Bay of Islands Kayaking waterfalls or the around the islands

tc2344

We are heading to NZ in Oct/Nov and I have been trying to research kayaking excursions while we are at BOI. A few questions have stumped me from making a decision and I am asking for assistance/guidance:

1. What would you recommend, kayaking the river to Haruru Falls or paddle around the islands. I am aware that the waterfall is a shorter time commitment than the island tour.

2. Since this is a tender port and our ship is expected to arrive at 8, is a 9:30 arrival a reasonable amount of time to get from the tender drop off to Paihia Beach if we are not able to get on one of the first few tenders?

3. I have been reading that there is a shuttle to get people around the area, would this be a good way to go or would it be better to catch a car to take us to Paihia in order to make a 9:30 start?

4. Has anyone have experience on either tour and which tour company did you use? I'm looking at two companies right now, but it would be helpful to get some advice from those who have used the various companies.

Thank you in advance, we are looking forward to visiting such a beautiful country.

We are heading to NZ in Oct/Nov and I have been trying to research kayaking excursions while we are at BOI. A few questions have stumped me from making a decision and I am asking for assistance/guidance:

1. What would you recommend, kayaking the river to Haruru Falls or paddle around the islands. I am aware that the waterfall is a shorter time commitment than the island tour.

2. Since this is a tender port and our ship is expected to arrive at 8, is a 9:30 arrival a reasonable amount of time to get from the tender drop off to Paihia Beach if we are not able to get on one of the first few tenders?

3. I have been reading that there is a shuttle to get people around the area, would this be a good way to go or would it be better to catch a car to take us to Paihia in order to make a 9:30 start?

4. Has anyone have experience on either tour and which tour company did you use? I'm looking at two companies right now, but it would be helpful to get some advice from those who have used the various companies.

Thank you in advance, we are looking forward to visiting such a beautiful country.

Hi., I was bought up in the Bay of Islands. It is a very beautiful part of the country.

Depending on rainfall, the falls can be anything from about 3 foot high to about 10 foot high, they are - with all due respect to my home town , not the most spectacular water falls in the country. But...the kayak up the river through the mangroves could be interesting.

Personally, I would do the kayak around the islands. The Bay has about 360 of them and some of them are particularly beautiful, there are also resident dolphins all through the area and hopefully you might have some interaction with them.

Tender drop off to Waitangi which in my experience where the tenders are now going is about 20 minutes. I think some cruise lines are met by a shuttle though whether it is supplied by the ships company or the business assoc I can't answer but it is only about a 25 minute walk to Paihia beach. Waitangi beach is stunning , it was my playground for about 18 years and is a great swimming beach. In addition to what you are considering, I can recommend a trip out to Cape Brett, or the Hole in the Rock which it is commonly referred to. And alternatively, Russell with lunch at the "Duke" could also be another option.

Have a great day...Roscoe

Hi, we've visited Bay of Island several times over the years, so as we had experienced so much of it already, we chose to do the Kayak up the river to the falls offered by the cruise line (about 7 weeks ago) - and a good way to burn off some extra calories for a guilt free dinner back on board....

The Kayak team were waiting for us at the tender pier, and once all counted for, they walked us over the bridge to their Kayak "hut" (for lack of a better word). Kakak's were all ready placed along the beach, they gave us a demo, made sure everyone was operational, and off we all went.

The Kayaks are all 2 person per kayaks, and the trip up the river was about an hour up (plus stopping at points of interest for a talk). Members of the team had waterproof cameras and took pictures through the excursion and offered them free of charge at the end (showed how and where to down load off the internet from home). Waterfall at the end was nice photo opp. At the waterfall we stopped and went on shore for some complimentary snacks and drinks for about half hour. Were shown some Mauri customs and greetings and a Haka while eating, and then a 1 hour of so Kayak back to base. You could return to the ship at your leisure after that, or catch the shuttle into town if desired for a bit.

Hope that helps...

Hi., I was bought up in the Bay of Islands. It is a very beautiful part of the country.

Depending on rainfall, the falls can be anything from about 3 foot high to about 10 foot high, they are - with all due respect to my home town , not the most spectacular water falls in the country. But...the kayak up the river through the mangroves could be interesting.

Personally, I would do the kayak around the islands. The Bay has about 360 of them and some of them are particularly beautiful, there are also resident dolphins all through the area and hopefully you might have some interaction with them.

Tender drop off to Waitangi which in my experience where the tenders are now going is about 20 minutes. I think some cruise lines are met by a shuttle though whether it is supplied by the ships company or the business assoc I can't answer but it is only about a 25 minute walk to Paihia beach. Waitangi beach is stunning , it was my playground for about 18 years and is a great swimming beach. In addition to what you are considering, I can recommend a trip out to Cape Brett, or the Hole in the Rock which it is commonly referred to. And alternatively, Russell with lunch at the "Duke" could also be another option.

Have a great day...Roscoe

Roscoe, thank you so much! I was leaning towards the trip around the islands, so you definitely helped confirm my thoughts. I appreciate all your insights too, thank you!

Agree with Roscoe - the islands are stunning, as are the beaches and the wildlife.

Only concern would be the weather at that time of year - probably won't be particularly warm and could be windy.

Johno1234, thank you for the weather insight, I may wait until it gets closer to book, or even wait until we reach the port of call since mom and DH, may not appreciate the winds while kayaking.

Hi, we've visited Bay of Island several times over the years, so as we had experienced so much of it already, we chose to do the Kayak up the river to the falls offered by the cruise line (about 7 weeks ago) - and a good way to burn off some extra calories for a guilt free dinner back on board....

The Kayak team were waiting for us at the tender pier, and once all counted for, they walked us over the bridge to their Kayak "hut" (for lack of a better word). Kakak's were all ready placed along the beach, they gave us a demo, made sure everyone was operational, and off we all went.

The Kayaks are all 2 person per kayaks, and the trip up the river was about an hour up (plus stopping at points of interest for a talk). Members of the team had waterproof cameras and took pictures through the excursion and offered them free of charge at the end (showed how and where to down load off the internet from home). Waterfall at the end was nice photo opp. At the waterfall we stopped and went on shore for some complimentary snacks and drinks for about half hour. Were shown some Mauri customs and greetings and a Haka while eating, and then a 1 hour of so Kayak back to base. You could return to the ship at your leisure after that, or catch the shuttle into town if desired for a bit.

Hope that helps...

Lanwood, thank you, yes your input was very helpful. I am planning on kayaking around the island; however, I am going to use the waterfall as my plan B since I have decided to wait until the day of to approach the tour companies. I really appreciate the time you took to give me so much detail, which really made it difficult to decide, although I was leaning towards the island tour. I think because weather can be an issue and time (depending on the tender timeframes), I think that which ever kayak tour we do, they will both be well worth it. I wish we had more time in port so we could do both!