Traveling solo - reading during meals

newatt_now

So what are they supposed to do? Stare at the wall?:confused:

they can choose to NOT dine at a large table but as i said on our last cruise they were VERY reluctant to seat anyone at the 2 tops

I am of the opinionthat NO reading or playing games or facebooking should be done when there is food on the table and other people seated.

she can read all she wants all alone anywhere else on the ship and no one will bother her or think her rude.

Yea, that is a perfectly logical suggestion, but I was asking the person who said they wouldn't mind if someone sat there and didn't talk to anyone, but would mind if they were reading. If you don't mind if they just sit there not talking, why mind if the read?

because sticking your nose in a book is DELIBERATELY rude and makest you appear snooty, and anti social.

if you want to be by yourself that's fine, just don't ignore your table mates. if the wait staff will seat you by yourself great. if they won't then please act like a social creature and if that is too much effort, go room service or buffet.

they can choose to NOT dine at a large table but as i said on our last cruise they were VERY reluctant to seat anyone at the 2 tops

I am of the opinionthat NO reading or playing games or facebooking should be done when there is food on the table and other people seated.

she can read all she wants all alone anywhere else on the ship and no one will bother her or think her rude.

I appreciate that you answered the query.

I am an avid reader and always have my kindle, but personal interaction, communication, conversation takes precedence. I had an experience sitting at a table near the pool area, not dining, when another person asked a reader if they could join, and the reader replied to the effect that yes, but don't talk because they wanted to read. Call it rude, I just call it fair notice that this was a person I would avoid and not be around again. They would probably not give it anther thought, nor would I.

Wow.....such contention....I am surprised that so many think this is quite rude.....I consider myself quite social and well-mannered....after a lifetime of caring for children belonging to other people I relish going out to a restaurant and quietly reading during my uninterrupted meal....I wouldn't hesitate to do this on a ship after polite acknowledgment of arriving table mates who are strangers....after all....this is my long-awaited and well-deserved vacation !......if I was seated in the mdr at the same time as the rest of the table I would engage at dinner time but wouldn't think twice about it during breakfast and lunch as people are seated as they arrive....

You know... I think another thing to consider is to explain to the table your situation. That there were not other "single" tables for you to sit at, and that you would like to state that your plan was to read during the meal, and to please not take offense as you are going to take advantage of the time to read and not join in conversation. Then nose down into the pages I would go. Sometimes explaining your plight allows others to become comfortable with you reading at the table.

I'd still think it rude if someone at a table sat reading and ignoring everyone around them. That's not social behaviour, and if you don't want to be social you shouldn't sit at a table with other people.....if there isn't a way for you to sit alone in the MDR, one should either make an effort not to be rude to others, or eat somewhere else solo. We can't always get what we want, but we still should be civil to others and not be rude.

We can't always get what we want, but we still should be civil to others and not be rude.

.if there isn't a way for you to sit alone in the MDR, one should either make an effort not to be rude to others, or eat somewhere else solo.

If someone requests a private table and the cruise line is too lazy to accommodate, they really should be denied their meal because they would prefer to read than to converse?

Telling someone they should not be allowed to eat in the MDR unless they are willing to socialize with you is quite absurd

I think others here have done a fine job illustrating how to remove awkwardness in a group setting. I can understand no one wants to sit through a meal feeling awkward, but if someone says hello and smiles, e.g. exchanging pleasantries, and then dives into a book it would not bother me in the least and if that's how they enjoy their meal, so be it.

Who am I to tell them they need to dine elsewhere? For that matter, who are you to tell them either? That is what is rude.

If someone requests a private table and the cruise line is too lazy to accommodate, they really should be denied their meal because they would prefer to read than to converse?

Telling someone they should not be allowed to eat in the MDR unless they are willing to socialize with you is quite absurd

I think others here have done a fine job illustrating how to remove awkwardness in a group setting. I can understand no one wants to sit through a meal feeling awkward, but if someone says hello and smiles, e.g. exchanging pleasantries, and then dives into a book it would not bother me in the least and if that's how they enjoy their meal, so be it.

Who am I to tell them they need to dine elsewhere? For that matter, who are you to tell them either? That is what is rude.

I never said someone should not be allowed to eat in the MDR, or that they should be denied a meal........I said it would be rude to read when there are others at the table. If someone wants to be polite and social, they should not eat at a table with others (in the MDR or elsewhere) and read.

