you know their response.) Is parking included or extra at hotel?

Questions:

Is this the right hotel?

Is this the HoHo trolley?

How far is it from the pier?

Where does the trolley bring us?

Thank you Twick and 138!

I just booked the Marriott Copely Place on Huntington Avenue, is this the same hotel with the trolley?

(I booked through AA Travel, their rates are incredible, compared to all the other sites. The $136 is for one person, when you add 3, it is higher. I emailed the hotel for a discount, I will let you know their response.) Is parking included or extra at hotel?

Questions:

Is this the right hotel? Yes

Is this the HoHo trolley? Yes

I'm not exactly sure of the mileage- I'll check for you tomorrow. The hotel is in Back Bay - a great location that you will be very happy with. The trolley makes a large circle around the tourist highlights in Boston. Google Old Town Trolley Boston to look at the map. Parking is extra - it might be best to dump your car in a local lot for two days. I'll look for that tomorrow as well.

Thank you Twick and 138!

Questions:

Is this the right hotel?

Is this the HoHo trolley?

If you found a rate of $136 on AA travel, DON'T book with them. Book with Marriott.com, then file a LNF claim; you should get the 25% discount, plus be able to earn MR points.

To answer your questions:

-Yes, this is the hotel where the trolley stops (right in the carport - there's a desk in the lobby where you can buy your tickets)

-Yes

-According to http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=110+Huntington+Avenue,+Boston,+MA+02116,+United+States+(Boston+Marriott+Copley+Place)&daddr=Black+Falcon+Cruise+Terminal&hl=en&sll=42.35076,-71.06906&sspn=0.011243,0.026436&geocode=FSIqhgIdPHDD-yGIcEIrlm_VoSmDTxL9DXrjiTHldBtZf5MfEw%3BFRAdhgIdFx7E-yEBu28mLVGXeg&gl=ca&mra=ls&t=m&z=15, 3.5 miles

-Map here: http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/

The trolley is wonderful because you can take the entire loop and pass all the places, and you can also get off and visit the individual places that interest you. The Old North Church; Paul Revere's house; Bunker Hill; USS Constitution, are places we learn about in U.S. history and then can see the actual place. The tour of Fenway Park is a must for any baseball fan. But when you check the list, there might be something else that appeals to you. Boston is a great town to visit. Since you have a car, you might also want to visit Salem, Mass. You didn't mention the ages of your family, but teens love that place.

To meet your friends, I'd recommend taking the subway from your hotel to black falcon pier. (green line to Park st.; Red line to South Station, then the Silver line to the pier.)

Once you meet up with your friends, catch a hop on/off trolly right there (I know that Old town stops there.)

There are several Whale watching groups that leave from Long Wharf, or nect door at the New England Aquarium.

Have fun!

Aloha,

john

Keep in mind 4th of July is very busy in Boston. The Esplanade and Hatch Shell along the Charles River are the site of an outdoor concert by Boston Pops and then fireworks. It draws tens of thousands of people into the City and many streets are closed to traffic. Restaurants etc get very busy and that area of the city is hopping.

If you're dates in Boston are July 3-5, you can follow the method for making a LNF lowest rate claim with Marriott that I describe in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30308190&postcount=8, and get the Marriott Copley Place for $136. The Old Town Trolley has a stop right in the entranceway of the hotel.

Thanks for this post. Great advice and it worked like a charm.

Did my homework, found a rate at AAtravel for the Marriott Copley Place cheaper than the one Marriott online lists.

Booked with Marriott online and then submitted the LNF info using your link.

Got the email this morning and I am saving $75 a nite for our two nite stay.

Thanks again

• 3 months later...

Archived