Maya Chan sold out - second choice?

B4May

I just heard back from Maya Chan and they are oversold on our date with a long waiting list....:( I'm so sad because everyone raves about it!

What is the best option for a second choice? Two families traveling together with small kids, ranging in age from 2-8 years old.

Can we wing it and find a beach/restaurant somewhere close to the pier without reserving an excursion?

I have a feeling from what I've read that Costa Maya is like Progreso, which we were not fans of because the beach vendors were relentless.

Thanks!

We went to Tropicante a couple years ago and it was nice. They let us call home for free to check on the dogs too. It was cash only and you had a free reserved beach chair, but they expect you to buy food and drinks. I'm sure some things have changed since we went, but I found their site on google so they must still be open. http://www.sandalsandskis.com/tropicante.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I visited Tropicante on Dec 21, 2016 from the Oosterdam. I emailed Steve at Tropicante before I took off for my cruise and requested a table on the beach in the shade. He had our names on a list and we got our table in the shade. To me it was perfect. We ordered food and drinks (very good nachos, guacamole and chevice, Margaritas were excellent too! Steve has a large selection of Mexican Microbrews). There were couples there along with families with kids on the Tropicante beach. There are lots of spots for lounging. I decided to go with Tropicante because Steve prides himself in making sure all of his food and ice in drinks are clean and safe. I have an especially sensitive stomach and I had no problems after eating Tropicante food or drinks. Yes, there are a few vendors that will walk up to you to show your their wares but a simple "no thank you" will work. We grabbed a taxi for $2 pp one-way outside of the Costa Maya port and just said "Tropicante"! They dropped us off right outside the Malecon by the Tropicante, no problems. Please note: CASH only, no credit cards at the Tropicante!

Have fun in Costa Maya!

Teressa

Edited by socagirl1

Check out Almaplena if you are looking for an AI place with all the food and drinks included.

If you want some place to go that's close to the port and just pay as you go, check out Blue Kay. Beautiful place.

I have full reviews of both of them in my signature line if you are interested in checking either one of them out. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Tropicante is a great place to go to..we have been going there for 7 years or so...Owner, Steve is an american and we were there last week and you can use his phone to call back to the states..Prices are great and staff very outgoing.....