But, hey, it's your vacation and if you want to be rude to people, go right ahead. Just don't kid yourself into thinking that it's neither rude nor selfish.

I never said someone should not be allowed to eat in the MDR, or that they should be denied a meal........I said it would be rude to read when there are others at the table. If someone wants to be polite and social, they should not eat at a table with others (in the MDR or elsewhere) and read.

But, hey, it's your vacation and if you want to be rude to people, go right ahead. Just don't kid yourself into thinking that it's neither rude nor selfish.

Don't know who you are aiming that comment at; perhaps read the thread and see that I agree. But if the cruise line is the one being too lazy to give a private table, then OP should still read wherever they want.

As others have said try to get a table by yourself to read. If you do get stuck with others try to join in the conversation. However, if your table mates are boorish or boring feel free to take out you book and start reading. They might think you are being rude but the upside is they will never bother you again for the rest of the cruise! That's a WIN in my book.:D

not so much any more.. we are finding more and more than the staff will not make it easy to be seated just your party unless you will fill a table by yourself. and usually the 4 tops.

I would most likely consider someone who buried their nose in a book, ipad or game boy rude. but I would not be bothered if you chose not to engage in idle conversation. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt there (language barrier, incapable of being coherent before your third cup of coffee, hungover. etc). you can read after the meal.

I have never had any issue getting a table by myself at any meal in any dining room.

I travel by myself and read during lunch but I eat in the Lido. I often have to share a table (not that many two-tops) but I am usually reading when someone else sits down at the table. If they are offended they should pick another table since they could see I was reading. The one time I ate in the MDR for lunch I requested to sit by myself because I wanted to read.

Thanks for your input everyone! Much appreciated. I will definitely ask for a table for one. If I can't get one and I am seated at a big table with strangers, I will make small talk initially and then ask if anyone minds if I read. I'm sure everyone will give me "permission" to read. Hopefully all will go well.

Courtesy (possibly defined as being the opposite of rudeness) can be seen as reacting appropriately to a given social situation. Sitting at a table with others on a cruise ship should be seen as a social situation. Accordingly, if you sit down at a table where someone else is already sitting, picking up your book or kindle and starting to read would be your ignoring them - after joining them - and certainly should be considered rude. Alternatively, if you are already sitting by yourself at a table and reading, someone then sitting down would be entering the existing social situation, so they should have no reasonable expectation of social interaction -- you may continue reading.

In this question - as in so much else - context counts.

Maybe they should reserve a table to put the readers at so they can all be rude to each other :D:p. Sorry. I'm a reader too and read through my lunch daily. I cruise with my husband and family so I can't say that I have done the solo thing yet...but if the time comes and I do then I would definitely request a table for one. I would just be too uncomfortable reading with others at my table...especially if there not reading too.

Seems courtesy is becoming a 'lost art'.

Some of the social isolation of not speaking in person but by text and e-mail; keeping one's eyes fixed on smart phones, working on line......

People are forgetting (or never learning) how to politely interact with others.

i sailed solo on the emerald princess 1/14-1/18. anytime dining. there was a woman reading a book at the table next to mine when i was seated. both tables were a two-top.

i smiled and asked how she was enjoying her book. she immediately replied she liked it but was happier that she had someone to converse with during the meal. she closed the book and we chatted through the dinner. sometimes a book is a prop to guard against looking lonely and sometimes not.

Guess I grew up in the burbs where it was bad manners whether dining alone or with others to read while eating. Have any of you thought about the diminished food enjoyment while concentrating on your book? Try it.To fully appreciate a good meal, put the book away or stay home.

Guess I grew up in the burbs where it was bad manners whether dining alone or with others to read while eating. Have any of you thought about the diminished food enjoyment while concentrating on your book? Try it.To fully appreciate a good meal, put the book away or stay home.

What a sad comment

I'm definitely not going to stay home just because what I enjoy doing doesn't meet with your approval, you know, being raised in the burbs and all. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's a good suggestion. I've asked for a table for one many times and was told "no" by the waiter. I will be much firmer next time!

What cruise line? Can't imagine being told no - never had a problem in MDR at lunch/breakfast/dinner.

Sail primarily RC and although not always solo don't always eat same time as family or friends. Don't read at the table - but often just want a quick bite, especially for lunch, and get a table for one. Find that quicker than joining a group table and staff has never said no.